Author Topic: Scooter wont start - no spark  (Read 2453 times)

Stevejb50

• View Profile
Scooter wont start - no spark
« on: July 16, 2015, 01:23:15 PM »
My scooter decided to stop working last week. It was fine on monday then tuesday wouldnt start. Turned out there was no spark. Replaced the battery as it kept going flat about a week before. Ive now put a new coil and cdi in but still wont start. Stator tests ok with multimeter as does the coil. The new cdi makes a high pitched humming noise as soon as the key is turned to on. The old one makes a fast clicking noise. Is the normal and what else can i try. Also when testing the two leads from the cdi to the back of the coil they are reading about 6 volts just with the ignition on is this right? I would have expected them to read zero unless cranking the engine over.

Thanks

tortoise

• View Profile
Re: Scooter wont start - no spark
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 02:47:10 PM »
Stator tests ok with multimeter
Unclear if the trigger coil was also tested?  This video is for an AC-CDI ignition system, but the trigger coil testing guidelines should be valid for a DC-CDI ignition system.  Replacement resource.

! No longer available

Stevejb50

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 03:52:27 PM »
Yes i tested trigger pickup as well. Tested ok as did continuity from the pickup to the cdi.

Stevejb50

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2015, 03:53:03 PM »
Ok so i have tested all wiring from cdi. There is no power feed from the stator only the pickup wire as my bike is DC. There is a 12v feed going into the cdi from the back of the ignition switch. Pickup wire from stator is fine. Coil is fine as tested it on another bike. But what i have found is that there is a voltage of 14.5 to the black/yellow wire on the back of the coil with the ignition switched on but it drops to zero as soon as the green wire is attached to the coil. I have checked on another bike that runs and there is no voltage showing at the back of the coil until it is running. Also the 14.5 volts spikes to around 15.5 just as the ignition is switched off and then the voltage SLOWLY drops to zero. When holding a spark plug to the engine it does occasionally produce a spark but it is very weak.

Any ideas please?

Stevejb50

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2015, 08:13:39 PM »
Ok next question does anyone know of a forum where people actually answer coz this 1 is absolute bullsh** . 68 f***in views and not 1 cunt decides to answer. Report me or whatever im not coming back on here anyway its total f***in sh**!!!!!!

jeeves

• Dubrovnik, Croatia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2015, 10:15:16 PM »
Ok next question does anyone know of a forum where people actually answer coz this 1 is absolute bullsh** . 68 f***in views and not 1 cunt decides to answer. Report me or whatever im not coming back on here anyway its total f***in sh**!!!!!!
Man, you need some anger management...
Good luck, bye, don't let the forum door hit you on your way out.
Agility City 125

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2015, 08:01:07 PM »
Well said, jeeves!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()