Author Topic: a bit too fast...  (Read 4130 times)

Budz

• View Profile
a bit too fast...
« on: July 20, 2015, 11:28:29 PM »
Riding my GT300i, I am inclined to ride it fast! In the city and on the few occasions I am on the free way (usually an exit or two). I looked down at the speedometer the other day and it read 83 MPH! I think that is too fast on a scooter for me, mind you the Dr. Pully sliders I bought are still sitting on my desk and not installed on my scooter. I think it's time to sell my GT300i before my luck runs out. Looking at a slower scooter something like a Vespa GTS300 ABS/ASR...

Anyone have similar thoughts...
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 11:49:17 PM by Budz »

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
Just
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 11:52:04 PM »
Back off on the throttle, numb nuts. :o
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

Budz

• View Profile
Re: Just
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 12:00:17 AM »
Back off on the throttle, numb nuts. :o
LOL...that's the point, the GT300i is such much fun to ride fast, it's hard to back off the throttle...

Mscmkr

• View Profile
Re: a bit too fast...
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 12:21:48 AM »
If you go down you will back off on the throttle. I used to ride mine like you do. Now that I'm back riding again I do the speed limit everywhere I go. I am very aware of how fast I am going at all times. My GT does like to go fast but I make damn sure I am at a safe speed at all times. I was speeding when I got in my wreck and if I wouldn't have been I probably would not have had the accident.
    Don't blame the bike for your lack of discipline. It's your life riding that bike and it's your responsibility to make sure you're safe. The bike you're thinking about getting will kill you just as easy as your GT will if you don't take the neccesary precautions to ride safe.
    Go on YouTube and look motorcycle crashes and see what happens when people ride bikes. That may be enough to get the point accross.
    And I'm being blunt on purpose because I don't want you to go through what myself and a ton of other riders have. I was DAMN lucky! You just might not be!

Budz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 07:17:14 PM »
If you go down you will back off on the throttle. I used to ride mine like you do. Now that I'm back riding again I do the speed limit everywhere I go. I am very aware of how fast I am going at all times. My GT does like to go fast but I make damn sure I am at a safe speed at all times. I was speeding when I got in my wreck and if I wouldn't have been I probably would not have had the accident.
    Don't blame the bike for your lack of discipline. It's your life riding that bike and it's your responsibility to make sure you're safe. The bike you're thinking about getting will kill you just as easy as your GT will if you don't take the neccesary precautions to ride safe.
    Go on YouTube and look motorcycle crashes and see what happens when people ride bikes. That may be enough to get the point accross.
    And I'm being blunt on purpose because I don't want you to go through what myself and a ton of other riders have. I was DAMN lucky! You just might not be!
Yes, I see your point, hence my post of slowing down and selling my bike. My post was really to see if others find riding the GT300i draws one to speed...

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 10:31:09 PM »
Yes, I see your point, hence my post of slowing down and selling my bike. My post was really to see if others find riding the GT300i draws one to speed...

The DT can do the same thing.

Both accelerate smoothly/quickly and can catch you off guard.

Just think of the old muscle cars....I lost 6 friends in a 1970 Chevelle SS in 1978. :'(
"There is a Fifth Dimension beyond which is known to Man. It is a Dimension as vast as Space and as timeless as Infinity......It is an area which we call 'The Twilight Zone' .   "Rod Serling

PapaSoldTheHarley

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 10:11:54 AM »
The DT can do the same thing.

Both accelerate smoothly/quickly and can catch you off guard.

Just think of the old muscle cars....I lost 6 friends in a 1970 Chevelle SS in 1978. :'(
I had friends "Buy it" in a 396 Chevelle...

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2015, 07:36:23 PM »
Some way, folks, ...you need to learn to enjoy riding a motorized 2 wheeler at a slower speed.
If you really need the thrill from very fast riding, taking curves at the limit, etc. -- save your $ for a set of leathers and do a "track day" once a month.
All the speed you can handle, nothing is going to cut across your path, and when you go down you will just ruin the finish on your leathers and your scooter.

On the street you will find large machines driven by careless people who will NOT see you coming...or decreasing radius curves strewn with gravel or .......
You name it - but the risk to you and your scooter is vastly multiplied when you speed.
Slow down, stay in the traffic line, cover your brakes and do a slight roll-off and stare down every car at a side street...
Stay the heck away from busy strip malls which have multiple lanes and  dozens of drive entrances & exits. ( a local LIKE200i was crushed at one 2 yrs ago - they still haven't found the driver. The rider was cruising as though he was in a car....rather than sitting on a plastic scooter.)

Speed. Absolutely no place for it while on any public road. It is not an accident so often. Just too much speed.

Sure, you can get hurt while riding at safe speeds - but we all know that every darn biker accident would have been better at a lower speed - almost every time.

One old instructor told us to take the wind screen off - so you can feel the speed if that is what blows your skirt up....or play a video game.
Stig
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 07:38:20 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2015, 08:13:29 PM »
Some way, folks, ...you need to learn to enjoy riding a motorized 2 wheeler at a slower speed.
If you really need the thrill from very fast riding, taking curves at the limit, etc. -- save your $ for a set of leathers and do a "track day" once a month.
All the speed you can handle, nothing is going to cut across your path, and when you go down you will just ruin the finish on your leathers and your scooter.

On the street you will find large machines driven by careless people who will NOT see you coming...or decreasing radius curves strewn with gravel or .......
You name it - but the risk to you and your scooter is vastly multiplied when you speed.
Slow down, stay in the traffic line, cover your brakes and do a slight roll-off and stare down every car at a side street...
Stay the heck away from busy strip malls which have multiple lanes and  dozens of drive entrances & exits. ( a local LIKE200i was crushed at one 2 yrs ago - they still haven't found the driver. The rider was cruising as though he was in a car....rather than sitting on a plastic scooter.)

Speed. Absolutely no place for it while on any public road. It is not an accident so often. Just too much speed.

Sure, you can get hurt while riding at safe speeds - but we all know that every darn biker accident would have been better at a lower speed - almost every time.

One old instructor told us to take the wind screen off - so you can feel the speed if that is what blows your skirt up....or play a video game.
Stig

Bamm !
Nail hit squarely on the head.

AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

Budz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2015, 12:34:30 PM »

Stig
Well said, Stig!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 10:33:57 PM by Budz »

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2015, 12:21:57 AM »
I'd say the fact that you're concerned about driving too fast is a good thing. I'm finding similar urges with my new DT. Gone are the days of being left behind by people who cut me off, tailgate me, or drive while on their cells. The urge to chase them down is there, with the ability to deliver. But that's road rage. Giving in to that leads to worse things.

Not sure if I read it somewhere, or an instructor told me, but its something to think about -- don't drive faster than you can think. Like Mscmkr said Youtube is filled with those idiots. Aa my wife reminds me when we drive, the world looks better at 40 mph, than at 50, 60, 70, or 80.

Just wondering, but wouldn't a Vespa GTS 300 go as fast as your GT? I saw a woman the other day driving one in Philly along a river drive. She was doing 60 + in a 35 road sans helmet, jacket, or eyewear with ballet shoes. Think she had a death wish.

-Wolf

mrbios

• 2005 Kymco Grandvista 250cc
  • Just crusing along on my 2005 GV250
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2015, 09:19:40 PM »
Sometimes the best thing is to sell it.  I had a friend with a gsxr 1000 and one day the bike was gone and I asked him what happened. "sold it." Me: why I thought you liked it?  Him: I did but I lost respect for the power.  I get another bike when I'm ready.  And that's what he would do.  Just the though of having no scooter may straighten you up.  Much of the time speeding is the result of emotional driving which can be fueled by anxiety or stress which increases your chance of an accident.  I've been riding on and off for over 20 years.  It requires self control.
PaulC

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2015, 12:46:37 AM »
Sometimes the best thing is to sell it.  I had a friend with a gsxr 1000 and one day the bike was gone and I asked him what happened. "sold it." Me: why I thought you liked it?  Him: I did but I lost respect for the power.  I get another bike when I'm ready.  And that's what he would do.  Just the though of having no scooter may straighten you up.  Much of the time speeding is the result of emotional driving which can be fueled by anxiety or stress which increases your chance of an accident.  I've been riding on and off for over 20 years.  It requires self control.
Very cogent post.....
I WOT'd my Forza one time on a very rare venture onto a highway (2 X) - had to merge quickly and cross 3 lanes.
And I enjoyed the heck out of that smooth running scooter (& prettier than the matt grey Burgman) for 365 days....without using all that acceleration. (it left my garage a year to the day I brought it home, just days after that WOT)
But that is my personality. Rode my Honda the same way when I was 20. Riding is fun as heck - never needed the speed.
Still don't.
I really don't know what to say to those who do.
Thanks, Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

mrbios

• 2005 Kymco Grandvista 250cc
  • Just crusing along on my 2005 GV250
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2015, 02:34:02 AM »
... Riding is fun as heck - never needed the speed.
Still don't.
I really don't know what to say to those who do.
Thanks, Stig

Sometimes, when I see sketchy driving on the street or highway I feel like retreating to the car but I keep going.  I enjoy getting around on two wheels....
PaulC

2wheelfun

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2015, 12:55:06 PM »
CO is tough on speeding tickets, almost impossible to beat and stay on your driving record for 7 years. No traffic school option to get it dismissed or any other reductions. Good way to slow down a lot of folks. Some say My Kawi 250 will do 90 if needed, I'll never know, too light of a bike to find out and I don't do big city interstates. Lane changers are my biggest fear or having a Honda civic plowing into my ass going 80mph.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()