Author Topic: ....kept the LIKE & bought a Burgman AN400  (Read 4725 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
....kept the LIKE & bought a Burgman AN400
« on: July 22, 2015, 06:56:13 PM »
Well, after 100 miles on the new-old-stock 2013 Burgman AN400 :

Never rode behind a windscreen before - so maybe all the engine noise is normal.
This screen is probably great for (smaller) Asian riders - but it stinks as a shield for normal sized Gringos.
EVERYbody, it seems, yanks it off for a bigger Givi or even a smaller sport screen.
Me too, I ordered a French made short/sport an hour ago.
The stock screen carries the wind and noise right into your helmet....very nasty at anything above 30MPH. Spoke with a guy who has to ride one at 80MPH on the freeway in SoCal - he doesn't sleep well. Waiting for his Givi.
The good news is that it is even easier than the Forza screen to replace.
I can't wait! Never put a screen on my Forza - and always liked the ride.

The Burgman has a nice ride - equal to the Forza -
Still breaking in the engine per the manual for 500 then 1000 miles...obviously a single cyl. 400 is going to be less smooth than a 287cc Honda engine, at least at the low speeds I have to stay at during break-in.
Replaced the 27 month old Denso plug for a proper NGK Iridium today - will see how it does.
The oil & filter were changed at 45 miles (same reason - been in there for 27 mos)
Gear oil soon as my service manual gets here.

The 130C.C.A. battery will be replaced this fall with a 180C.C.A. Yuasa....there is plenty of room for a 1" taller battery (as I did in my LIKE)
The missing oil light is due to needle bearings, or some such, they tell me. Scoot runs on less Oil. Pr.
Yellow ABS light stays on until about 5MPH to let me know it's working.
The Bigger FORZA dash was easier to read - day or night.
Like the Forza - I had to adjust the head lights further down the road - and both are lit at hi and low beams! VERY good lighting. Nice big tail lights.

This is a heavy scooter -- 489 dry wt. ! and I can feel it in the garage...but once underway it is fine. About 2" longer than my Forza.

One very nice feature is that the seat back can be moved back in five 10mm increments.
That extra 2" is amazingly more comfortable on this nice big seat!
I can tuck in my knees and have inches to spare from the facia....and my feet can sit further forward.

I preferred the red Forza to these gray/black variations....not sure any recent 400 Burg had shiny paint! Darn shame. Mine is "Thunder Clouds Over People Fishing Near Martha's Vinyard Metallic Fog, over Dry Michelin Tire Skids in Spain Flatte Noire"....or some darn thing.
Looks gray and black to me. I will learn to like it. (my only other choice was all flat black, which my daughter liked, as I could be Bat Man)

This is a big scooter

The plug was easy to replace with one center panel to pop off with just 2 pop-it things.....looking in there at the cylinder head cover....which - because of the bucket and shim set-up - I won't have to visit but every 4 yrs or so. Burgman guys have a pretty good DIY on the valves. I've had the full shim set since I bought the Forza a year ago. ($38 on eBay)

Build quality and paint and panel thickness and fit - are impressive. Made in Japan, which was a surprise to me.

I like this scooter. Still going out to look at it in the garage every few hrs. Hard to believe I have a new Burgman.....when I started with a LIKE 3 summers ago. They both do the same things - just in very different ways.

Servicing shouldn't be a problem....with my tools and a manual and a forum and plenty of  videos. No problem with parts here in the States.

When I get that wind out of my neck I'll be better able to be happy sitting on it while it's moving!!*
Stig
(* my wife hid the jigsaw)

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

2wheelfun

• View Profile
Re: ....kept the LIKE & bought a Burgman AN400
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 07:52:10 PM »
Nice lookin scoot there, you need a new helmet. Yellow does not match the scoot. Unless you like to look like a bumble bee out and about..............I'll bet that has some oomph for passing and hills.

scooterdad2324

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 03:27:05 AM »
That's a dang nice scooter and I hope one day I can have one that nice. I'm proud for you Mr stig. Keep on scooting around bud Lol

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 05:26:59 PM »
Like you, I have a big maxi scooter (Majesty) and smaller scooter (Super8 150).  I find the smaller scooter is more fun for short trips around town and the big scooter better for road trips.  It's nice to have both and enjoy the advantages of each.

Like you, I ended up getting a scooter in a color I wasn't crazy about but then you really don't see the color when you're riding it.  Like you, I also have a yellow helmet which adds a little color to the rider/scooter combination.  At least yellow goes with everything ;D

Congrats on the new scooter.  I'm sure you will enjoy it.

I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 05:57:03 PM »
Nice scooter there Stig. With the Burgman you could ride out west and cruise the PCH.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 07:09:45 PM »
You just gave me another reason to hate you! Good on ya, Stig! You should enjoy that or yer doin' sumpthin' wrong!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 12:52:00 AM »
Nice scooter there Stig. With the Burgman you could ride out west and cruise the PCH.
Oh man, wouldn't that be something.
I'd check in to a cheap motel and take sunrise rides* up and down the coast for a week!
(**my favorite time to ride. )
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 12:52:50 AM »
Way to go. You sure are getting the experience of riding different scooters. Expand that knowledgebase. Maybe someday I will get the funds to move up in size. Your through reporting about your experiences will help us all. Enjoy the ride!
Wayne

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2015, 12:57:06 AM »
You just gave me another reason to hate you! Good on ya, Stig! You should enjoy that or yer doin' sumpthin' wrong!

Karl
Karl, I will paypal you 5 bucks to call my local salesman and tell him I've passed on his best OTD price on a Burgman. You have such a gentle way of dealing with folks in a dealership......

However, I'll still need to go in there for oil & stuff - so, maybe not a good idea to let you handle this....

But I'd want you in my NDP anytime!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2015, 01:22:19 AM »
Way to go. You sure are getting the experience of riding different scooters. Expand that knowledgebase. Maybe someday I will get the funds to move up in size. Your through reporting about your experiences will help us all. Enjoy the ride!
Thanks wkreps !
My apparently un-fixable LIKE, which developed the TPS failure - compounded by an unresponsive dealership- led directly to the Forza purchase.
Being able to blast around on 55MPH country highways on the Forza with a feeling of security - led to wanting to take the Mrs. along. She agreed. (her parents rode on a Royal Enfield in the 50's, which helped my cause tremendously, plus she likes scooters and the idea of scooters)

Looking for increased load capacity --- i thought about the Burgman and the Majesty and a Silver Wing for a long time, and passed on a big 500 Piaggio BV. Got a good price for the Forza (the pix had a lot to do with that I think. The buyer was very impressed with the beauty of that red scooter when I emailed a doz. pictures)....and an equally good left-over price on the Burgman...and it all came together in 24 hrs.

I hope to put quite a few miles on the Burgman for as long as I'm able to ride safely.
Family has a Hx of debilitating senior issues which could develop in about another 8 - 10 yrs....and this 489lb Burgman is about all I want to handle.
Was looking at the sticker you made for me yesterday....took a long sunrise ride on the 6mos anniversary of that event a few days ago. (1-13-2015)
Wish you well with your scooter, too, Wayne.
Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

2wheelfun

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2015, 06:26:23 AM »
When a 500lb scoot gets too heavy just ride a 250lb scoot. As long as I can ride 2wheels I'm going for it. I'm 54 turning 55 real quick and that factored into getting the kawi 250. No regrets, I sure do miss that movie 150 though. What a great city scoot!

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2015, 12:23:07 AM »
When a 500lb scoot gets too heavy just ride a 250lb scoot. As long as I can ride 2wheels I'm going for it. I'm 54 turning 55 real quick and that factored into getting the kawi 250. No regrets, I sure do miss that movie 150 though. What a great city scoot!
I'm the same age, and because of what Stig said in his post, I am thinking about taking early retirement from teaching after next year. I can always get a part-time job, but life is just too short to miss enjoying good times with the family and all those great rides I could be experiencing. Love having you guys here for comradeship!
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

PapaSoldTheHarley

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2015, 06:03:33 PM »
Well, after 100 miles on the new-old-stock 2013 Burgman AN400 :

Never rode behind a windscreen before - so maybe all the engine noise is normal
(* my wife hid the jigsaw)
On Youtube :) there is a young fellow named Mitch with a lot of main. & repair videos (great stuff and believe it or not he is deaf, he works around it!). Another source (not that you couldn't find these yourself) is the Burgman USA forum, there was a guy called himself Le Dude or something like that? Dozens of videos on the Burgeons... Nice Scoot!

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2015, 06:19:22 PM »
Stig, I started my scooter experience in 2012 at 67 and I still ride my Like LX every chance I get. I do regularly ride it at 50-55 on our Oregon farm roads, so far so good. Glad to see you got the Burgman so now can enjoy some longer jaunts with the missus!  8)
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

Dolemite

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2015, 08:51:32 PM »
(Long time no post) Welcome to the "Like to Burgman" club! Congrats! the dash lights on yours are prettier than mine :(  I got my 2012 Burgman new last year and have put 10k trouble free miles on it. If you're looking for a better windshield, take a peek at the Givi Airflow for the 400. I've been planning on getting one for a while, met a guy at Amerivespa last year that swore by his. You can put it up for highway, colder weather and lower it for more airflow in hotter months or for around town riding. In the UP position the air passes above your head, makes things quieter and leaves your neck a little less sore after a long/fast ride. http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/givi-af266-airflow-windscreen-suzuki-burgman-400-2007-2014

Oh and second on the Mitch's youtube channel. He's pretty much the reason I got a Cheeseburgman. Everything you'll need to know for your first services is in a playlist under Mitch's Scooter Stuff.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 08:54:46 PM by Dolemite »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()