Author Topic: where is that battery tender??  (Read 2897 times)

ispud

• View Profile
where is that battery tender??
« on: December 09, 2009, 02:02:15 PM »
hrrrrmmmmm?

:)>>

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: where is that battery tender??
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 04:11:08 PM »
Did you look under the tarp on the back of the work bench?
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

ispud

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 04:14:30 AM »
That's where it was!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 03:40:32 PM »
I thought soooo!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

ispud

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 09:40:08 PM »
need another one!  The Aprilia is all set up for cigarette plug is so it get this one.  My Kymco is jealous.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 11:54:42 PM »
If you get a 12v (input) battery tender you can plug it into the Aprilia, and "nurse" the Kymco until it is weened. My Grandpa built the first 120v AC car but couldn't get more than an extension cord length form the shop. Not to change the subject... I was going to clean the house tonight (for a HOT date) but my neighbor borrowed my leaf blower, any ideas?

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 09:40:52 PM »
If you get a 12v (input) battery tender you can plug it into the Aprilia, and "nurse" the Kymco until it is weened. My Grandpa built the first 120v AC car but couldn't get more than an extension cord length form the shop. Not to change the subject... I was going to clean the house tonight (for a HOT date) but my neighbor borrowed my leaf blower, any ideas?

... a match?  cigarette lighter?  LOL

as for the tender, seems like a week on the Ape and then a week on the Kymco sounds like a workable plan with only one tender.  You can get multi-battery tenders but I think the price is much higher.

garibaldi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 06:12:41 AM »
... a match?  cigarette lighter?  LOL

as for the tender, seems like a week on the Ape and then a week on the Kymco sounds like a workable plan with only one tender.  You can get multi-battery tenders but I think the price is much higher.

I have this huge ex-Uhaul diesel truck that has 2 monstrous big giant batteries. I used my 1.5 amp schumacher motorcycle "battery maintainer" to charge these batteries together when they were too drained to crank the truck. Took about a week, but got them charged. And the little yellow light turned green after this week of charging, so that means it was done and wasn't over-charging right? Which means the "protection circuit" wasn't goofed by having 2 batteries on at once, right?

So, what if you put a set of jumper cables from one bike to the other, and kept them both going at the same time? Brain is stalled, so someone would have to inform as to which end of what wire would go where... but I don't see why it wouldn't work. (Just don't hook it in series, as that would make 24v and blow up the charger.)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2009, 06:57:56 AM »
the only potential problem with that is if one battery requires more "maintenance" than the other, one will be getting over charged or burned. I have done the same as you describe, charging up to four 28 series marine lead acid batteries off a single 10 amp charger. Maintenance however is a different issue.

ispud

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2009, 06:12:13 PM »
one is here at work and other is home in garage - be needing some long ass jumper cables!  The Kymco is home - started it this am for about 10 minutes of running - not sure if I am helping matters doing this - would feel better if I could turn lights off.  Started right up - no complaints - it wants back on the road - I might have been able to ride this morning as most snow is gone, but I fear the occasional icy spot - so it has to sit tight for a bit.  Added some Stabil (SP?) to both gas tanks - one ounce per gallon.  Last winter I did a giant pre winter prepare the Scabby for winter storage - it was parked for maybe 2 weeks, so this winter I forgo all the drama.  Hopefully not to curse myself with a long, wet, cold winter.

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2009, 06:39:25 PM »
I've been adding just a li'l SeaFoam to every tank these last few weeks. It's not like I'm going to park it for more than a few days at a time, since this is my only vehicle, but it doesn't seem to mind the extra help keeping the jets clean and clear.

garibaldi

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2009, 10:43:11 PM »
the only potential problem with that is if one battery requires more "maintenance" than the other, one will be getting over charged or burned. I have done the same as you describe, charging up to four 28 series marine lead acid batteries off a single 10 amp charger. Maintenance however is a different issue.

I guess that's a good point. I don't know enough about batteries to understand all this "charging" junk. I always view electricity stuff like water, and a battery like a jar. I figure if 2 are hooked together, and one is "full", the excess electricity will just flow over to the other one. Doesn't the resistance go up when the charge level is full, which would make the electricity go to the other easier target? Oh well, I guess it don't matter anyway since a 1 amp charger couldn't push enough electricity over a wire many miles long... lol.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()