Author Topic: shorted solenoid ?  (Read 2645 times)

webzen

• View Profile
shorted solenoid ?
« on: August 08, 2015, 06:22:52 PM »
Hi just back from nice 3 mile walk pushing the bike after the like 200i died on me and my wife.  I could hear a whining noise and when I turned off the bike, the starter was going.  I could not turn off the bike, so i tried to ride home and it died on the way.  After it died, no lights or anything, totally dead.  Battery is fine and the red switch by the thumb I'm quite sure is fine.  So, I'm off to check for a shorted solenoid and possibly burned out starter motor.  Any other ideas gents ?

webzen

• View Profile
Re: shorted solenoid ?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 07:07:29 PM »
Just got it apart.  Battery is totally dead and solenoid is shorted.  I removed it and the solenoid is 1ohm when it should be open.  I'm off to buy a car solenoid to replace it with something heavier duty.  2nd time this thing has bitten me in 2,500 miles.  Recharging battery hoping it will live.  fuses are not blown oddly, the 2 at the battery. are there others?   I hope the starter is not burnt.

tortoise

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 07:41:34 PM »
2nd time this thing has bitten me in 2,500 miles
Include the SYM RV200, which has a kick-start lever, in your replacement research.

! No longer available

webzen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 09:06:25 PM »
Doesn't seem to matter if you have a kick start if your electronics have shorted your battery.

webzen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 09:18:31 PM »
after destroying the solenoid to inspect it, it appears it is supposed to be closed circuit when disconnected.

webzen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2015, 09:36:35 PM »
I just put the charged battery back in with the solenoid removed.  Battery says 12.7 V.
Both fuses at the battery checkout fine.  When i turn on ignition I get nothing, no lights at all.  Is there another fuse I'm missing ?  Are there more than 2 fuses (right by the battery) ?  I just removed the steering cover and there are no fuses there.  The start switch and the kill switch both checkout functional.  Thanks !
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 10:16:28 PM by webzen »

webzen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2015, 10:23:24 PM »
I just put the charged battery back in with the solenoid removed.  Battery says 12.7 V.
Both fuses at the battery checkout fine.  When i turn on ignition I get nothing, no lights at all.  Is there another fuse I'm missing ?    I just removed the steering cover and there are no fuses there.  The start switch and the kill switch both checkout functional.

1. Are there more than 2 fuses (i only see 2 right by the battery) ?
2. Is there a legible schematic ? The one I have in the Service Manual pdf is illegible.
3. How do i remove the starter please ?

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2015, 11:27:31 PM »
Using cyclepedia manual:
"Starter motor does not stop turning when key shut off > starter relay shorted or stuck closed"
only the 2 fuses by the battery
starter is gold colored cannister held on by 2,  8mm hex bolts.
A few panels have to come off to get at it I think (front/center by your heels and side panel)
cyclepedia.com has a flow chart for trouble shooting starter
also has a prestty clear wiring diagram
Recommend purchasing this book or the on-line manual if you're keeping this scooter
I can try to paste the starter chart page here.....can't read the wiring diagram if I shrink it down to fit page (both orig. are very clear - copies not so)
Stig
Need more let me know
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 11:33:59 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

webzen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2015, 10:48:25 AM »
Thanks for the reply.   I will be selling the scooter once I fix it.  Any way to get a clear schematic?  I cant get any lights on even with solenoid removed.  Any suggestions please?  I ordered a new solenoid and should be in Thursday.  A clear screenshot of the schematic can be emailed to kfocus@gmail.com if possible?  Thanks very much.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 10:52:14 AM by webzen »

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2015, 11:53:37 AM »
Thanks for the reply.   I will be selling the scooter once I fix it.  Any way to get a clear schematic?  I cant get any lights on even with solenoid removed.  Any suggestions please?  I ordered a new solenoid and should be in Thursday.  A clear screenshot of the schematic can be emailed to kfocus@gmail.com if possible?  Thanks very much.
When I get home from church today will give the screen shot email a try.
Hang in there
Sorry for your experience
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

webzen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2015, 02:47:01 PM »
Thanks so much.  Any first suggestions on where to look for no lights totally dead bike?  Do you know if there are only those two fuses by the battery?

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()