Author Topic: snow on roads  (Read 4642 times)

ispud

• View Profile
snow on roads
« on: December 09, 2009, 10:10:16 PM »
We got our first dumping on Monday - put the ps250 way in the front of the garage, hope I don't run into it when I park my car!  Also hope the snow and ice goes away so I can get back to testing hand warming devices.  Took it to Costco last Sunday - about 10 miles and thought my fingers were going to fall off.  An hour latter and no cold hands on the way home - I am guessing it's because I took my gear into the store with me and it got warm, so when I left I started with warm gloves, instead of the cold ones I had starting from my garage.  Want to try some chemical hand warmers, but they say - start 30 minutes before you use - my rides are mostly 20 minutes, they last for 8 hours, can you turn them off or once started they do til dead, they said do not put on bare skin and that's where I want to put them - though I do have some ski gloves with little warmer pockets, but I like my big warm cycle gloves.

:)>>

axy

• View Profile
Re: snow on roads
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 10:55:02 PM »
We got our first dumping on Monday - put the ps250 way in the front of the garage, hope I don't run into it when I park my car!  Also hope the snow and ice goes away so I can get back to testing hand warming devices.  Took it to Costco last Sunday - about 10 miles and thought my fingers were going to fall off.  An hour latter and no cold hands on the way home - I am guessing it's because I took my gear into the store with me and it got warm, so when I left I started with warm gloves, instead of the cold ones I had starting from my garage.  Want to try some chemical hand warmers, but they say - start 30 minutes before you use - my rides are mostly 20 minutes, they last for 8 hours, can you turn them off or once started they do til dead, they said do not put on bare skin and that's where I want to put them - though I do have some ski gloves with little warmer pockets, but I like my big warm cycle gloves.

Install heated hand grips like I have both on Agility and People.
Also, you can buy on ebay battery heated handgloves, around 30 US$ or more... I did not try them though.

---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

ispud

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 01:14:13 AM »
think my plug in the pet carrier will power gloves adequately, without doing any damage?

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 08:29:18 AM »
think my plug in the pet carrier will power gloves adequately, without doing any damage?

Yes, it will, there will be no problems.
However, I was suggesting el cheapo option that has battery pockets on gloves themlseves. Gloves that have external connection are much more expensive.
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

ispud

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 02:04:18 PM »
studying both.  First I think I will try out the chemical hand warmers.  The battery gloves I see are either very cheap or rather expensive (to me anyway) - saw some plug in one that were about in the middle - thinking they may be more reliable?  So little time!

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 02:10:24 AM »
...i've bought me some 10 dollar gloves from walmart for my Christmas present to me...

..I ride 17 miles @ 5:30 AM each morning to work...

..today it was 24 degrees F and my hands never got cold...

..my biggest delima is keeping the wind outta my face...
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

ispud

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 09:16:56 PM »
windshield!

I rode my bike home from my shop the the other day - mid 20's f - I thought I was going to die - my hands hurt!  Still no answer to this problem for me - will keep plugging away.  My full face helmet sure keeps my head nice and warm - never a problem there.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 11:27:18 PM »
My full face helmet sure keeps my head nice and warm

..i made a flap out of an old black canvas bag..hot-glued a strip of velcro to it..when it's below 35 degrees F, I attach it to the inside front of my fullface to block any wind from coming up into it...I also wear a balaclava and a tight fittin' toe-boggin' (as we call 'm around here) beneath my helmet...

..wind is our enemy...

peace

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2009, 03:23:28 AM »
Bike Bandit has a bad ass face sock on sale for 9.99  It's got the bottom half silkscreened like a skull jaw. I used to wear them snow skiing.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2009, 03:24:39 AM »
..dude..i saw a guy on a crotch-rocket wearing one of those the other day....

..he didnt wave back...

;D
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 01:59:58 PM by wordslinger »

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2009, 01:01:25 PM »
In 2002 I was arrested and detained for a couple of hours for wearing a balaklava.

I woke up around 6.30 pm after afternoon nap and decided to go to the gym. Took my gym bag and hopped on Kymco Cobra Cross I had at the time.
The gas tank was empty so I decided to go to the gas station and fill it up.

I have removed the helmet and went inside to pay for the gas (it was a self service station where you fill it up and go inside to pay to the clerk). When I exited from the gas station and wanted to take off, cops pulled me over and without much questions, they put me in the police car and drove to the station few kilometers away.

Few hours later, I found out that somebody robbed a supermarket few kms away, the guy had a black balaklava and was 5 ft 11 220 lbs just like me, so they detained me, just in case.

Local chief of police is a friend of mine so I called him from the station to bail me out, I was out in 2-3 hrs after submitting a statement and I was back on the road to gym.

So, be careful with balaklavas... from then on, I tend to take off helmet and balaklava at the gas stations.

Beat this story if you can. :)
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2009, 02:01:08 PM »
...that is pretty bad...good thing you didn't get the body cavity probe and all thatt...

:-\

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2009, 06:45:55 PM »
...that is pretty bad...good thing you didn't get the body cavity probe and all thatt...

:-\

Cavities not tampered with, to my personal liking...
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2009, 11:13:35 PM »
In 2002 I was arrested and detained for a couple of hours for wearing a balaklava.

I woke up around 6.30 pm after afternoon nap and decided to go to the gym. Took my gym bag and hopped on Kymco Cobra Cross I had at the time.
The gas tank was empty so I decided to go to the gas station and fill it up.

I have removed the helmet and went inside to pay for the gas (it was a self service station where you fill it up and go inside to pay to the clerk). When I exited from the gas station and wanted to take off, cops pulled me over and without much questions, they put me in the police car and drove to the station few kilometers away.

Few hours later, I found out that somebody robbed a supermarket few kms away, the guy had a black balaklava and was 5 ft 11 220 lbs just like me, so they detained me, just in case.

Local chief of police is a friend of mine so I called him from the station to bail me out, I was out in 2-3 hrs after submitting a statement and I was back on the road to gym.

So, be careful with balaklavas... from then on, I tend to take off helmet and balaklava at the gas stations.

Beat this story if you can. :)

Damn. . . I thought that kinda sh*t only happened to me!  Got me beat!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2010, 01:07:23 AM »
There was this one time at band camp... You know what thy say Axy...All Croations look alike. In New York City those face masks are illegal. You can actually do time for wearing one, what kind of a world have we made~   Gives a new meaning to "FREEZE"   
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()