Author Topic: Stalling dowtown 300i  (Read 2951 times)

Going Downtown

• View Profile
Stalling dowtown 300i
« on: August 18, 2015, 08:16:48 PM »
My dowtown 300 starts up with no problem but once you ride it a little and shut it off and attempt to start it again it doesnt want to start?  I dont know what the problem could be....its warmed up and all but it doesnt want to start after its been ridden.  Anyone have any idea?  This is a fairly new problem after the dealer changed the oil.  Its so annoying, I guess a trip back the the shop if I can't figure it out,Can anyone help? Thanks in advance

jimboeau

• View Profile
Re: Stalling dowtown 300i
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 09:43:35 PM »
My dowtown 300 starts up with no problem but once you ride it a little and shut it off and attempt to start it again it doesnt want to start?  I dont know what the problem could be....its warmed up and all but it doesnt want to start after its been ridden.  Anyone have any idea?  This is a fairly new problem after the dealer changed the oil.  Its so annoying, I guess a trip back the the shop if I can't figure it out,Can anyone help? Thanks in advance

How many miles on the scooter?  Sounds like it could be the valves need adjusting.  When the valves are too tight you can stall at idle after the scooter is warmed up. 

scrollderf

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 02:20:07 AM »
Sounds like vapor lock, but I do not know how to solve the problem. Check the gas lines to see if they were moved to a  location close to a heat source.
Formerly 03 AA500 now DT300

spikebites

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 05:36:47 AM »
You know, I posted something about this before..

http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=13422.msg133977#msg133977

are these the same symptoms that you are having?

If so try their suggestions.  I actually never did try the "reset".  For me, the problem kind of eventually went away.  But I believe the reset might help.

An Orange Crush

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 10:52:46 PM »
This is similar to my problem, and its an old one. Mine will start like a champ after sitting all night in the cold, but parked out in a hot parking lot all day, it`s a chore to get it started.
I`ve tried everything, 1. the TPS reset, 2. the initialization reset, 3. always making sure the gas tank is not overfilled, etc
And nothing works.
2011 DT300i
2009 SYM HD200 (sold)
2009 Kawasaki Brute Force 750i
2023 Kymco AK550
A couple really nice shiny helmets

"I`m a man, but I can change. If I have to.
.....I guess....."

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 09:56:16 AM »
Is the gas cap venting properly?
My LIKE200i was forming a vacuum in the tank....could hear air rushing IN, not out, when I cracked open the gas tank cap.
Worked with the cap and blew compressed air through it, cleaned it etcetera, it started breathing in properly and no more vacuum in the tank.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2015, 09:16:50 PM »
Mine gets real "crabby" when I do a hot restart. That's a hot day starting shortly after a longish run OR sitting in the HOT sun for a long time (not too often). I usually "play" with the throttle during start attempts which gets her running followed by normal idle. What I think is happening is the heat causes fuel to leak past the injector causing an over-rich mixture. This allows a brief couple of power strokes followed by engine out. Super rich then precludes normal start.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

An Orange Crush

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2015, 01:36:11 AM »
I either have to try and park in the shade or start it the hard way which is to hold the start button for a few seconds, let off, do it again then let off, then about the 4th or 5th time I pump the throttle while holding the start button and will start every time.
Funny thing is, its fuel injected so technically hitting the gas should`nt do anything but it does.
I`m so accustomed to doing it that I dont let it bother me anymore, I wish I knew what else to do but Shrugs
2011 DT300i
2009 SYM HD200 (sold)
2009 Kawasaki Brute Force 750i
2023 Kymco AK550
A couple really nice shiny helmets

"I`m a man, but I can change. If I have to.
.....I guess....."

Going Downtown

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2015, 05:40:32 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2015, 10:17:18 PM »
Just curious.
What does the owners manual say to do if the scoot does not start in the normal manner?
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2015, 01:17:13 AM »
Sez to use the flooded spark plug procedure which is to open throttle all the way while cranking. I have serious doubts about this method since it does not work.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()