Author Topic: RIDING IN 35 DEGREE (WIND CHILL 25 DEGREE ) WHO ELSE  (Read 15569 times)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: RIDING IN 35 DEGREE (WIND CHILL 25 DEGREE ) WHO ELSE
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2009, 03:28:58 PM »
ThThThThAAAANNNNNNKKKKKSSSSSSS!11!!1!!!1 BBBRRRRBRBRBRRRRRRRRR.. That's my hands shaking in the ccccccoollllddddd
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2009, 04:30:01 PM »
Personal record was -18°C (-0.4°F) on a 50cc scooter 60km (one way) to the office. Time about 1:45 h:min instead of usual 1:30 because of ice/snow on the road. At that time I had no special mc equipment, only jet helmet and several layers of normal clothes.
I'm not anxious for repeating that trip. -11°C last winter was enough for an old man.

topaz6turbo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2009, 10:16:21 AM »
Ive got to be honest, when it gets cold here it gets cold and damn wet. Were in a dairy farm area of the state and home is 20km from the beach, and with 3 cars to choose from, I dont think I will be riding thru winter. I used to ride a lot when I was younger and got cleaned up by a car in my late teens. After 14 weeks in hospital, and 9 months on crutches I decided to never ride again. I turn 40 in a few months and figured this was a nice way to maybe consider getting back into bikes so its a lifestyle choice as opposed to a nessecity. Sure I love the economy like everyone else, but I want to ride for pleasure, not dodge the puddles and get a wet arse!
Be good,
Holty
Ps, Ive had it 6 weeks now and just completed my 2000km service at 2100km with a 10/40 full synthetic and did the trans oil at the same time with a full synthetic. The engine oil was dirty but the trans oil looked brand new!

winginman

• View Profile
    • Accugen DNA Service
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2009, 03:59:05 PM »
Just got in from riding to work.  It was a crisp 34 this morning.  I have good warm jacket and insulated chaps but my hands seem to always get cold.  I have tried a number of gloves and still get cold hands.  I have one pair of gloves with pockets for the little hand warmers.  I found if you put one of these small packs in the glove pocket about 20 minutes before a ride your hands stay nice and warm.  Made a big difference in enjoying the ride.  Found em at Sam's club for 12.99 for a box of 32 pair.  Thats about 40 cents a ride for warm hands.  They stay warm for 10 hours.  :)
Jim
09 Kymco 500Ri (His)
04 Aprilia S500 (Hers)
01 Honda GL1800 (Ours)
DNA Paternity Testing www.accugendna.com

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2009, 12:44:22 AM »
...gotta check me out some of those gloves...it was a balmy 31 on the 17 mile ride into work this evening...

..6 inches of snow on the ground..

..had loads of fun last night playin around in my driveway while it was snowing...

..made a mess of my scoot but sliding the ass-end around doin doughnuts was a blast...

..not nearly as much fun as when I hit this one patch of icy road while running @ 40mph today tho...

..i actualy started to drift a bit sideways before I came back onto the pavement...

..i'm still pullin my underwear out the crack of my ass from that...think there's about half my seat in there also...lol..

peace
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2009, 01:55:04 AM »
You may even find that extra spark plug cap! Ride safe...
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2009, 04:01:29 AM »
I ride year round here in NC.  It's pretty nice so far this year, just got our first freezing temps last night!  I have a Craft "long john"  base layer with Gore Windstopper panels in the front and Craft gloves with Windstopper as well.  They work great!  Beyond those I just wear a sweatshirt and my Oakley snowboarding jacket and full face helmet with all the vents closed.  When it's really cold I'll wear my Oakley snowboarding pants as well.  I also wear DeFeet Woolie Boolie socks.  The main trick I have found is cutting the wind penetration and I'm fine.  The Gore Windstopper works wonders, and Oakley makes some of the best technical clothing I have run across!

...absolutely...if you can stop the wind from getting to your skin, a thermal layer, then a good thick cotton layer, then the outter insulating, wind blocking layer works well...doesn't take much wind getting in to make a big difference...especially if the temps are below 35 F...

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2009, 08:01:32 PM »
Just been outside, thermometer shows 19 F on my P250S. :)
However, tomorrow I am going to work in my car, as I bought two new Dunlop Runscoot tires for gf's Agility 125, so I need to take them to the mechanic to wait for her to come for replacement...

They are on! :)
The service for both tires has set me back 16 US$.
The scoot has 13.500 kms and this is the first tire change. Looking at thread depth, the original tires would have at least 13.500 kms more in them, but they are quite flat and this does not allow leaning in curves as I would like. OEM tires were quite "flat" from day one.... different curvature than other manufacturer's tires, I guess.
I did not drive the scoot after Dunlops were installed on the scooter, so more info on this later...
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2009, 08:17:01 PM »
...24 degrees F this morning....15 mph headwind...@ 43 mph....anybody figure that wind chill factor??

peace

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2009, 08:48:39 PM »
-60 degrees for comfortable scootin'

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2009, 12:48:31 AM »
-60 degrees for comfortable scootin'

...no....   -60??

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2009, 04:07:47 AM »
NO 60 degrees below riding comfort, not zero...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2009, 04:10:24 AM »
...oh hell yeah...I agree with that....

..i was cold by the time I got to work....

..don't think I would have wanted to ride another 5 miles...

..just my luck, I didn't get caught by a single stop-light...I do so love red lights on those ccccolld mornings....
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 04:29:13 AM by wordslinger »

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2009, 04:27:11 AM »
...I miss summer, so i do...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2009, 04:30:43 AM »
Axy, You should most certainly keep that mechanics #. VERY FAIR... It's a whole new scoot with some new rubber!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()