Author Topic: Upgrade path for agility 126  (Read 14521 times)

topaz6turbo

• View Profile
Upgrade path for agility 126
« on: December 13, 2009, 02:21:12 AM »
Hi All, been snooping around here for a while having a look and have decided to post. I bought a Kymco agility 125 with 31km on the clock 2 months ago and have now done 1800km. I have just ordered a new exhaust, 1500rpm torque spring, Bando belt, 11g Dr Pulley weights and an upgraded cdi. I am awaiting arrival now, as we live in Australia and the goods are coming from the states, and while I was shopping around I saw the big bore kits and camshaft upgrades. Im seriously looking to fit the 170cc kit, so I dont have to bore the casings, and was wondering if anyone has been down this path before, and there experiences either positive or negative. I love the scoot and use it daily, so not interested in going to a bigger scooter, and enjoy having a play so give me your thoughts. What else will need changing with such an upgrade, and what issues can anyone see that I might have?
Thanks
Andrew

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
Re: Upgrade path for agility 126
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 02:39:55 AM »
Well, you won't like my answer.

I don't personally know anyone who was happy with their big bore kit mods. Almost to a one, you're sacrificing reliability for whatever performance gain there is in going to a larger cylinder. The best scooter mechanic I know said, "There's a reason they put that engine in THAT bike, and believe me, the people who designed it are a lot smarter than you or I." I tend to think there's a bit of truth to that.

If you want more performance, get a bigger bike, period. If you like the Agility, keep it, too!  There's no shame in having more than one scooter.  :)

topaz6turbo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 03:20:09 AM »
So even the basic 150cc upgrade isnt viable? They bare the same engine in that regard, simply slightly larger, can that be so bad? Why have people been unhappy, reliability? Performance? What areas have been dissapointing? Sorry to be a pain, just want the facts before I decide.
Thanks
Andrew

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 06:55:56 AM »
I can only speak for myself, so I will! I LOVE the improvement on my zx/50! 2 1/2 years ago I installed a Malossi bore kit, and ALL the extras that would enhance the kit! Jpres. is CORRECT in saying MOST people are unhappy after their mods. I have found that the main reason is incompatible parts. Just because an OFF BRAND supplier says something will work doesn't mean it will. For example; If you install a full flow air filter, and "performance" exhaust alone, I promise you will melt your piston faster than you can get it to the shop to show off your handy work! All the parts MUST be carefully planed out to work together. Only buy the TOP OF THE LINE PARTS! There is always a risk of a poor install, or incorrect sequencing of installation, but a well planed, and funded modification can produce a well tuned, and most of all reliable machine. The Manufacturer builds a solid well rounded machine designed to require as little maintenance as is possible. You can modify your machine to gain more performance, and you will have to spend alot more time maintaining it. Fortunately scooter are easy on the wallet as far as oil, and MOST spare parts. Some things are just overkill when it comes to big bore kits. Find the most common size, and tune the Hell out of it. I have seen 125cc "stroker" kits for the dio/zx, and I think for a few laps around the circuit they would be the most fun you could have on a "throw away" motor. But you want to ride for a few years...right? Pick a common size jug kit, form a TOP manuf., install your cdi, work on the cvt to get it all to the ground. You will have to re-jet your carb to get the extra fuel, so now is where you can lay low, and let the piston/cyl. break in. You can next add the cam, exhaust, and free flow air filter. (a little more re-jetting) After that it is all cosmetic; race stickers, lighted valve stem caps, whatever... My highest recommendation is to stay away from distributors or local dealers until you have TALKED to the techs. at a company like Malossi, Pollini, NYC ect. Everyone has their own in house recommendation, but if you want power, and reliability TALK to the people that have designed the parts for those purposes. Then you can shop around for the best price on the best parts. You could always PM me for more info on what MY experiences have been, and I will tell you here that taking a 35mph 50cc scooter to a 63mph 70cc scooter has been one of the most fun and least expensive hobbies I have had! Just to finish in the last 2 1/2 years I have replaced only my rollers, belt, clutch springs, and tires, due to wear. I melted one piston due to poor quality 2t oil, and replaced three cdi's. (the cdi I now purchase direct from Suitia w/ NO trouble so far). So I don't want to go against the flow but I believe you can get a LOT more out of your scoot if you do it right the first time! Just MY opinion...
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

topaz6turbo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 08:02:26 AM »
Sensational! Thats what I like to hear. I have been searching and reading as much as I can for sometime now, have found the local guys know stuff all, and have founf a bloke in the states who seems to be on the ball. He rides what he sells, has been extremely competitive and easy to talk to, and if he doesnt know something, has told me! I am going to go with the kit, all thru the one shop, so I have a reliable source to go back to. I have spoken to a bike tuner in Melbourne (300km away) and they are set to do the dyno tuning once I have finished the build, so will advise how it goes.
Keep any positive or negative advice coming, if you have an opinion I want to know!
Thanks
Andrew

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 10:53:29 AM »
The BEST advice I can give is go 1 step at a time. If something is not working right it is easier to figure out what it is. Also you will KNOW what each part is doing so it will be easier to trouble shoot down the road. G'day Mate!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

jprestonian

• View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2009, 04:37:59 PM »
So even the basic 150cc upgrade isnt viable? They bare the same engine in that regard, simply slightly larger, can that be so bad? Why have people been unhappy, reliability? Performance? What areas have been dissapointing? Sorry to be a pain, just want the facts before I decide.

It's not that it isn't viable; it's that you'll spend a lot more time working on it (and in most cases, I've seen guys who spend as much time, if not more, tweaking and tinkering than riding). If that's appealing to you, you may enjoy the mods life -- a lot of people do!  For me, my time is worth money, so every hour I have to spend dicking around to get my bike running adds $65 (the going rate, locally) to the bottom line. For me, I'd rather buy another, larger bike that was designed to have the performance AND reliability I desired, as in the long run it'll be more cost effective, for me.

Again, if you're not the type to be disappointed that instead of going on a planned ride with your pals one Saturday, you instead spend it swapping jets out of your carb, etc., you may be entirely happy going this route. If I had 4-5 bikes, I probably wouldn't hesitate to trick one out. As it stands, I want the one I have to start every time I need to use it, and not break down and need a push home... but that's just me!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2009, 06:38:01 PM »
All that pushing is the only exercise I get! What with scoot'in to the store instead of walking or riding my bike! For quite awhile I was into radio control boats, planes, and cars. It was the same thing then TWEAK that little sucker till it SCREAMS! You're right! You got to LOVE it!

jprestonian

• View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2009, 08:25:45 PM »
:lol:

I hear ya, zombie. That's the point I wanted to make to our new friend -- you will have to love the constant tinkering, as it's quite likely you'll spend as much time doing that as riding. I've seen a lot of folx expect to kit a bike and have the same bike with better performance... but it's just never that way. If this sounds like fun to you, then by all means...

Once I'm in better financial shape, I will get another 50cc 2T, and another 125cc. Once I'm there, I will tinker with the 50, 'cause they're so much fun just stock, even. But the folx I know who have a mostly-successful kit experience are almost all 50cc 2T riders.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 10:23:24 AM by jprestonian »

topaz6turbo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 09:57:12 AM »
Ok, well to get started I have ordered the following. An unlimited uprated CDI unit, a 1500rpm torque spring, a set of 11g dr pulley sliders, a bando replacement belt, and an alloy sports exhaust system. They have been posted and I (impatiently) await there arrival. Im going to fit these under the advice of my supplier, and if everything works the way he suggests it will, I will then be going to the 170cc big bore kit along with airfilter and a dyno tune early in 2010. Is there anything I have missed that you think I might be missing and need?
Thanks
Andrew

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2009, 04:52:09 PM »
Stiffer springs on the clutch shoes will help give you a better launch. The 11gr Dr. pulley's will get your scooter rolling sooner than stock so to keep your rpms up stiffer springs will allow a later lock up in the clutch. 12-18 $ will make a big difference.

topaz6turbo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2009, 09:15:58 AM »
Clutch springs are on the way. I cant wait to get all my stuff and fit it up. It will be an interesting path I reckon. I will sey some baseline figures before I start and assess as I go for reference.
Be good,
Holty

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2009, 12:19:50 PM »
...I'v done some basic mods to my A50, and have had some success so far...however, I kinda feel like Jpres on this one..

..dang, wish this wasn't my only ride..it'd be so cool to have the only (50) 4t around that'd run 60 mph...

..keep us informed on your progress...

peace
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

topaz6turbo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2009, 06:08:24 AM »
Ok, I got the new Alloy Exhaust system the day before Christmas in the post. I have just fitted it now. The engine pipe didnt suit, so I had to cut the flange, change the angle and extend the engine pipe a little to suit. The mounting brackets for the muffler were damn close, but made the muffler sit too low for my liking, so I adjusted that as well. It looks really sweet on the bike, weight nearly half the standard pipe, and sounds so nice. Very deep and a lot louder. It does get off the mark better, but seems to be a little worse off on the hills. I suspect it is over exhausted at the moment, but once the rest of the goods come I will then re-assess the system as a package. All up the muffler cost me $30US and is worth it in weiught saving and sound alone! I took pics and will post them once I work out how and can be bothered. Im still bloated from Christmas lunch!!
Andrew

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2009, 07:42:10 PM »
Well there is a Merry Christmas story... The decrease in power at the top end is most likely a lean condition due to the better flow from the pipe. There are several ways to adjust that. You can open your carb., and get the jet size off your current jet. Order the next 4-5 sizes up, and try them 1 at a time doing plug readings untill you get the right ratio for your top end. Here is a link to a plug guide that may help...http://www.dansmc.com/spark_plugs/spark_plugs_catalog.html   . You may then find it is too rich in the lower to mid range so you will want to lower your needle 1-2 notches to lean out these areas. It is critical you do not run your engine lean as this will melt your piston, and or burn the valves. Re- jetting is mandatory after changing MOST pipes. You may also want to order your free flow air filter at the same time as you will have to re-jet when you install that item. Your idle circuit should also be adjusted a little richer to add the extra fuel your engine now requires. The way I have been adjusting jets is to drill them out w/ either pinn drills or tourch tip cleaners to get the size. If you go too far they can be soldered to start again. Try to stay off the higher rpm ranges untill you get the jetting sorted out. Hope this helps!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()