Author Topic: Forums can be amusing!  (Read 2834 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Forums can be amusing!
« on: August 25, 2015, 09:50:34 PM »
I won't go into details - but recently read a very long series of comments regarding ABS and 2 wheel riding in a scooter forum that is frequented mostly by the old guys who buy these bigdam maxi scooters.

One rider wrote a very long & detailed comment stating that, basically, ABS was over-rated, barely worked on wet roads, too often failed to work when really needed (not that he found a time when it was needed) etc., etc.....
And to finish off his thesis he stated that it was so darn obvious to anyone with half a brain that a skidding tire produces the maximum possible stopping ability and the shortest possible stopping distances during normal panic stops.

But what made me blow coffee out my nose was the next poster in that thread.
His post: "Oh, this is going to be good...."

I love these old guys - some of 'em will rip you a new one over just about anything...but some have a real funny streak.
Might be the difference in their meds.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

blue

• View Profile
Re: Forums can be amusing!
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 10:41:29 PM »
Im Sorry ill take my meds.

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 10:43:42 PM »
I don't need no stinking ABS by gum! If my scooter starts to lock up I'll jest put down my size twelves and bring 'er to a perfect stop.  ::)
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 10:50:57 PM »
I don't need no stinking ABS by gum! If my scooter starts to lock up I'll jest put down my size twelves and bring 'er to a perfect stop.  ::)
B-Blue, can't tell from your avatar - if you've got the Genuine Kymco Chrome Plated Crash Bars ....USE 'em! Lay your LIKE over on the side and S L I D E your way into that crash!
 That's what they're for - for Pete's Sake!!
I think...
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 12:21:39 AM »
LOL not a fan of ABS personally, but that's funny about a skidding tire creating maximum grip.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

Dolemite

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 01:34:37 PM »
I've got the same Burg as you Stig... and in the 10 or so emergency stops i've made while riding it the ABS has never needed to kick in... because the those dual disks up front can do a whole lot of stopping before they lock up. I guess it's good to know they're there in slippery situations but i've never needed them yet.

ABS is one of those topics like fuel grade, synthetic vs dino oil, just something to disagree on.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2015, 02:07:08 PM »
I've got the same Burg as you Stig... and in the 10 or so emergency stops i've made while riding it the ABS has never needed to kick in... because the those dual disks up front can do a whole lot of stopping before they lock up. I guess it's good to know they're there in slippery situations but i've never needed them yet.

ABS is one of those topics like fuel grade, synthetic vs dino oil, just something to disagree on.

Dole.....
10 emergency stops?!
You must be riding in Rome or Bangkok at high noon.
In any event....you might want to roll off that throttle a bit.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2015, 04:43:53 PM »
Heated arguments by old farts are more entertaining than funny failed YT vids.

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2015, 07:44:02 PM »
Dole.....
10 emergency stops?!
Stig

I wanted to post that when I first saw it but I'm always the wet blanket here.
Ten emergency stops is not good.

AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

Dolemite

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2015, 06:21:19 PM »
Dole.....
10 emergency stops?!
Stig

All I can say is come take a ride around Mobile some time, people love to pull out into traffic without second thought. Half the times, a phone is visible, the other half are old women in land yachts.
Old women in land yachts with their phones out... I just stay indoors.

2wheelfun

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2015, 11:23:45 PM »
OK scooter rooters, riddle me this. Say you have a burgman 400cc and a similar weight M/C [No ABS] with front and rear disc brakes. Comparable CCs too. Say both bike are going 50mph in a straight line and when they hit a white line both drivers brake. Say both drivers are experienced so that's not an issue. Which bike will stop in the shortest distance? Assuming a dry road on a sunny day..................The M/C w/o ABS will!

Doc Wheezer

• Silently riding armed through the Mojave Desert.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2015, 12:07:46 AM »
OK scooter rooters, riddle me this. Say you have a burgman 400cc and a similar weight M/C [No ABS] with front and rear disc brakes. Comparable CCs too. Say both bike are going 50mph in a straight line and when they hit a white line both drivers brake. Say both drivers are experienced so that's not an issue. Which bike will stop in the shortest distance? Assuming a dry road on a sunny day..................The M/C w/o ABS will!

Myths Busted: Anti-Lock Braking Systems
http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/Features/RideReports/AntiLockBraking.apex

Myth: ABS may allow you to stop with more control, but it will take you longer to come to a stop.

This myth is generally based on the assumption that a locked-up wheel provides the most traction possible. This isn’t true. A skidding tire has less traction than a tire that is not skidding.

Here’s how ABS works. Speed sensors measure the rotational speed of each wheel. If a wheel risks locking due to intense braking or slick conditions, the ABS unit modulates hydraulic pressure in the braking system. Not only does the system maintain the “sweet spot” of maximum stopping force that occurs before lockup, but by avoiding lock-up, the inertial effect of the spinning wheel is maintained, stabilizing the motorcycle.

By keeping the wheels from locking up and skidding when you grab the brakes, ABS not only allows you to maintain some control, but it allows you to stop in a shorter distance.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 08:28:38 AM by Doc Wheezer »

2wheelfun

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2015, 01:15:19 AM »
We'll agree to disagree in a friendly way ok. Let's put it to the test. Cross the white line I will stop on my Kawi KLX250s before your ABS equipped bike, scoot doesn't matter. Loser buys lunch.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2015, 01:06:06 PM »
Leaving the ABS thing alone for a moment.....
Was just thinking about Formula One cars......when they skid into, or in, a corner
they lose position to the car beside them which has kept his tires rolling.
In short, a braking and rolling tire stops shorter than a skidding tire. The skidding tire has broken through its adhesion to the pavement, and is now sliding.
These F1 guys work hard at NOT skidding their tires when approaching a corner....because they will pass by the other car which is not smoking his tires......and be headed for an off road adventure.
Skidding increases your stopping distances....not shortens it.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2015, 09:34:38 PM »
When ABS was introduced, an expert rider could almost always stop faster without ABS than with it on clean dry pavement.  It had nothing to do with rolling vs skidding tires.  It was due to the ABS starting to kick in before the tires reached maximum braking.  ABS keep  getting better so I'm not sure this would happen in all cases on a modern bike.

However, the big benefit of ABS has always been on wet or slippery surfaces.  In those conditions ABS could normally outperform the experts. 

Of course, most riders aren't experts and they get the most benefit from it. 

I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()