Author Topic: Kymco like rider of 3 months - what should i upgrade?  (Read 2070 times)

nes712

• View Profile
Kymco like rider of 3 months - what should i upgrade?
« on: August 31, 2015, 02:51:54 AM »
I purchased my like on june of 2015. Love this scooter, 5'5 so i dont have the cramped-problem that i have read about this scooter although the seat does need to be reworked - its too low, i liked the people 300 configuration. firm, and good height.

anyways, i love my scooter, its a fun ride. aesthetically it looks interesting to me. but now i want to go faster - i actually need to go faster since i got a new job and i wouldnt mind getting on the freeway to save some time. i thought about upgrading to the downtown but its not within my budget and i would actually prefer to upgrade some parts to increase performance

so the question (finally)

whats the first thing you did to your like? ive read about the exhaust, air flow....what would you suggest.

LidoCA

• I LIKE chinese plastic.
    • View Profile
Re: Kymco like rider of 3 months - what should i upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 03:05:40 AM »
Chrome and racing stripes work best for me.
Steve
I have ridden well over 17 miles on my scooters.

2013 LIKE 200i LX.
2016 Yamaha SMax
2014 Yamaha Majesty
La Mirada, Ca.

beermak

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 03:28:46 AM »
13gr Sliders... Thats all.
Dont spend time and money on other upgrades. They arent worth its gain. My personal oppionion.

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 10:48:20 PM »
Hello,
Welcome fellow LIKE owner.
You have asked a pretty common question regarding the LIKE200i.
"How do I make it go faster so I can commute on the highway?"
Very common question.

I'll give you my short answer:
"You can't. You need to buy a bigger scooter."
The LONG answer:
A well tuned LIKE200i, which has been properly run in, can reach speeds of @56 > 63 MPH on a flat surface with no head wind.
A hill or a head wind will slow you down.
Rough surfaces will slow you down.
Passing trucks will blow you about.

It is the opinion of some LIKE200i owners that this is a wonderful urban street scooter. Right at home on city streets.....
and that this scooter is in no way suitable (read "safe") for travelling on limited access highways where traffic is moving at 65 to 80 MPH. You have no reserve throttle when riding at 60MPH....None.....and there is a very real chance that you will not be able to maintain 60MPH.

The LIKE is too light, too short and the wheels are too small for freeway riding. Mainly those first two issues.
Can it be done? Sure - but not safely --- and there is NO magic accessory, of any kind,  that will make the Kymco LIKE be able to run at 65 MPH on a daily basis. You might see 65 riding down hill....but the scoot is unstable and unsafe to be ridden at those speeds.

Different oil; different gas; different muffler; different CVT; different spark plug, sliders, coil, fuel pump. tires, wind screen......etc. will not "upgrade" the LIKE to go 70MPH. There are similar sized engines in other brands of scooters which can hit 70MPH - but the LIKE cannot.

The LIKE is not a freeway cruiser. It's a fine urban city/street scooter for one large, or two light, riders.

If you need more speed - you need to shop for a different scooter - or find a route to work that avoids the freeway.
I've been riding and reading about the LIKE200i for 2+ years. I have read how people have nearly destroyed a perfectly fine small scooter by trying to "upgrade" it for "more speed". (see the Honda PCX forums) so I hope you will ask for more feedback from your dealer and from mechanics more experienced than me - before attempting any major upgrades.
A 50cc 2-stroke can be "upgraded" in several ways to make it run significantly faster - but not the 163cc 4-stroke LIKE engine .

Please remember, this is just my opinion on the matter of making the LIKE200i a freeway capable scooter.....
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

LidoCA

• I LIKE chinese plastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 11:05:46 PM »
Yes, what Stig said and chrome. Seriously, the LIKE is a fine scooter. It is meant to cruise around town, not run all day on PCH at 65. I have tried.
Steve
I have ridden well over 17 miles on my scooters.

2013 LIKE 200i LX.
2016 Yamaha SMax
2014 Yamaha Majesty
La Mirada, Ca.

PapaSoldTheHarley

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 01:28:30 AM »
Stig and LidoCa told you the "Straight Skinny"(truth)...

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 03:20:27 AM »
Welcome to the forum. Same answer from me; great scooter for city streets and country lanes, NOT a freeway scoot! 60 mph is the real top end not 65-70. Get a good map or phone app and find the roads less travelled, you will enjoy the view.  ;)
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 03:57:50 AM »
I find the Like to be right at home up to 50 mph with 35 to 45 being its sweet spot.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()