Author Topic: Blew it up when jetting?  (Read 6488 times)

dirtyd

• View Profile
    • Scooter Invasion
Blew it up when jetting?
« on: December 14, 2009, 05:58:18 AM »
i figure I blew it up.  

I installed a performance air filter on my agility.  Started with 98.  After warm up, I gave some gas and scooter revved up and sounded ok.  Went down the road to do plug chop and went about 1/2 mile when I felt the engine lose power.  Didn't make any noise or die right away, but had noticeable decrease in power.  It still revved when given more throttle, but when I turn around to go back it slowed and died.  Now it won't start at all.  Put everything back, stock airbox and 82 jet that came with derestrict kit.  

I get spark on plug, but changed it anyway.  Bowl full of gas.   Gas coming out of new air filter before I changed it back. When I took off carb to change jet back to 82, I felt for suction at intake manifold and had suction.  Lots of gas inside airway in carb.    

Everything back stock now and still won't start.

After only now reading wordslinger's post that he has 110 main, I now figure I was way too lean and blew it up.  I'm not sure what else it could be.  I had to push it back in the dark so I'll double check all connections and try again when the morning comes.

Guess i'll end up doin that 72cc kit anyway.
Daniel
----------------------
'06 SYM Jet Euro X 50
'09 Agility 50

juice

• View Profile
Re: Blew it up when jetting?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 06:19:59 AM »
You should try a people 50 $1999.00 . Derestricted clutch boss 45-50 mph . Good luck .
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 06:25:59 AM by juice »

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 06:23:12 AM »
I'm a bit doubtful that you blew the motor after running only 1/2 mile with a potentially lean condition.  The difference of 98 and 110 jets is ultimately not much!  Assuming that 110 is the proper size jet; it seems that you may blow the motor eventually, but not within 1/2 mile.  I could be wrong though!  I would start by running back through the carb and making sure everything is working properly.  My bet is that it's just something simple!  Good luck!

Redundant

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 11:45:57 AM »
If you have not installed a big bore kit the a 98 main is probably too rich.  Sounds like you flooded you carb and it needs to be drained and let to dry out.  I run a 90 main, and alot of people who don't have big bore kits installed run 88 ones.  Gas coming out of the filter and in main airway is way flooded.

dirtyd

• View Profile
    • Scooter Invasion
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 04:23:46 PM »
You should try a people 50 $1999.00 . Derestricted clutch boss 45-50 mph . Good luck .

I figure If I have the money to get a new one, I'm gonna go with the Super 8 2t.  I love how it looks and the 2t should be able to go fast too.  Probably same engine as the Super 9, and representative of kymco says it will retail for the same, $1999!
Daniel
----------------------
'06 SYM Jet Euro X 50
'09 Agility 50

dirtyd

• View Profile
    • Scooter Invasion
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 08:42:50 PM »
So I completely rebuilt the carburetor, cleaned it up good,  Checked all connections again, even checked valve clearance which I doubted had anything to do with it, but I checked it anyway.  Everything is just the way it was when it was stock.
Still not running.

Guess it's going to the shop.
Daniel
----------------------
'06 SYM Jet Euro X 50
'09 Agility 50

Dr. Moto

• www.Enviromoto.com
    • View Profile
    • Enviromoto
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 11:57:10 PM »
Are you absolutely certain your getting fuel?

Get 10% off your order by using code "Kymcoforum" in Google Checkout.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 12:21:56 AM »
I have to agree w/ DRmotto. It is most certainly a simple problem, and like shaka said there is not enough time for a lean (slightly) condition to burn a healthy piston! HOWEVER... The first thing to look at is the spark plug. I posted on your other thread a link to an NGK troubleshoot page I will post it again here. Let it all sort of fall to the back of your mind for a day or so, and look at it all FRESH. There is most likely something simple that you over looked.  If you want to give up I will pay to UPS the scoot to Fla. Just kidding, but the real is you can find the problem with the help of the people that post here! Patience my brother...............If jpres. reads this he will have another archive of "do not f*ck with it if it ain't broke" !!!!!!!!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

dirtyd

• View Profile
    • Scooter Invasion
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 01:22:36 AM »
I put my hand over the airfilter side of the carb to check for suction, got suction, and had gass on my hand when i pulled it away.  After pushing back to the house i noticed gas dripping out of the air filter,  and there was a puddle on top of the engine from dripping off the carb.  seems like it was getting fuel.    after rebuilding the carb and putting everything back stock, i did same thing and still get gas on my hands.  I'm at a loss. 

Next it's The Scooter Garages turn to diagnose.  I'm gonna drop it off tomorrow.
Daniel
----------------------
'06 SYM Jet Euro X 50
'09 Agility 50

dirtyd

• View Profile
    • Scooter Invasion
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009, 03:22:04 AM »
Well thanks to Josh at The Scooter Garage, the Agility runs great.  Might even picked up a couple of mph.  (Still not too fast though!)

There was a carbon deposit that attached itself to the exhaust valve right where it seals.  Turns out the 98 was WAY LEAN. The valve itself also had a small lip on the very edge that might have kept it from sealing correctly to begin with, and the amount of stuff he cleaned off the piston head probably got back a cc or so! lol

I'm gonna hold off screwing with jetting and that air filter till I have the money to fix my screw ups again.

Thanks for your help Josh!  I really appreciate it.

I guarantee when wordslinger reads this, he'll say, "I told ya so!"
Daniel
----------------------
'06 SYM Jet Euro X 50
'09 Agility 50

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 03:43:23 AM »
That's great!  I'm glad you got it worked out!  Josh seems like a real good guy! 

dirtyd

• View Profile
    • Scooter Invasion
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 04:24:24 PM »
Thanks for your input guys, I appreciate it!
Daniel
----------------------
'06 SYM Jet Euro X 50
'09 Agility 50

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2009, 05:24:03 PM »
Well thanks to Josh at The Scooter Garage, the Agility runs great.  Might even picked up a couple of mph.  (Still not too fast though!)

There was a carbon deposit that attached itself to the exhaust valve right where it seals.  Turns out the 98 was WAY LEAN. The valve itself also had a small lip on the very edge that might have kept it from sealing correctly to begin with, and the amount of stuff he cleaned off the piston head probably got back a cc or so! lol

I'm gonna hold off screwing with jetting and that air filter till I have the money to fix my screw ups again.

Thanks for your help Josh!  I really appreciate it.

I guarantee when wordslinger reads this, he'll say, "I told ya so!"

...I run a 90 main, and alot of people who don't have big bore kits installed run 88 ones.

...wow...I was really beginning to doubt what I thought I knew about my carb jetting...Do you know what jet you wound up with??

..I've been fooling around with different jet sizes for a cpl weeks now, and I kept coming back to the 105...

..haven't been on here much, due to all the time i've spent trying to prove that my setup wasn't even close...dang...
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

Dr. Moto

• www.Enviromoto.com
    • View Profile
    • Enviromoto
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2009, 06:18:45 PM »
Carbon buildup is a result of a rich condition if it was running lean it would have been light brown if it had any carbon on it at all. I wish I had a Agility to mess with there is something a bit different on the engine that is a mystery. I know flex is running something like a 88 main and has had great success with his 72cc bbk.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 06:21:21 PM by Dr. Moto »

Get 10% off your order by using code "Kymcoforum" in Google Checkout.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2009, 06:47:47 PM »
Carbon buildup is a result of a rich condition if it was running lean it would have been light brown if it had any carbon on it at all. I wish I had a Agility to mess with there is something a bit different on the engine that is a mystery. I know flex is running something like a 88 main and has had great success with his 72cc bbk.

..wow..my stock 50cc, derestricted jet was an 85...with the stock airbox...
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()