Author Topic: Where can I get side cases?  (Read 11610 times)

rick71

• View Profile
Where can I get side cases?
« on: December 19, 2009, 09:49:08 PM »
I am considering getting an xciting 500 and am looking for side cases. Does anyone know of a vendor and approx. cost?
Rick

ts1

• View Profile
Re: Where can I get side cases?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 11:40:43 AM »

rick71

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 12:51:05 PM »
Kymco knows:
http://www.kymco.de/fileadmin/user_upload/PDF/zubehoer/KYMCO_ZUBEHOER-ZWEIRAD_0902.pdf
(perhaps Kymco USA too).

Thanks. I didn't find them at Kymco USA, and it seems they are only available in Germany. Still, if I do get the Xciting, it will probably be worth the shipping to get them.
Rick

Kymco500

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 06:46:07 PM »
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 07:02:46 AM by Kymco500 »

bongoman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 06:56:57 PM »
Hi, I use a combination of a top case - a large 46l SHAD - and saddlebags instead of permanent side cases. The saddlebags look good, go off and on quickly, and can be packed as suitcases. I also have a nice sized barrel bag that rides pillion when she's really loaded.

The saddlebags look cool as well.
2009 Xciting 500
2015 Lance Cali Classic 150
Adventure is a two-wheeled journey

rick71

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 08:43:24 PM »
http://www.scootertrap.com/Xciting500.htm

Thanks. I've seen those pages. I was looking for hard side cases. Still, depending on prices and looks, I may go with soft cases/bags.
Rick

rick71

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 08:46:04 PM »
Hi, I use a combination of a top case - a large 46l SHAD - and saddlebags instead of permanent side cases. The saddlebags look good, go off and on quickly, and can be packed as suitcases. I also have a nice sized barrel bag that rides pillion when she's really loaded.

The saddlebags look cool as well.

Thanks

Can you post pics showing your bags and case installed? I have noticed that in most pictures of xciting 500s with a top case they require a strange looking bracket.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 09:13:17 PM by rick71 »
Rick

bongoman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 01:44:45 AM »
This link will take you to Picassa where there are pics posted of my scoot and cut down customized seat.
http://picasaweb.google.com/bongo420/PuffSNewSeat#
2009 Xciting 500

rick71

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2010, 04:21:56 AM »
This link will take you to Picassa where there are pics posted of my scoot and cut down customized seat.
http://picasaweb.google.com/bongo420/PuffSNewSeat#

Very nice bike. The seat colors and trim make a very distinctive look.

What did you have done to the seat, and where did you get the bags? And is that the stock adjustable driver backrest?

Sorry for all the questions. This scoot is going to have to last a while so I want to be sure to be able to get it to fit my needs.
Rick

bongoman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 05:02:48 PM »
No worries about the queries. I'll try to answer them in order.

The seat was completely rebuilt by a guy in San Antonio Texas who specializes in scooter and motorcycle seats. He uses a foam imported from Germany that does not seem as hot as memory foam and is definitely more comfortable. I removed the stock seat after he made measurements according to my specs; I wanted it cut lower and narrower and softer. I chose the colors from his swatches, and added the trim. More custom touches on the way as I love my X500 - except for the name, Xciting.

The saddlebags I found online after a week of searching through various online and instore selections. I think I found them on ebay. I don't usually shop there as too much ebay stuff is cheap and doesn't last.

The backrest is made by a guy here in Austin - Jac Vinsen, I believe that's his name. The stock backrest comes out, remove a couple of screws and it is off the stock bracket and mounted on the taller backrest. Takes about 5 minutes to swap them.

I don't usually ride with the tall backrest, only on long trips, longer than a day or two. I prefer the way the scoot handles with stock, seems more nimble. About 2/3 of my riding is around Austin or perhaps 100 miles out for a day trip. These roads in Central Texas are windy and hilly and tons of fun on two wheels. We do have freeways, I prefer the back roads for scenery and fun.

And yes, the tall, custom backrest is also adjustable as it mounts the same way.
2009 Xciting 500

rick71

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2010, 06:52:09 PM »
I have emailed Kymco Germany asking them about their side case mounting hardware for the Xciting 500. Hopefully it will properly attach to a US sold x500.  If it does, I can get the GIVI E21 cases. WooHoo :-)

I also bought the passenger backrest shown on the KymcoUSA site. For some reason, it didn't come with he universal top case mounting plate shown in the picture. My dealer, Super Scooterstore of America, are checking out why. BTW, the didn't charge for installing the backrest because it was the first they installed at that shop, and it was worth it to them to learn. Ya gotta love those guys. They are all over Florida, and in Georgia.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 10:14:40 PM by rick71 »
Rick

rick71

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2010, 07:58:01 AM »
I got an email reply from info@kymco.de:

At first thanks for your enquiry.
We, the company MSA Motor Sport Accessoires Ltd., are the importer for the brand KYMCO in Germany and Czech Republic.
US has an own importer. Please contact the importer in the US.
The website called: http://www.kymcousa.com/
Thanks in advance!

Yours sincerely, ...

I wonder where they are getting that side case mount from? Germany is the only place I've seen it. The picture on the fehling site doesn't show the entire luggage rack, so you cant see if the side mount is included.
Rick

rick71

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2010, 09:03:32 PM »
I have ordered the Givi 450 Simply II top case, matt black, and the Givi mounting hardware. Kymco is refunding the price of the Kymco back rest because the picture on the web site should the top case mounting plate, which they don't sell.

I am still trying to find some place that sells mounting hardware for hard side cases, besides Kymco Germany.
Rick

mcg305

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2011, 04:23:54 PM »
Bump.
Any update on this?
I'm looking too.
2010 Xciting 500Ri ABS
2006 People 250 (sold)

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2011, 05:15:40 PM »
Thanks. I've seen those pages. I was looking for hard side cases. Still, depending on prices and looks, I may go with soft cases/bags.

The Bilt saddlebags go on sale every other month for $50 and work nicely.  They fit under the seat when not in use, and carry a couple of bags of groceries each.  The plus to using soft bags for grocery trips is that you can pack them inside, then walk out and set them onto the seat and go.  

My 4 year old is also using them as footrests until I can figure out something better for her.

DaveRinPA made his own mounts:

I saw a 500i with E21's on it and the owner said he made them from the Givi PL rack - but I didn't know to ask which PL rack...  I liked the looks of the E21's because they were not as wide - and didn't waste any space on handles.  They were also mounted a lot further forward.  I considered getting a spare rear body panel and cutting it out to fit the E21's into it and get them even closer - but haven't looked at the space available yet...
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 07:24:43 PM by JustWantToRide »
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()