Author Topic: Malossi BBK for People 50 2T  (Read 46575 times)

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
Re: Malossi BBK for People 50 2T
« Reply #75 on: February 16, 2016, 03:36:29 PM »
pace, thanks for reply.  I was out of town for awhile, but back now.  Still running great, pushing it a little harder, running it to approx 40 to 45mph with very little throttle.  Have approx 150 miles on it now.

I have TrailTech tach and cylinder head temp gauges I got from Treatland, need to install.  After I get gauges installed, I will probably install Tecnigas pipe, going to be loud!  Still waiting to get carb like yours, have a few projects to get to before I get carb.  Cheers
1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

paceneedsstides

• Cuz I can't drive...55!!...No I mean that I try...
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 17, 2016, 01:56:57 AM »
well I cleaned ports on my BBK lastnight nicked the way in a couple spots but tries said should be fine if not to deep bathed it 4 times in oil so hopefully is good to go my tach will be in tomorrow and my CHT gauge will be in monday or so. I also went ahead per your post and got a few washers what size did you use? and did you get new exhaust studs or reuse old?
2013 Kymco/Malossi Like 70 2T
Technigas Next R Chrome exhaust
Malossi Dellorto 19mm Carb
94 main jet
Malossi Multivar
Dr Pulley 6gr Sliders
Malossi Blue Rear Pulley Spring
Malossi Torsion controller
Stage 6 Sport Pro Clutch
Stage 6 upgear kit
Malossi PHBG Open Racing Filter Chrome Covered

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 17, 2016, 04:51:53 AM »
Don't worry about nicks, probably can sand a little, same thing drove me nuts too.  I don't sand mine, just cleaned it up really well and put it together.

The bolts are 7mm on my AC engine, yours are probably the same.  I just got a package of 7mm washers at the local Home Depot.  I think had 8 washers, I used 4.  1st kit I reused the exhaust stubs, but a hassle to take-out and install.  2nd kit I used new studs, I recommend using new studs.

Rode my People long time today.  Only funky thing, it makes a little rattle sound at around 60km when engine not under load.  I think maybe ring slapping in ring land, because the rings are not under enough compression or decompression.  I think probably nothing to worry about, I just try to keep it out of that zone where it makes the noise.  The rest of the time, engine sounds and runs very healthy, I love it.

I am thinking about adjusting the CVT already.  This thing makes so much more torque than before, gearing seems too low.  I am thinking I could ride faster at same rev's or less if CVT shifted to higher gear ratio sooner.  CVT is 100% OEM now, thinking of installing some 9g rollers to see if that helps any.  9g rollers are heaviest I have, so will probably install Tecnigas pipe before ordering heavier rollers or sliders.  With the Tecnighas pipe, torque should drop off, CVT may behave better for break-in, I don't know.

500 miles is a long way, if you have to go slow.  I have gone a little over 200 miles now.  I checked the Kymco owner's manual for 49cc 2T scooters and they recommend 1000km's at not over 40kmh.  40kmh is approx 25mph lol, that would take forever.  Cheers
1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

paceneedsstides

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 17, 2016, 05:25:07 AM »
lol Tries and me talk alot since we are CO-founders of Making Slow Look Fast Carolina Scooter CLub (look us up on Facebook) sory for shameless plug and he says worry more about rpms not speed and also after 200-300 you're golden. Also do heat cycles. I myself with my Like 50 when I first got it had to drive it like I stole it to survive. I had it WOT from day one 10 miles till home then tried to break it in a lil then derestricted it and right back to WOT almost all the time till started mods lol.
94 main jet
Malossi Multivar
Dr Pulley 6gr Sliders
Stage 6 Sport Pro Clutch
Stage 6 upgear kit

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 18, 2016, 01:28:31 AM »
Yes, good information.  I think heat cycles critical.

I am used to breaking in engines by running them hard out of the box, generally rings will not seat properly without load on the engine.  I think very few do recommended break-in, yet the used ones I bought all looked/ ran good, so I guess not really that critical.

BBK is different beast.  Stock engines don't make much HP, can take some abuse.  Modified engines are more fragile.   Malossi specs on our kit #319987, has 72cc's and compression ratio 12.5 to 1, that's a lot of compression.  OEM engine is approx 10 to 1.  I wonder how it's calculated?, like 4 cycle I guess, if so 72/ 12.5 = 5.8cc combustion chamber volume. 

Next time I have it all apart I might measure a few more items:  squish, combustion chamber volume, check how the sparkplug looks in the hole, compare port heights to OEM engine.  Malossi recommended sparkplug Denso W24 FS-ZU is obsolete plug.  I think OK to use same plug NGK BR8HSA, BR8HS and BR9HS if running too hot (BR9HSA not available, best I can tell).

Should be able to ride mine some next couple of days.  Cheers

paceneedsstides

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 18, 2016, 03:59:51 AM »
cool nice info yeah I will take it easy for a bit on mine problem is I live in a hilly area and Tries said not to do hills lol. hey where i you get your exhaust studs and what size are they I may get some or switch to bolts.
94 main jet
Malossi Multivar
Dr Pulley 6gr Sliders
Stage 6 Sport Pro Clutch
Stage 6 upgear kit

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 18, 2016, 05:33:12 PM »
I used Kymco OEM studs, if I had an extra set would send to you.  Maybe you can get at local dealer?  Yes, breaking-in these scooters is a hassle.  Cheers

paceneedsstides

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 18, 2016, 11:53:02 PM »
yeah I can add them to my order from Kymcopartsmonster they keep messing up my order for front fender and side skirts from guy backing into me I'll just add them to the order
94 main jet
Malossi Multivar
Dr Pulley 6gr Sliders
Stage 6 Sport Pro Clutch
Stage 6 upgear kit

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 19, 2016, 06:28:30 AM »
Installed Trail Tech tach and cylinder head temp (CHT) gauges.  Took all day, had to take most of the body work off a couple of times moving the wires around.  Saw where throttle cable splitter was located, so that will be good info later when I install Malossi carb kit.

For CHT used 24" cable extension, was long enough, but just barely.  I would recommend the next size longer, 48"?  For CHT remove the sparkplug washer, put the sparkplug all the way through the 14mm fitting and look for area on the head for the fitting to have room the set flat.  Was a hassle to get it in 1st time or 2, because the sparkplug will jam on the fitting and resist screwing into the sparkplug hole.

Took out for a neighborhood spin and was surprised how hot engines gets, got over 300f degrees just doing some easy riding around.  1st time looked at my plug, NGK BR8SHA, looked perfect, dark tan/ light brown color.  Maybe get to ride it some tomorrow.  Cheers

paceneedsstides

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 19, 2016, 06:40:54 AM »
I got got the TT CHT in today ordered the 48" extension due in monday got my tach in Wed if you're running that hot at NOT wot may be your oil pump isn't keeping up with needs of BBK did you add some to gas? and did you upjet?
94 main jet
Malossi Multivar
Dr Pulley 6gr Sliders
Stage 6 Sport Pro Clutch
Stage 6 upgear kit

paceneedsstides

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 19, 2016, 06:44:42 AM »
94 main jet
Malossi Multivar
Dr Pulley 6gr Sliders
Stage 6 Sport Pro Clutch
Stage 6 upgear kit

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 19, 2016, 03:07:11 PM »
I add 1oz premix per gallon at the gas pump.  Plug looks perfect.  I am not too concerned about temp, was running fine without temp gauge, temp gauge just shows what it's doing.

I never had reed valve 2 cycle engine that wasn't liquid cooled.  Had/ have several 100cc piston port 2 cycle engines that make a lot less HP per cc than one like our BBK Kimco's.  I will research, but I recall seeing some CHT readings posted that seemed high to me at the time, in the 400f range, I guess that's normal?

What tach did you get?, looks good, not what I have, mine looks just like temp gauge.  Cheers

paceneedsstides

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 19, 2016, 04:53:41 PM »
its a generic tach that sells under multiple names mins old under OZ-USA on amazon 24.99 it's backlit and has a replaceable battery. It's supposed to be waterproof but hear it's better to silicone is to be sure. And I've heard anywhere under 375F at long WOT runs is ok but over that is dangerous.
94 main jet
Malossi Multivar
Dr Pulley 6gr Sliders
Stage 6 Sport Pro Clutch
Stage 6 upgear kit

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 20, 2016, 02:20:18 AM »
Rode today some, like new TrailTech tach and CHT.  Only thing, I mounted it with sticky pad, then read the instructions about setup mode, button is on bottom of gauge, so can't change setup without messing up sticky pads lols.  Appears to be working OK, probably didn't need to change setup, so no problems.  Will probably eventually mount mine with screws through the plastic bodywork, but hesitated to do that for 1st mounting (holes in plastic bodywork).

I was focused on the CHT watching temps change.  It really gets hot if I am super easy with it, I guess carb is very lean at minimal throttle, high temp was 405f.  However, give it a little more gas and temp comes down runs between 300 to 380f maybe.  At idle, temp drops to approx 300 or less.  I think all is well, but glad I have CHT.  I didn't realize how lean it was running by being too easy on it.

Tach I didn't focus on that much, but probably max revs was something over 8000 for just a moment.  Mostly was at 6000 to 7000 revs.  Reading the instructions, I understand when shut-off tach will show max revs for just a second or 2 and then resets?

I can really see why recommended long break-in, this puppy likes to run really hot.  I think mine is doing well, feels great, will just keep on keeping on, have approx 250 miles now, just 250 to go.  Not too bad now, since I can run up to approx 40mph, then coast some, then gas it again, runs nice and cool that way.  What makes it hot is steady speed with very little throttle, don't do that for sure.

pace, hope you can get another scooter before you do your BBK, break-in will drive you nuts.  Cheers

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 21, 2016, 04:55:29 PM »
Just thought I would mention, scooter now starts easy.  This is 1st time for all my scooters the auto petcock and electric choke appear to be working properly.  I guess the BBK pulls more vacuum so auto petcock opens sooner, not sure why eclectric choke is working?  When the engine 1st starts on 1 or 2 easy kicks, it goes to a fast idle approx 4000 revs plus and stays there just awhile, then drops down to approx 1800 revs until I ride it.  Then after engine is hot, it idles approx 2000 revs, perfect.  Cheers

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()