Author Topic: CAUTION: To all riders with disc brakes  (Read 1252 times)

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
CAUTION: To all riders with disc brakes
« on: December 24, 2009, 08:55:20 PM »
Check the torque on your caliper bolts frequently (and a dab of blue Loctite is probably not a bad idea, either).

I hope I can still use the rotor and caliper...

Shaka

• View Profile
Re: CAUTION: To all riders with disc brakes
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 10:13:06 PM »
Uh oh!  What happened?  Blue loctite is definitely a good thing on disc brakes!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 10:27:09 PM »
WOW OW WOW, You did indeed catch a "break" of sorts having it lock up at a snails pace! The only possible internal damage would be to the "o" ring on the piston itself. The caliper is so small it cannot retain heat for an extended period so I very much doubt the "o" ring got hurt. You can find out by blowing compressed air into the bleeder. That will force the piston out of the caliper so it can be inspected. BE CAREFULL use a regulator as the piston can come out with a lot of force. (kinda like a potato gun) 2-3 psi will do it. I also seriously doubt the small amount of drag had anything to do with fuel economy. If the drag was that high you would have smelled something burning each time you parked, or felt the lurching each time you were slowing down. Blue Lok-tite is the ticket here. In fact New mounting bolts has it pre applied. The key is the heat generated each time you apply the brake. Without a thread lok compound these bolts will always expand/ contract until they work loose. If Santa has anything helpfull, I will put it aside for you. I've been RED SUIT training the dogs for 2 weeks now. Sorry to here repair troubles today, but a good movie, a few laughs, hopefully a very MERRY X-MAS, and last but not least MASS IRIDIUM to you , and yours!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

BVBob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 11:27:39 PM »
Another way of keeping an eye on these bolts and others is to put a line of paint from a paint pen across the bolt or allen bolt so that you can easily do a visual inspection each time you ride to make sure a bolt isn't loosening. My Piaggio came from the factory with yellow lines across all the important visiable bolts. After I do any maintenance or repairs I re-mark the bolts. i bought the paint pen at a craft store for 2 bucks. Handy.

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 11:36:48 PM »
Another way of keeping an eye on these bolts and others is to put a line of paint from a paint pen across the bolt or allen bolt so that you can easily do a visual inspection each time you ride to make sure a bolt isn't loosening. My Piaggio came from the factory with yellow lines across all the important visiable bolts. After I do any maintenance or repairs I re-mark the bolts. i bought the paint pen at a craft store for 2 bucks. Handy.
That's an excellent idea, and I will do that for certain. Thanks for the tip!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()