Author Topic: Agility 50 starting problems  (Read 1485 times)

keith.brett1021

• View Profile
Agility 50 starting problems
« on: November 02, 2015, 10:49:18 PM »
I just got a new 2012 agility scooter and the guy said the starter relay was bad and it hadn't run in awhile. I swapped the relay switch and put fuel treatment in the gas and replaced the battery. It wouldn't not start but it was trying to. I took the air box off and sprayed starter spray in it and i can get it to start with the tire off the ground and give it gas and the back tire will spin hard for 1 second then it dies also if i try to let it idle it will die after a few seconds. I also cleaned out the fuel filter.

I am very new to mopeds and these engines. I have read about valve clearance adjustment but don't even know where to start on that. Hoping i don't have to do that or take it in to the shop.

It only has 1200 miles so it shouldn't have anything too serious wrong with it.

Any ideas or suggestions are much appreciated!!

Thanks so much!!

tortoise

• View Profile

blue

• View Profile
Re: Agility 50 starting problems
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 11:42:11 PM »
youtube will be your best friend.

keith.brett1021

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 04:08:29 AM »
Thanks for the videos. But I striped one of the screws on the electric choke. Also when I went to take the choke apart it seems that the screws on there have some sort of glue or adhesive on them because no matter what I try or do it seems like they will strip before breaking loose.

Guessing I will just have to get a new carb? :/

keith.brett1021

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 04:48:22 AM »
With carb spray I can get it to turn over with the throttle pinned and it will start rev up and spin the back tire pretty fast but dies after 1 second of power. Does this sound more like carb problem or valve clearance?

Thanks for the help!

JayAre

• Jay Are
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 01:00:16 AM »
First off buy a quality #1 phillips screwdriver. Some of the better ones have serrated tips to help hold the screw. Second before you try turning the screw put the screwdriver into the screw & hit the end of it with a hammer driving it into the screw. This will help set it into the screw tightly & the shock/harmonics will help to break the screw lose. As for the stripped screws try a small visegrip & the screwdriver to turn it. Again hitting it to shock the srcrew!
I'd say your on the right track looking at the carb it's probably gummed up especially if it's had ethanol fuel standing in it for some time. Clean the carb pay attention to the holes in the cross section/the upper tube of the pilot jet/the smaller of the jets. The ethanol turns to sugar & will plug things up. Use the smooth part of a tip cleaner, small wire, or pick. to poke through the holes to clear all of them. You don't want to use the serrated part of a tip cleaner, or a drill bit, as this will open the size of the hole & change the jetting. If you can drain the old gas & put some fresh ethanol free premium in it & use only ethanol free gas if possible. Good luck
My wife never asked, " can you make it go faster?" until we bought a 4 stroke Moped. My reply, "yes dear"
2013 Agility 50 de-restricted with 72cc piston & head.
2-2005 Yamaha Zuma's 50cc 2 stroke bone stock

keith.brett1021

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 02:20:25 AM »
Bought a new carb and its running great! Thanks guys

JayAre

• Jay Are
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2015, 09:30:52 PM »
Dang I got a stock carb off my 2013 that I Big Bored at a 130 miles. I would've sold the carb, with some extra jets for $20. Oh well glad it's running well for you.
My wife never asked, " can you make it go faster?" until we bought a 4 stroke Moped. My reply, "yes dear"
2013 Agility 50 de-restricted with 72cc piston & head.
2-2005 Yamaha Zuma's 50cc 2 stroke bone stock

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()