Author Topic: Where in the World are you?  (Read 5955 times)

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
Re: Where in the World are you?
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2010, 02:36:31 PM »
I still want to see the bloke with the mullet hairstyle holding the catfish!!!!!

..nope...wasn't a mullet..lol..big hair like the '80 rockers!!

..hey, it was 1984... ;D

..think I even owned some spandex back then...lol..
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 02:38:02 PM by wordslinger »
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

Freedom

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2010, 09:24:35 PM »
I'm in Portland Ore. Lots of scooters here. Happy safe riding to all this comming year. 'Freedom'

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2010, 09:38:35 PM »
You guys are SO lucky (at least in the motoring compartment).

I see that new Nissan 370Z, a card I'd die for, is 29.950 US$ in US of A.

Where I live, almost a third-world country, the same Nissan starts from 80.000 US$!!! I have to buy 1.7 Nissan to the state in taxes on top of "my" Nissan!!!!

Two months ago I bought Kia Pro'ceed 1.4/109 hp, I wonder if you know at all what it looks like... it is BARELY a car.... and it set me back 20.000 US$!!!!

10 grand more and it would be 370Z!!!!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!!!! ??? :o >:( :-\ :-X
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

Neko

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2010, 10:10:32 PM »
Portsmouth, England.  ::)
Super 8 2T

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2010, 10:52:36 PM »
You guys are SO lucky (at least in the motoring compartment).

I see that new Nissan 370Z, a card I'd die for, is 29.950 US$ in US of A.

Where I live, almost a third-world country, the same Nissan starts from 80.000 US$!!! I have to buy 1.7 Nissan to the state in taxes on top of "my" Nissan!!!!

Two months ago I bought Kia Pro'ceed 1.4/109 hp, I wonder if you know at all what it looks like... it is BARELY a car.... and it set me back 20.000 US$!!!!

10 grand more and it would be 370Z!!!!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!!!! ??? :o >:( :-\ :-X
But how many people there lose everything they own due to illness?

Everything's a trade-off.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2010, 11:51:44 PM »
But how many people there lose everything they own due to illness?

Everything's a trade-off.

10 years ago in my country you could not get a significant amount of money on a credit. Of course, there were credit cards but with very strict rules how to get them. There were loans, credits and mortages, but you had to give a fat collateral in order to get a loan from the bank to buy a car or a house. The leverage was 1:6 - Central bank required commercial banks to have 1 unit of real money in the treasury to give 6 units of loan.

Then, liquidity of the world financial markets started spilling over to my country too and there was the whole conundrum: easy money, stock market speculations, investment funds, forex scams, easy loans...

Two years ago the bubble had burst and now the situation here is pretty much the same as in the USA, with the difference that our currency has the same purchasing parity towards EUR and US$ as it had in 1993, in fact, US$ is worth twice less in the local currency compared to pre-EUR times before year 2000.

A lot of people are losing houses, appartments and cars here too... also jobs... companies are closing down... it is good that we did not have derivatives here, there was non-selective loan granting but not that much as in the USA.

So, you are not completely right because we are pretty much in the same mess - but the average gross salary here is around 1500 US$/month, net salary is 49 % of the gross salary, we have 23 % VAT tax on all goods and services and still, my Nissan 370 costs 2.7 x more than in the USA!

I bet it is hard for people from the USA even to comprehend that this situation is even possible. 10 kms from the place where I live, there is a small sea side town where 1 m2 of appartment costs around 10.000 US$. This means that 30 m2 one room appartment costs close to 300.000 US$. I wonder if you have ever seen 1st hand one room European style appartment with 30 m2 area. :) I think that in the USA the dogs are kept in bigger cages. :)

Oh, well...
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

winginman

• View Profile
    • Accugen DNA Service
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2010, 01:36:02 AM »
Axy, If did not know better, with those prices I would think you lived in New York City...   ;D
That Pro Ceed doesn't look like a bad set of wheels.  The folks in Korea are coming up in the world.  I drive an 01 Hyundai Santa Fe and still love it.  As gas prices keep rising, something in 1.4 liter that's fun to drive and gets good mileage would be nice.  I know around here they are selling the heck out of the Kia Rio. I once owned a 1.2 liter Datsun 110 that was fun to drive and got better than 50 MPG, wish I had it back.
It is good to get this kind of insight from around the world. 
Jim
09 Kymco 500Ri (His)
04 Aprilia S500 (Hers)
01 Honda GL1800 (Ours)
DNA Paternity Testing www.accugendna.com

pahillbillybear

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2010, 02:00:41 AM »
St. Albans, West Virginia.  Decent town.  I don't really claim it though.  I'm from Milton, West Virginia.  A nice town as well, and I would have no problem claiming it but school consolidation tends to break down towns to where they really have no identity.  We combined with our cheif rival and thats that.  I am close to Huntington, West Virginia.  That's my town.  Home of the Marshall University Thundering Herd.  Not many scooters around here.  Really pathetic.  We have roads that are ideal for riding in town, city, country, mountains, etc.  But very few own one.  Axy, in the latest issue of Road Runner magazine their is a great article on Croatia if your interested.  Maybe RR would send you a free copy or I could mail you one.  In case you didn't know RR is a really nice touring magazine for the US.  I was reading the article the other day and told my wife I'd love to visit that part of the world.  Take about a 6-8 month tour. 

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2010, 08:33:05 AM »
I grew up across the river a bit from Huntington -- Ashland, KY.

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2010, 08:39:07 AM »
My family is a Central Africa/North Europe/South Asia mix. Currently living in Palatinate (Germany).

topaz6turbo

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2010, 09:06:46 AM »
How cool is this. Everyone in all parts of the world with 1 similar like, the mighty scoot! I must admit, I have been debating selling my 125 and upgrading to either the 250 or the 500......Its a hard decision.
Holty

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2010, 11:45:24 AM »
St. Albans, West Virginia.  Decent town.  I don't really claim it though.  I'm from Milton, West Virginia.  A nice town as well, and I would have no problem claiming it but school consolidation tends to break down towns to where they really have no identity.  We combined with our cheif rival and thats that.  I am close to Huntington, West Virginia.  That's my town.  Home of the Marshall University Thundering Herd.  Not many scooters around here.  Really pathetic.  We have roads that are ideal for riding in town, city, country, mountains, etc.  But very few own one.  Axy, in the latest issue of Road Runner magazine their is a great article on Croatia if your interested.  Maybe RR would send you a free copy or I could mail you one.  In case you didn't know RR is a really nice touring magazine for the US.  I was reading the article the other day and told my wife I'd love to visit that part of the world.  Take about a 6-8 month tour. 

Well, if you ever make up your mind and need some ideas and guidelines, drop me a pvt note, I'll be glad to help (or maybe even meet you in person when you come here!).
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

winginman

• View Profile
    • Accugen DNA Service
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2010, 12:09:21 AM »
turbo, check out the new Downtown 300, right in between.  Looks like a really cool scoot.

And you are correct, it really is great that we have people from all over the world with the same passion. 
Jim
09 Kymco 500Ri (His)
04 Aprilia S500 (Hers)
01 Honda GL1800 (Ours)
DNA Paternity Testing www.accugendna.com

pahillbillybear

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2010, 04:06:26 AM »
     JPrestonian, We were over your way today.  Drove over to Ashland to take care of some private business.  Then drove to Cave Run Lake.  All the while in the snow.  Not trecherous weather by any stretch.  We ran 50-55 back toward Charleston.  It was dark, cold and snowing on and off.  Had to have been ice on the bridges.  People flying by me at 70-80 at times.  Unreal.  I felt like an old man.  We are going to take some sailing lessons this spring at Cave Run and buy a $500 sailboat and go sailing.  Not an Optimist or any other make of small racing boat.  Just something to cruise around the lake on with a couple of rods sticking out from the side waiting for a bite.  And if nothing bites, we'll we had a good day.  The lake is about 115 miles from my house.  The neat part is we can take Route 60 the whole way.  Hey, a nice 50 mph road makes a scooter road, pretty country, pretty lake to sail on, pretty campgrounds, and then a pretty ride back home.  Have to check on dry dockage and to see if the can launch the boat as well as fees.  Boat will only be maybe 15 feet and 500 lbs.  What more could a guy want? 
     Axy, I have actually looked into taking a freightor to get to Europe.  I'd have to get with the right company and get a good price to haul my wife and I with two scooters, then I may take you up on that.  I think in many ways, a ride through many parts of Europe would eclipse anything found in the US.  Not so much the beauty but the people.  I saw a really funny picture in a bicycling magazine called Adventure Cyclist.  This guy was riding through Czech Republic.  He happened upon two older woman pedaling on their bicycles.  They were gathering firewood.  He, on the other hand was touring.  The look on their faces was priceless.  They were laughing at him.  I could almost read what they were saying.  This man has the intelligence of a donkeys ass.  What a silly american.   Their bikes are for utilitarian use.  The american was riding for pleasure.  This would not happen in the US unless the guy was getting mowed down by an RV or someone driving too fast.   

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2010, 10:05:06 AM »
I'd have to get with the right company and get a good price to haul my wife and I with two scooters...
Might be cheaper to rent a scooter.
"Motorent" examples: Suzuki Burgman 400 or Kymco Xciting 500iR (both with ABS) 279 Euro/week. Free 1500km and insurance.
Kymco Myroad 700i or Gilera GP 800 for 329 Euro instead of 279.
Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive 399 Euro.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 10:07:36 AM by ts1 »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()