Author Topic: Should I buy it?  (Read 3103 times)

Triesandluth

• Getting it, a mile per hour at a time
    • View Profile
Should I buy it?
« on: November 07, 2015, 04:04:33 PM »
Looked at a 2012 agility this morning.  There is little cosmetic damage (needs done signal repair), good almost new tires,  and receipts from a very recent piston, rings, and gasket change.  Also a ridiculous labor charge lol.  The odometer reads 24000km!!
The owner said, along with the receipts, that it needs new rollers,  which isn't an issue for me,  and that it ran fine about 2 weeks ago.  I went there this morning and we couldn't get it to start. Plenty of spark,  fuel was getting to the carb. Couldn't check the plug,  I only had my socket for my 2 stroke on me. There's air moving through the exhaust while turning it over,  and it seems to have decent compression by feel of the kick. 
What do y'all think?  Should I get it?  $250 seems decent,  might be able to talk her down a bit because of it not starting...

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Almost...at...speed...limit... Aww, brake lights..

tortoise

• View Profile
Re: Should I buy it?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2015, 04:46:36 PM »
Should I buy it?
Why?

Based on your other postings describing performance desecrations, seems like you would be unhappy with the speed limitations of a 50cc 4-stroke.  Unless you have North Carolina legal issues restricting you to a 50cc, why not select at least a 125cc that would be more compatible with general traffic flow?

Triesandluth

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2015, 05:04:05 PM »
Why?

Based on your other postings describing performance desecrations, seems like you would be unhappy with the speed limitations of a 50cc 4-stroke.  Unless you have North Carolina legal issues restricting you to a 50cc, why not select at least a 125cc that would be more compatible with general traffic flow?
Wow.  Very helpful.
First off,  my legal situations are my business,  none of yours.  The scooter would be primarily used by my brother,  who has a license but has anxiety issues with driving cars or anything big and fast (something I will never understand).  I'm doing him a favor to get him off of a very unsafe taotao.  I was looking for a USEFUL opinion as to whether or not it would seem like a decent deal with it's running state,  even though I'm fairly certain it is of far better quality and well worth it. 
As for my "desecrations," that's another of my things that's my business,  and I ask for help or opinions from people that are willing and able to help. 
If you feel the need to police my posts,  please do me,and possibly others a favor... Unplug your keyboard from your computer,  insert said plug far into your nether regions,  and type away. 
I do my best to not take offense by anyone over the internet,  and try to not offend anyone.  But you, sir or ma'am,  seem to do this to many forum members and it is not necessary. 
Have a good day.  [emoji4]

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2015, 06:22:02 PM »
Sounds like potential especially as a "starter" for your brother. She is asking $250 for a 2012 and it won't start. That just knocked off at least a $100 in my opinion.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Triesandluth

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2015, 09:25:27 PM »
I'm going to see how low she'll go,  especially since I will have to pay someone to pick it up.  I'm trying to avoid another "project" that turns into a driveway ornament.  I have a nice tgb r50x that's already got that position. 

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2015, 11:58:07 PM »
I would get it. sounds like just a darn good tune up and you have a fine bike. you can get another 2400 miles out it easy.

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2015, 11:30:38 AM »
I personally would be very hesitant buying this scooter. It is a real gamble. Could be a great deal, could also be a never ending parade of parts and time on your behalf to get and keep it running. That being said, I applaud you on wanting to help your brother out and hope all goes well for you!
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

Triesandluth

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2015, 03:17:12 PM »
I would get it. sounds like just a darn good tune up and you have a fine bike. you can get another 2400 miles out it easy.
Add another zero.  It's got 24000km.  2400 would be a quick buy,  but 24000km is quite a bit for a little stock engine. 

Triesandluth

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2015, 03:21:37 PM »
I personally would be very hesitant buying this scooter. It is a real gamble. Could be a great deal, could also be a never ending parade of parts and time on your behalf to get and keep it running. That being said, I applaud you on wanting to help your brother out and hope all goes well for you!
The more I think on it, the more hesitant I get.  The high mileage is what is getting me scared.  The engine is completely stock,  so it shouldn't have been beaten too bad,  but the rest of it...  My Super Nine is nearing 28000 kms.  The fork seals are starting to leak,  the gears in the rear end are getting sloppy,  and a few other bits that just get old are getting old.  Then again,  I run the hair off the s9...
Ultimately it will be a toss between how low she'll go and how risky I'm feeling.  My impulse buy feeling is gone,  logic took over...

beermak

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2015, 03:23:33 PM »
Id try to get a people 150. The 16 inch makes a huge difference if rider aint very experienced and the ride is so much smoother.
24000km on a 50cc its probably close to its end imo if not perfectlly well maintained.

Enviado desde mi SM-G920I mediante Tapatalk

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2015, 01:46:14 AM »
Mine had 54000.km on mine befor my motor went. But it was still running great it only broke due to a big pot hole I hit.

Triesandluth

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2015, 11:48:25 PM »
Well,  I'm pretty sure I'm cancelling the buy.  My brother's new job got cancelled.  Unless my body can make it through a  night of extra overtime. Can't let it dip into my Christmas overtime.

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2015, 10:06:56 AM »
Cancelling the buy is probably a good thing. You would most likely be putting overtime in on that scooter to get it running correctly. I am always suspicious of vehicles that have a lot of work on them, and then the seller can not or will not get them running to sale.  I hope everything works out with your brother, and you have a Merry Christmas! I deliver packages for a large overnight delivery service, so I understand the overtime thing. The body/mind can only do so much at my age.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

Triesandluth

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2015, 01:17:26 PM »
Cancelling the buy is probably a good thing. You would most likely be putting overtime in on that scooter to get it running correctly. I am always suspicious of vehicles that have a lot of work on them, and then the seller can not or will not get them running to sale.  I hope everything works out with your brother, and you have a Merry Christmas! I deliver packages for a large overnight delivery service, so I understand the overtime thing. The body/mind can only do so much at my age.
Thanks !! I appreciated it,  and to you as well.  Don't let em work ya too hard. 
I do believe I'm taking my overtime money and putting some towards a lemon I bought last year. Tgb r50x.  I'm in the process of getting a stator ordered for it.  Hopefully that will be the fix to the weak spark...

Triesandluth

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2015, 10:33:23 PM »
Eh,  she dropped the price to 160, so I bought it....  I'll probably be scouring the forums to get it right....

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()