Author Topic: MXU 500 Spark Plug Location ?  (Read 5632 times)

BJ

• View Profile
MXU 500 Spark Plug Location ?
« on: December 30, 2015, 07:56:14 PM »
Hi guys I just bought a MXU 500 2 weeks and thinking I should change the spark plug but I can't seem to find it. Wondering what side of the machine I should be looking for it?
                                                                           Thanks
                                                                               BJ

aaron8

• View Profile
Re: MXU 500 Spark Plug Location ?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 01:23:06 AM »
You have to remove the fuel tank on this model.

BJ

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 05:12:54 PM »
You have to remove the fuel tank on this model.
             Thanks for the reply Aaron8. Hope the spark plug is the problem with it not starting.
                                                                      Happy New Year
                                                                                   BJ

aaron8

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2016, 10:28:21 PM »
If the fuel pump is kicking on and has gas in the tank it will probably be your spark plug.

Short trips with the machine can cause this problem, although the 500cc is their best starting engine.

Tank Removal

-remove seat
-remove both side panels
-remove the small cover under the speedometer
-remove plastic around the tank

Take your time and keep track of all the parts. The front two tank bolts are the hardest to remove and install. Also, the clip for the fuel line can be tricky if you have never messed with one. (Do not break this piece!) Push (hands and fingers only) the white 90* piece in and then press down on the black retaining clip. Keep pressure on the black clip and pull the connector off. Wear glasses so you do not get gas in your eyes (there may still be some pressure in the line). 

Bratman2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 03:19:04 PM »
I replaced the sparkplug earlier this year tuning up my grandson's Mongoose 90. It progressively began running like crap. Hard to start, missing, low on power. Getting older I guess, I thought well I just replaced the sparkplug recently with the proper NGK. So I looked every where testing everything I could. Only to replace the NGK nearly last and fixing it. That is the first bad NGK sparkplug I have ever purchased that was bad so it could be. Good luck! I might start buying Nippon Denso if this ever happens again.
2019 UXV 700i LE Hunter
2014 MXU 450i
2004 Mongoose 90 (grandson's)
2010 Grizzly 450

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()