Author Topic: Malossi Torque Driver 618317 install  (Read 9845 times)

Triesandluth

• Getting it, a mile per hour at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Malossi Torque Driver 618317 install
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2016, 03:59:47 PM »
Yeah,  chaz35,  I get what you've done.  I just didn't understand exactly what you needed the spring coil for. 
I found malossi torque drivers for piaggio,  which is what some of our other parts fit,  on scootertuning.ca for less than 100cad on clearance.  That comes down even less with the conversion,  but back up with 20 cad shipping.  Still cheaper.  I'm thinking about checking out the ncy torque driver.  I'll let you know if I choose to.  I'm getting a clutch bell first.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Almost...at...speed...limit... Aww, brake lights..

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2016, 05:41:52 PM »
Hello tries, thanks for reply.  The spring is a spacer to support the bottom of the collar seal and keep the bottom o-ring from being crushed too much.  Maybe not needed, I don't know.  I even put in a strip of milk carton plastic on the inside of the spring to take up the slack, cut the plastic with a paper cutting board.

I am going to run my torque driver for awhile before I get another one.  I saw the one in Canada too, saves a few.  Scooterpartsco has good prices, cheap shipping.  I was maybe going to get another there if I get the 19mm carb, but going slow on the 19mm carb for now, too many unknowns.

The NCY torque driver looks cool, definiterly different grooves, maybe better than Malossi, I don't know, and less $'s for sure.  You ever bought anything from jiangwayne.com?, I saw NCY torque driver there too, probably lowest price I saw.

Going to make some adjustments on CVT and take ride today.  Weather is nice for a couple of days, have to take advantage.  Cheers
1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2016, 04:46:55 AM »
Nice weather here today, so I changed out the Kymco oem rollers and installed 7.5g sliders to test.  Everything else is oem except for the Malossi torque driver.  I looked for any problems with torque driver, didn't see anything odd, looks good so far.  I went for a long ride, burned approx 1 gal of gas, that's approx 60 miles of fun.

The sliders didn't make much difference, ran better but probably need to go to 7g sliders for next test.  However, this scooter is really fun to ride, maybe runs better than ever.  It's amazing how the engine responds when the gearing is better, carb is working right.

Since I have been thinking about a larger carb, which means more HP and more revs, I am not babying this scooter much anymore.  I used to try and keep revs around 8000revs max, and the Malossi variator really helps in that regard.  With the Kymco oem variator I have a lower top gear, so engine is turning more revs, top speed it about the same though.  I turned close to 10000revs several times on my ride today, depending on the slope and which way the wind was blowing.

Tomorrow is supposed to be nice again.  If I get the chance, will make another change and test some more.  So far, my Malossi torque driver mod is looking good.  Cheers

1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

paceneedsstides

• Cuz I can't drive...55!!...No I mean that I try...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2016, 05:02:03 AM »
NIce sounds like things are going well.
2013 Kymco/Malossi Like 70 2T
Technigas Next R Chrome exhaust
Malossi Dellorto 19mm Carb
94 main jet
Malossi Multivar
Dr Pulley 6gr Sliders
Malossi Blue Rear Pulley Spring
Malossi Torsion controller
Stage 6 Sport Pro Clutch
Stage 6 upgear kit
Malossi PHBG Open Racing Filter Chrome Covered

Triesandluth

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2016, 07:29:45 PM »
Honestly,  I've not bought anything for my super 9 that was actual parts,  besides a set of sliders,  from eBay.  I know many that have bought from Scooter assassins on eBay,  I thought that is where the ncy torque driver was,  and they were satisfied.

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2016, 05:18:38 PM »
This 2nd attempt, don't know what I am doing, but type out long narrative, and delete it, what a pain?

So, next I installed the Malossi variator and went for long ride.  I really like the Malossi variator, it made a huge difference.  I thought maybe the oem variator would be good, but the Malossi works so much better, gives more revs at slower speeds, and higher top speed.  Revs jumped to 9000 so a little too high, but scooter ran great.

Next I installed MaLossi green torque spring to drop the revs, and it dropped them down to 8000.  Was pretty close to perfect.  Could cruise at 8000 where I like with speedo on 50mph (approx 45mph actual).  I have 8g sliders on the other scooter and plan to try them soon, just to see the effect.  8000revs probably still past peak torque/ HP so 8g stliders may be better.

Malossi torque driver a big plus IMO.  The dog leg issue has completely gone away.  It climbs hills great, goes against the wind great, it is great going up a hill into the wind.  With the straight groove torque driver revs go to 8000 and just stay there until the CVT is in it's highest gear, then revs start to climb as you continue to gain speed.  Depending on which way the wind is blowing/ elevation change revs can get close to 10000.

Don't know if it's really that helpful with BBK extra torque/ HP, but with 49cc engine it really increases performance.  This thing is fast IMO.  I can cruise on 50 to 55mph country roads (I pull to side and let faster cagers pass from time to time, but not a problem), in city traffic 40 to 45mph I am fast, a cager passing me is speeding.  At stop lights and the light goes green it revs to 8000 and just stays there, sweet.

My final set-up:  stock 49cc LC with Tecnigas Next-R pipe, pod air filter, oem Keihin 17mm carb 40 slow/ 108 main jets, CVT with Malossi variator, 7.5g Dr Pulley sliders, Malossi green torque spring, removed the Malossi yellow plastic torque controller (was concerned about coil binding with torque spring compressing too much), oem fly springs, and most important Malossi torque driver.

I ordered another one.  I plan to set-up the other Super 9 LC the same, except will try the other set of straight grooves on the torque driver, see what difference it makes.  The way this thing is running I don't feel the need for BBK, but we will see when I ever get the People 50 2T BBK running.  Cheers

paceneedsstides

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2016, 06:57:07 PM »
Thats sweet man so the mod on the Torque driver worked good? Nice man. But isn't the Tosion Conrollers job to prevent the very thing you were worried about it causing? I'ts designed to reduce friction and allow the spring to spin smoother correct?
94 main jet
Malossi Multivar
Dr Pulley 6gr Sliders
Stage 6 Sport Pro Clutch
Stage 6 upgear kit

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2016, 03:22:38 AM »
The yellow plastic torsion contoller only allows the torque spring to twist back and forth a fraction of a turn as the driven pulley moves in and out.  I can't remember if you disassembled your CVT driven side down to the torque driver, but that is where the grooves are that control the pulley movement.  The oem grooves are not straight.  The yellow plastic torsion controller has no effect on the angle of the grooves or whether they are straight like the Malossi or change angle like the oem.  I know confusing, so keep asking if I am not explaining it.  Cheers

paceneedsstides

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2016, 05:04:47 AM »
Yeah I think I got it now.
94 main jet
Malossi Multivar
Dr Pulley 6gr Sliders
Stage 6 Sport Pro Clutch
Stage 6 upgear kit

Triesandluth

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2016, 07:15:21 PM »
Hey chaz, is this what your rear pulley looks like? Near the bottom of the page, bottom picture.
This whole thread has a bit of cvt tips in it. The belt, I need the belt lol. And the pulley. I think he says it's naraku...
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=5909.0
Actually, it's on page 11

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2016, 03:46:13 PM »
Hello Tries, I need to read that thread, didn't see anything on page 11, maybe my computer has different screen size, shows more or less pages than yours.  I will read, and report back later, have a few chores to do 1st.

I have another one (Malossi 618317 torque driver), will be installing soon, will use other set of slots to test for difference the other set makes.  Cheers

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2016, 04:17:10 AM »
I read the linked thread, all 29 pages...  Lots of good info and interesting, definitely learned a few things, but CVT not like my set-up.  I have Malossi variator in front and Kymco OEM clutch and pulley on the back with Malossi torque driver.  You can't see the variator or the torque driver, so my CVT looks like Kymco OEM front to back.

I use the OEM belt after doing a lot of reading.  Notice he was blowing a few belts, generally OEM belts don't give you trouble.  Maybe with his CVT OEM belt would blow too, I don't know.  I watched his vids, very good vids IMO, redneck camera was great!!!

That's about the way my speedo and tach look, I think my S9 runs about like his.  If we were neighbors would be fun to compare rides for sure.  Best I can tell we have similar set-up (49cc, OEM carb, Tecnigas pipe, aftermarket airpod), except for CVT.

I am not in favor of aftermarket clutches for street riding.  Maybe need if want to pull wheelies?, but not what I am trying to do.  Let CVT do all the work, the clutch is so you can idle at the red light.  The CVT gear ratio when you start out is very low, almost too low IMO, so definitely don't need to be slipping the clutch a lot to get going.  My original S9 had stiffer torque and fly springs, and rev'd way too much starting out.

I installed Kymco OEM fly springs and like much better.  Probably faster on take-off cause I don't have to wait for engine to rev up before scooter starts to move forward.  Was really a pain starting out on inclines too.  I am not saying my way is better, just I like it better for how I ride.  Cheers

paceneedsstides

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2016, 04:55:27 AM »
Chaz speaking of gears I never have heard back from 245luigi but if you look at his and Paras Like50 build both of them used upgear kits Luigi used Malossi P/N6711055 and Para used Stage6 lead and scooter-attack.com has them both so I know Super9's have taller gears already but Like and maybe People not so much so the upgear kits fit. Para said he pulled 62+ GPS I think.
94 main jet
Malossi Multivar
Dr Pulley 6gr Sliders
Stage 6 Sport Pro Clutch
Stage 6 upgear kit

Triesandluth

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2016, 05:07:23 PM »
I was referring to the two pictures he had of the rear pulleys, one stock with a weld deep down at the center, the other below it without the bead weld. I have the one with the weld, Amish has the other type of stock one that didn't have the weld. It keeps the belt from going all the way into the rear pulley, imo. Like a restriction.
I'm interested in the 3mm longer and 1mm wider belt because my belt seems just barely too short and doesn't sit all the way at the top of the rear pulley. And now that I have a larger faced variator, the extra length and width will utilize more of the variator at top speed.
I'm most likely going to need the longer boss drive than the Malossi one that's 37mm, or 37.5, I don't remember atm. Otherwise the wider belt will not fit all the way down into the variator.
I'm going to start with trying the torque driver as the only change. Then I'll work my way into other set ups and see what happens.

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2016, 02:18:03 AM »
For top speed, need belt high on front variator, low on rear driven pulley.  The OEM driven pulley has the weld, but the Malossi torque driver has it machined off.  I don't think it makes a diff, the rear driven pulley doesn't appear to open enough for the belt to get that low.  I haven't tested it, but you may be onto something.  If you get wider belt maybe won't go as low on rear driven pulley?, that could hurt top speed.

The longer boss drive?, is that part of the front variator?  If so, don't think you need longer for top speed, the belt is low on take off? and closes to make larger diameter front variator for top speed.

I think the best way for top speed is up gears, but don't know if available.  I have Malossi 6711055 and 6711802 up gear kits.  Would be so easy to change out a few gears.  Best I can tell, CVT gets expensive, for example:  I think there is nice over range variator for the Zuma for around $500 lols.

So far, I know the Malossi up gear kits don't fit People 50 2T.  There may be some gears that would fit Kymco to change final drive ratio in the GY6 world.  I think our Kymco engines/ CVT is based on QMB139, whatever that is?  I saw something about that once, gears maybe available cheap, but would take a lot of research to figure out what works.

I haven't ridden my fastest S9 (with Malossi torque driver) with son-n-law's Honda PCX150 yet, but think I am getting faster.  He couldn't ride, so I took out my S9 alone in traffic and felt faster than ever before over at his location.  Honda PCX150 is my gold standard to compare to.  If you can stay with one of those, you are going fast IMO.  Cheers

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()