Author Topic: Good price???  (Read 2766 times)

flavioguy

• View Profile
Good price???
« on: January 27, 2016, 07:28:39 PM »
I have the opportunity to buy a 2013 Kymco Xciting 500 (with 600 miles).  The OTD price is $3800.  The scoot seems in perfect condition.  Do you think this would be a good buy at this price???

BTW - if you had to chose between the Xciting and a 2009 Honda DN-01 in very good condition (+ better windscreen) with 9K miles for $5K, what would you do????
Thx
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 10:02:54 PM by flavioguy »

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Good price???
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 01:49:32 AM »
Have you read all the threads on this forum about the recurring hard starting problem with this model?

Karl

Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 04:31:21 AM »
Crossbolt has nailed the main issue with the XC 500.
If you are in the northern hemisphere, then now is a good time to check/test that starting issue, since it is a big issue in cold Temps.
But, it could well be that the 2013 and newer models have been rectified by the factory regarding this issue.
It is imperative to have a top class battery and put it on a trickle charger every night.
This is my experience on XC 500 2010 model year.

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 with Tapatalk

2010 Kymco Xciting 500Ri-Dark Blue

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 04:35:17 AM »
If you do go for the XC 500, boy, are you going to enjoy the riding quality!
The sport screen will likely need an add-on adjustable airflow screen mounted at the top of the sport screen .

pipster326

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 08:51:02 AM »
I paid $3900 for a 2012 DT 300i in October . It also had 600 miles on it and it was in perfect condition .what a coincidence,lol. I live in north Jersey, we pay a little more for everything in this area.It doesn't seem overly priced,but it didn't know about the starting problems that the others mentioned. Hope this helps

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 03:48:26 PM »
Good price, and not everyone has had this starting issue. :-*

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2016, 03:48:54 PM »
Scooters that start reliably are the best buy and the most fun.
Please check out the posts on starting issues of this Kymco model. ...it seems to be the most trouble prone of all the Kymcos which have not been messed with (stock in other words) mentioned on this forum. And the fix does not seem easy .....
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

flavioguy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2016, 06:27:09 PM »
Thanks all for the input. 

I did notice a video on YouTube that the later models will turn over but not start unless the side kickstand is up.  Interesting.

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2016, 06:56:28 AM »
The sidestand switch is a scooter safety feature, (the CVT is always engaged, no neutral) so the thing does not race off without you after you start it.... ☺

While that switch has given some people problems, this is not  the main issue with the XC 500.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 06:59:21 AM by xsel777 »

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2016, 12:04:49 AM »
The problem on the fuel injected bikes, (mine is a carbed 2007), seems to be a cold start issue? The bikes seems to need a fully topped up/off battery to spin the engine fast enough to start. The cold lowers the cranking amp's, and the bikes won't start. I think when Kymci went from a carb to F-INJ, they did not up-date to a larger/more powerful  battery? A true gel battery has the most cranking amps of any lead acid battery. I would think a lithium battery even has more. Going to 1 of these should fix the problem? If you need to you can plug in a battery tender type of charger to keep the bike up to top charge at all times. Just pug it in after you ride. :-*

flavioguy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2016, 03:22:18 PM »
Thanks Sissy Mary for the input.  As I have two battery tenders that won't be a problem.   :D

Xcel777 - I suppose I wasn't clear.  On other scooters I've had, if you didn't bring up the side stand, the bike did not turn over or show any indication of starting.  Kymco's safety solution, to let the engine turn but not spark or get fuel, is a bad option in my opinion.  Of course reading the owner's manual helps!   ;)

You all have a great week!

bongoman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2016, 11:32:25 PM »
I switched to a lithium battery and that helped the cold-start issue. This battery does not need a trickle charger as much as a regular battery. Mine has sat for almost 2 weeks, and still started. This battery does need to be warmed up, so the factory recommends turninng on the key and headlight for up 5 minutes before starting. Lithium also comes with a 5 yr warranty.
2009 Xciting 500
2015 Lance Cali Classic 150
Adventure is a two-wheeled journey

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2016, 01:14:46 PM »
If you go to ebay and type in xciting 500, you will find may patrs available for the bike, such as lithium - true gel batteries etc.  :-*

mrbios

• 2005 Kymco Grandvista 250cc
  • Just crusing along on my 2005 GV250
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2016, 06:40:42 PM »
The problem on the fuel injected bikes, (mine is a carbed 2007), seems to be a cold start issue? The bikes seems to need a fully topped up/off battery to spin the engine fast enough to start. The cold lowers the cranking amp's, and the bikes won't start. I think when Kymci went from a carb to F-INJ, they did not up-date to a larger/more powerful  battery? ..

I have the same cold (below 50 degrees & also general dampness) start issues on my 2005 GV250 with a carb.  Also, same issue needing a strong batter.  I suspect the real issue is the stock engine does not have enough compression (~145 psi) and that makes starting more difficult.  Also, conditions that are both cold and damp.
PaulC

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()