Author Topic: Second battery  (Read 2816 times)

blue

• View Profile
Second battery
« on: February 03, 2016, 04:32:48 PM »
Is there anyone other then me that runs 2 batterys on there scoot.I run a second one for exta stuff like cell phone charger and radieo .  I have done it many of times . But I now wonder does it shorten the life of the battery and can the stator keep up with 2 batterys. Or will it make the stator work to hard and wear it out.  Just something that was on my mind. I can deal with one battery but I like the extra hooked up for a safty thing to if one gos bad on me and im a long ways from home.

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
Re: Second battery
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 07:40:06 PM »
your two battery set up is good as long as the batterys are the same !  if you have two different batterys they will draw from each other, look up ion batterys they are multy battery set up they have to balance,    old man asking, is it spring yet?  got to go out and snow plow again, damn it

paceneedsstides

• Cuz I can't drive...55!!...No I mean that I try...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 09:00:44 PM »
how do you have it wired and can you take a pic? I have thought about this for adding led lights
2013 Kymco/Malossi Like 70 2T
Technigas Next R Chrome exhaust
Malossi Dellorto 19mm Carb
94 main jet
Malossi Multivar
Dr Pulley 6gr Sliders
Malossi Blue Rear Pulley Spring
Malossi Torsion controller
Stage 6 Sport Pro Clutch
Stage 6 upgear kit
Malossi PHBG Open Racing Filter Chrome Covered

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 10:18:04 PM »
I have a water proof water box down by my feet.I put the battery in.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 11:57:50 PM »
Would a significantly more powerful battery do the same - without adding extra weight & $ of another battery?
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Urbestfriend

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 12:08:39 AM »
I am now using Float Chargers,  One on each of the two bikes and one on the Wheelhorse with the Plow on it.  Usually less than $10.  Next I bought a 12VDC Multiplier  (Plugs into the outlet offers three or four extra outlets.)  Then I bought a Digital Voltmeter that plugs into the Multiplier.  These 3 items were around $30 total.  These batteries only last 2-3 years,  so I hope the Float Chargers extend the life.   How do you mount these items?  Go to K&J Magnetics and order a set of RX033CS-P Magnets $8.  Remove one of the screws in the Brake Reservoir and replace it with a longer countersunk screw.  Take the other magnet and mount it (Maybe JB Weld)  it to the bottom of the Multiplier.  Be sure your magnetic poles are right.  Now you can see the Volt Meter.  I also have LED lights and a Hopkin's Deer Alert hooked up.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 12:52:09 AM »
Would a significantly more powerful battery do the same - without adding extra weight & $ of another battery?
Stig
   My battery box is only so big.

paceneedsstides

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 02:05:41 AM »
do you have them both hardwired into system or is secondary charged externally? I have thought about having a removable one in my underseat storage and run led running lights and possibly led underbody colored leds.
94 main jet
Malossi Multivar
Dr Pulley 6gr Sliders
Stage 6 Sport Pro Clutch
Stage 6 upgear kit

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2016, 01:15:37 PM »
do you have them both hardwired into system or is secondary charged externally? I have thought about having a removable one in my underseat storage and run led running lights and possibly led underbody colored leds.

I have theam hooked to each other so the stator will keep theam both charged.But now that you say charge secondary.  MMMMMMMM Imsure there is away to do that. You would have to tap in to the stator wire to do so. And that kind of wiring I don't like playing with.

paceneedsstides

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2016, 04:17:46 PM »
when I meant charged externally I meant one I could pop out and put on charger when I'm not using it to save weight and stress on system since what it would be poering would only be at night anyway.
94 main jet
Malossi Multivar
Dr Pulley 6gr Sliders
Stage 6 Sport Pro Clutch
Stage 6 upgear kit

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2016, 07:10:16 PM »
when I meant charged externally I meant one I could pop out and put on charger when I'm not using it to save weight and stress on system since what it would be poering would only be at night anyway.

Ya that's why mine is in a water proof box. and easy clip on wires.to pull out fast or to just hook up to a tender.
I most use the second battery when I go for long rides and need a cell phone or extra lights. Every thing I put on the battery has easy clip on wires. for easy take off.  Works great.Plus I can charge both batterys  at one time .or 1 at a time. If I want the second battery off the scoot I just on clip the 2 wires and take it out of the box.

Urbestfriend

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2016, 07:28:42 PM »
Are you sure you're not worrying a lot about nothing ?  I have 9 or 10 LED lights on each bike.  When looking at the Voltmeter,  there is no significant change whether on of off.  Cell Phone Charger shouldn't use that much either.  In fact, I'm not sure the Charge Port is even on when the Ignition is off.  The other thing is you could put a double throw switch between the two batteries and select the one you want.   Best of all,  the extra battery at my feet ca

Urbestfriend

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2016, 07:30:13 PM »
can be used for your case of pop or beer.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2016, 09:39:00 PM »
can be used for your case of pop or beer.
    yes you are right makes good for a storage box too.I put extra tools in it at times to.

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2016, 05:56:14 AM »
I mounted a second battery inside my XC500EFI met box when I was having cold start problems.in parallel. It worked fine at the time, but now that the scoot is behaving after extensive workshop time, I removed it.

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 with Tapatalk

2010 Kymco Xciting 500Ri-Dark Blue

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()