Author Topic: SOLVED: Starter Motor Keeps running - Starter Solenoid/Relay replaced twice.  (Read 4694 times)

• View Profile
G'day there,

I have a Kymco Super 8 125 and there's a problem with the starter motor running after I've shut off power.

I've replaced the starter relay/solenoid twice now as I assumed the contact points had fused.

I just got another brand new starter solenoid/relay and it's done it again.

Shut the key off for power and the starter keeps running.

It's not the starter button because I can remove the 2 prong clip and it makes no difference.

My multimeter shows a distinct on and off with the switch measuring at the connector near the solenoid/relay when I detach the clip.

I'm lost as to why this is happening or how to fix it which means I can't ride my commuter.

Any ideas ?

I'm feeling like wheeling my scoot off a cliff right now !

Cheers.

Tony
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 04:20:13 AM by 6828 »

• View Profile
Re: Starter Motor Keeps running - Starter Solenoid/Relay replaced twice.
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 07:38:36 AM »
Opening up both the failed starter solenoids I found they had arced shut so the circuit was completing across the starter motor.

I read someone in the forums saying that the ground wire off the starter motor should be checked. If there isn't a solid connection the ground has nowhere to go so the plates inside the solenoid take a hit and weld open.

I hadn't done that before but now I'm waiting for a new starter from Malaysia.

The Scoot runs fine otherwise.

I did try a big on off switch connected to the two terminals just to see if I could run the scooter that way but the household wiring I used got really hot, and too hot for real use so I pulled it all apart again.

Besides I'd have to mount the switch somewhere out of the way but accessible enough to use practically.

Anyway, thought I should mention the arced out contacts inside the solenoids and the check the ground tap off the starter motor (Filed it down for a better connection)

Tony

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 12:39:44 PM »
This also happened to me, and I got a Chinese solenoid, but it did not last long. I put in an original kymco, and it has been fine since. Battery compartment is now kept open so I can quickly unscrew a battery terminal wire if need be.

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 with Tapatalk

2010 Kymco Xciting 500Ri-Dark Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 03:03:02 AM »
Thanks for the reply.

I've ordered a heavy duty starter solenoid on eBay. I'll see what that does instead.

I'm tired of "It should work, it looks the same as the original" kinda problems.

Cheers.

Tony

This also happened to me, and I got a Chinese solenoid, but it did not last long. I put in an original kymco, and it has been fine since. Battery compartment is now kept open so I can quickly unscrew a battery terminal wire if need be.

2wheelfun

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2016, 03:51:40 AM »
Starter button could be sticking closed.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2016, 04:40:18 AM »
I thought it could be too, so I tested the switch and it is definitely not sticking.

Tony

Starter button could be sticking closed.

mrbios

• 2005 Kymco Grandvista 250cc
  • Just crusing along on my 2005 GV250
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 12:49:12 AM »

I'm tired of "It should work, it looks the same as the original" kinda problems.
Tony

Always check with an online or local dealer to compare costs.  Sometimes the dealer price is crazy high so then its back to ebay and "it should work"... 

By the way if it does work / fit  etc post the information in the forum so people know exactly what to order and the cost.
PaulC

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 01:34:38 AM »
Something to check.......I had a scoot that did the same thing. And all it was is theres a rubber seal that was worn out wear the starter motor gos and was make contact with metal and made it stay on 0nce I started the scoot.
it shorts out the gounnd. and also check out the wireing that gos to the starter moter if the rubber on the wireing is touching metal that may do it to.    just check it out the funniest things happen.

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 01:49:32 AM »
I'll definitely check that out ! thanks for the heads up. Sounds like you could be onto a winner there. :)

Something to check.......I had a scoot that did the same thing. And all it was is theres a rubber seal that was worn out wear the starter motor gos and was make contact with metal and made it stay on 0nce I started the scoot.
it shorts out the gounnd. and also check out the wireing that gos to the starter moter if the rubber on the wireing is touching metal that may do it to.    just check it out the funniest things happen.

I checked with local dealers and only one out of 4 even bothered to respond to an email. They wanted $40 for something that costs $5 on eBay. Buying spares here in Tasmania is a joke. I have to beg people to take my money and not just once, you have to beg them on multiple occasions !

I'll be interested to see how the new Starter Solenoid works when it arrives in the next couple of days.

Always check with an online or local dealer to compare costs.  Sometimes the dealer price is crazy high so then its back to ebay and "it should work"... 

By the way if it does work / fit  etc post the information in the forum so people know exactly what to order and the cost.

mrbios

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2016, 07:14:24 AM »
...Buying spares here in Tasmania is a joke. I have to beg people to take my money and not just once, you have to beg them on multiple occasions!

Wow.  I guess ebay is looking like a better choice.  Keep us posted on your progress.
PaulC

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2016, 04:19:42 AM »
Alrighty, I fixed my starter problem and I've made a mod that is ridiculously over kill but I didn't want to risk a standard part failing again.

I've installed a UniPoint Solenoid designed for a car and a mount to fit it.

I also had to fabricate a controller from one of the failed units so I could connect up the UniPoint unit.

Would I suggest that anyone else does this ? ..... um... no :) but it worked for me !

Lessons learnt:

The whole reason I had starter solenoid problems was because the ground wire from the starter motor was not grounding properly and/or the connecting nuts used on the Kymco starter replacements I used were over tightened causing the the connectors on the inside to weld themselves.

I didn't stop the lock nuts from moving when installing the replacement unit's and it's possible that they were over tightened.

All I'm sure of is that the new system works and I've learnt from my errors and more about my Scoot, and that can't be a bad thing (Frustrating maybe though).

(The first image shows a modified Starter Solenoid with two different terminating threads. It wasn't shipped that way)

Tony
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 11:12:04 PM by 6828 »

mrbios

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Thanks for the update & solution.  Cool pictures.

You might want to use electrical tape on both positive connections to prevent a short or accidentally touch them with a wrench while performing maintenance.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 05:28:26 PM by mrbios »
PaulC

• View Profile
Good idea.

I might put it into a rubber boot like the connectors.

I did that on a car battery many years ago when I was loosening the positive terminal and grounded on the body work. My arm got a nice zap ! ;)

Tony

Thanks for the update & solution.  Cool pictures.

You might want to use electrical tape on both positive connections to prevent a short or accidentally touch them with a wrench while performing maintenance.

xsel777

• View Profile
Very well done man. I like your Make it Happen attitude. 👌

2010 Kymco Xciting 500Ri-Dark Blue

• View Profile
I made up a quick rubber cover for the new Solenoid with Gaffa Tape and pieces of an old inner tube.

I've secured it with rubber covered wire to hold it in place.

This should keep things clean and me out of trouble if I need to fiddle around the carbie or what have you.

Tony

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()