Author Topic: Derestricting your Agility CDI  (Read 36426 times)

Agil

• mgtapGD
    • View Profile
    • Beautiful Girls in your city for night
Derestricting your Agility CDI
« on: April 13, 2008, 10:34:35 AM »
this allows you that your Agility runs 9000 rpm
just cut the CDI on a place shown on picture, there is a tiny copper wire which should be cutted
Just be careful, do not cut too much

CDI placement

cut it here:

macro view: the wire is brown copper spot 1 centimeter under arrow, not the black spot shown by arrow

Urbestfriend

• View Profile
Re: Derestricting your Agility CDI
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 02:27:45 PM »
Adding to Agil's Information.  Yes..This does work.  I've increased 2008 Agility 50 from 42 mph. to 47 mph. and possibly 50, if I can get the right wind and stretch of road.   I didn't Dremel or grind a slot.  I used a single edge razor blade and carefully cut a "V"
into the center of the rear edge as shown in his pics.  Be careful,  this copper wire is very, very small and I thought it
was almost molded into the wall of the box.  Cut the wire.  Once you've run the motor.  Fill your slot with silicone and
press a piece of tape over it to flatten the silicone out neatly.   June 08.

scootergrisen

• View Profile
    • scootergrisen
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 01:59:43 AM »
Cool thanks for the info on the cdi.
But how do people find where to cut in the first place... ?
Someone must have destroyed a CDI to get this information.

Urbstfrend you are not running with a unrestricted CDI and a restricted variator are you ?
If you do that i have read it could give you engine damage.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 02:01:48 AM by scootergrisen »

Urbestfriend

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 04:04:19 PM »
These CDI's apparently used to have an exposed green wire that was easily cut.  Then one day,  some electronics expert said,
"Hey let's cut this wire and see what happens".  This wire is really really small.  After I cut it,  I immediately started the engine to be sure it still ran and it wasn't until I hit the road,  I realized it really helped.

Now here's the scoop on the Variator.  I've never read anything about that.  However,  let me say cutting the wire doesn't exactly turbocharge it either.   If the wind's behind you,  then you'll notice it,  if it's against you it takes a while to get up to any speed FAST.
I wouldn't be too overly worried.  Now...If I do a muffler / carb. change,  it could be an issue.

50cc is an in-town conveyence,  however I have driven 11 miles to work at 5:00 a.m on a 2 lane state highway along the white
line.  I also have yellow strobes on top of the rear trunks on all three of my bikes and always wear either a Fluoroscent Orange
or Lime Yellow ANSI III Jacket.   People rarely,  if ever,  cause me any trouble.    Frankly some think I'm law enforcement.

Bob O

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 06:10:16 PM »
Wow, 9,000 RPM is screaming.  What is the max rev stock? 

My 50 goes 33 mph on the flats and 35 downhill.  The dealer gave me a clutch bushing that said would let the clutch shift out further and give another 5 or 10 mph, but I haven't put it in there.  Anyone done that mod?   I can post a pic of the bushing if anyone wants to see it.

My state has a 30 mph max speed for mopeds, anything faster and it's considered a motorcycle then you need a helmet and insurance and license plate and endorsement.  The moped doesn't need anything of these things.  I supposed you could just ride 30 mph when the police are around and when you're out on your own you could wind it up.   :D
RIDE or go home!
A wife-beater is nothing more than a big CRY BABY!

scootergrisen

• View Profile
    • scootergrisen
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2008, 10:19:35 AM »
Bob O > I would like to see that clutch bushing.... if you can post i picture that would be nice.

I used that bushing on the front part of the variator:

Is it the same as the one your talking about ?
The restricted bushing is to the left in the picture and the unrestricted bushing is the right on.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 02:36:33 PM by scootergrisen »

yajblackburn

• 2004 ZX50, 2000 People 50, 2002 Yup50
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 09:26:16 PM »
Almost all newer upper end scooters have the CDI restriction.  The factory limits these scooters to 30mph to comply with state laws.  Most laws state that a scooter exceeding 49cc's or 30mph max speed is considered a motorcycle.  I'm sure most of you already knew that.  These engines are actually designed for 9000rpm's and 45+mph speeds.  They have the same 49.3 displacement as a Honda Spree but build bigger carburetors, bigger intake diamater, bigger exhaust tubing and a muffler that is capable of getting rid of exhaust.  They put the CDI wire on the inside of the box so people just can't "cut" the wire as the old ones had the green wire loop.  People find a way to bypass that system.  That resrictor has always been there, someone didn't find it by luck.  A dealer probrobly told someone who told someone else.  Just as with the rest of the restrictions. 

x-seed

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 10:06:55 PM »
Bob O > I would like to see that clutch bushing.... if you can post i picture that would be nice.

I used that bushing on the front part of the variator: http://mentos.wep.dk/scooterhjemmeside/billeder/cvt010.jpg
Is it the same as the one your talking about ?
The restricted bushing is to the left in the picture and the unrestricted bushing is the right on.

hi ppl, im just a noob to scooters, motors, and many more.

im portuguese, i just bought a kymco agility 50cc, for 500€ with 3000km.

i dont think the former owner did anything to it.

i just cuted that cdi wire, but haven´t tested it yet.

i think i did it well, found the cooper wire and cut it gentely.

as for the other mods, i just cant find pictures on the web, and as i am a noob to motors engines etc, can u help me out with that picture of the unrestricted bushing (i dont even know what a bushing is lol).

thanks in advance.

[]

tlgibbs

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 03:38:16 AM »
Here is a link to an illustrated guide to putting an unrestricted clutch boss bushing in an Agility 50.  It is very simple to do and will take about 15 minutes.  The only special tool that is highly recommended is an impact wrench (you know, the ones that are run on compressed air, like the mechanics use).  With the impact wrench the nut on the front pulley comes right off.  Without the impact wrench it would be very challenging to remove the nut.  The bushing makes a big difference.  My Agility 50 now does between 40 and 45 simply be cutting the cdi and installing the bushing. 

x-seed

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 10:48:50 AM »
Here is a link to an illustrated guide to putting an unrestricted clutch boss bushing in an Agility 50.  It is very simple to do and will take about 15 minutes.  The only special tool that is highly recommended is an impact wrench (you know, the ones that are run on compressed air, like the mechanics use).  With the impact wrench the nut on the front pulley comes right off.  Without the impact wrench it would be very challenging to remove the nut.  The bushing makes a big difference.  My Agility 50 now does between 40 and 45 simply be cutting the cdi and installing the bushing. 

i dont see the link,  :P but i found it myself in the web, i tested the cutted CDI and it works fine for me.

the bike was going 45 km/h, now 55km/h, much more rpm.  i tested it on plain ground.

glad it worked.  :D

as for the clutched boss how much do u think it will gain on km/h?

is it worth it?

tlgibbs

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 09:22:32 PM »
Oh yeah, the link.....

http://www.scootertherapy.com/bosspage.html

Doh!

I think it is well worth putting the clutch boss in.  The part only cost me 35 or 40 dollars and made a world of difference.  It allows the scooter to perform as it was originally intended, not restricted.  I can't give you km/h references, but in mp/h I went from a top speed of 30 to somewhere between 40 and 45.  You can convert those numbers to km/h for reference.  The only two modifications I have done is the clutch boss and the cdi cut.  I did them both at the same time so I don't know how much either modification alone would make.  The top speed varies according to road conditions, incline or decline, and wind.  I don't think the overall horsepower or torque is affected by these mods, so it still takes awhile to get up to speed.  The consensus is that these two mods should be done first, and possibly changing the carburetor jet (which I have not done) before doing any other mods.  Personally, these two mods are probably all I will do to my Agility 50 for now.  Other options such as a big bore kit, different exhaust pipes, etc., all cost hundreds of dollars.  If I were to do any more mods they would probably be clutch springs, rollers, stuff like that which is relatively inexpensive and gives some benefit. 
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 10:06:47 PM by tlgibbs »

x-seed

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2009, 12:37:31 AM »
thx m8.

i found a little piece in the tool bag of the bike that seem to be the clutch boss (unretricted)

it´s a chrome cilinder 4/5 cm.

could that be it?

i read somewhere that ppl discovered these pieces in the bikes after they bought it?

tomorrow ill try to post a photo.

yvg

• Kymco Agility 50, Kymco Super 8 50
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2009, 11:12:22 PM »
It is. Diameter 20mm, length 38mm.

x-seed

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2009, 07:38:09 PM »

these parts were in the little tool bag.

is that it?

franx93

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2009, 09:06:22 PM »
what is the size of the jet? (the yellow screw)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()