Author Topic: A really really high road  (Read 1189 times)

litespeedlujak

• View Profile
A really really high road
« on: January 18, 2010, 03:24:10 AM »
What is the highest elevation you've ever had your scooter.  I saw video of a tour in Italy and the Vespas were up around 8,500 feet.  The highest paved road in the United States is Trail Ridge Road located in Rocky Mountain National Park.  The road travels over 8 miles above the 11,000 foot level and tops out briefly at 12,183 feet.  Is it possible to take a carburetor scooter to this height and the bike still be running.  Would anything necessary need to be done to the bike to make it run?  There is no way I would spend much money to make this possible.  Would the bike have to be rejetted?  Thanks for the help.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: A really really high road
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 04:41:28 AM »
NAWWWWW! Foam rubber in the intake will "starve the alt> effect. Go for it! Let us all know how it worked out.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

winginman

• View Profile
    • Accugen DNA Service
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 03:16:20 PM »
Been across that pass in the Rocky Mt Park.  Was on a 97 Goldwing with carbs.  It was a little sluggish, but ran ok. It was a different story going up Pikes Peak (14,110 ft).  Got almost to the top and had to stop for traffic and almost couldn't get going again.  Hardly had enough power to take off, had to slip the clutch and rev really high, no power... but we made it. 
For a fun ride try 550 out of Ouray, CO to Silverton then on to Durango.  They call it the million dollar highway.  You rarely drop below 8,000 ft and are over 10,000 ft in places as well.   Great road, only one I have seen that had signs telling you to stay on inside of white line.  (There was "nothing" on the outside of the white line, just a sheer drop for a long way.  Like I needed a sign to tell me, huh.)
Been back out there several times on the 01 GW with fuel injection and had none of the problems I had with the 97.  I would think the fuel management system on the fuel injected scoots like the X500 would not have a problem.  I hope to get back out the on the Kymco in the next couple of years.  Probably gonna have to retire to have enough time to do so.  I've had the scoots down to the Smokey Mts, best altitude is a bit over 6,000 ft.  Been all over the Smokeys, but after the Rocky Mts the Smokey Mts are just tall hills.  Still al lot of fun on two wheels.
Jim
09 Kymco 500Ri (His)
04 Aprilia S500 (Hers)
01 Honda GL1800 (Ours)
DNA Paternity Testing www.accugendna.com

litespeedlujak

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 03:42:51 PM »
Thanks guys.  I hope to hear from a few more folks.  I think there is a good possibility I'll save this post.  It's good to converse with people who are willing to help.  I don't live in Colorado.  But if the finances go well, I plan on doing a ride out that way this summer. 

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 11:23:21 AM »
My highest elev. with scooter: Nufenen Pass, Switzerland, 2478m/8130ft. (with bicycle much higher)
European roads aren't very high and/or closed for the public. Highest public road 2802m/9193ft.

carbureted engines can be adjusted for higher elevation. Already 1954/55 during a trip around the world an altitude of 4600m/15902ft was reached - with a 50cc engine!
http://www.kreidler-archiv.de/weltreise.htm
A friend of mine guides tourists to the highest pass in the world, Kardung La, 5602m/18379ft - on Indian Royal Enfield motorcycles.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 03:41:55 PM »
My highest elev. with scooter: Nufenen Pass, Switzerland, 2478m/8130ft. (with bicycle much higher)
European roads aren't very high and/or closed for the public. Highest public road 2802m/9193ft.

carbureted engines can be adjusted for higher elevation. Already 1954/55 during a trip around the world an altitude of 4600m/15902ft was reached - with a 50cc engine!
http://www.kreidler-archiv.de/weltreise.htm
A friend of mine guides tourists to the highest pass in the world, Kardung La, 5602m/18379ft - on Indian Royal Enfield motorcycles.

These would probably run on sludgy mixture of mud and snow, a bit of a thin mountain air is no issue for them. :)
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()