Author Topic: Snow chain for scoots  (Read 6790 times)

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
Re: Snow chain for scoots
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2010, 04:07:07 PM »
...gonna snow here tomorrow night...only gonna be in the 20's all day saturday...imma be slippin' and slidin' again....
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2010, 04:08:51 PM »
What is the problem? If you need a U.S. address you can Drop Ship thru mine. If there is a reliable shipping company that ships to Croatia, I can order what you need, and post it myself to you. It must be hell to be left out of the circuit....Let me know what I can do to help!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2010, 05:26:31 PM »
Heidenau told me, they unfortunately have no actual  importer in Croatia, but in Romania, Bulgaria, Austria, Italy etc.
Croatia is surrounded by supported countries, there should be a way for "smuggling" the tires.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2010, 06:57:32 PM »
What is the problem? If you need a U.S. address you can Drop Ship thru mine. If there is a reliable shipping company that ships to Croatia, I can order what you need, and post it myself to you. It must be hell to be left out of the circuit....Let me know what I can do to help!

Zombie, thanks for fronting to help fellow scooter-man!
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2010, 06:58:59 PM »
Heidenau told me, they unfortunately have no actual  importer in Croatia, but in Romania, Bulgaria, Austria, Italy etc.
Croatia is surrounded by supported countries, there should be a way for "smuggling" the tires.

All EU countries, I guess they have a conservative expansion business model. :)
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2010, 08:53:13 PM »
No trouble at all! If I can help by shipping parts your way, simply email or pm me. It seems crazy to have a thing like shipping stop you from enjoying your ride. I receive most orders in 4-5 days, so I would think another 5-7 from here.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2010, 11:49:41 AM »
The last may be true. Sorry to hear about that.
But Heidenau is known in GB or USA etc. You can find dealers in Alaska, California, NY, ...

Now there is a company selling Heidenau here too.
There is a little problem though - the price.
Usually you can get Dunlop or Sava for around 45 US$.

120/70-12 58SREINTL K58/M   JMQ 7460215 ALLWETTER   106 US$ 

120/70-12 58SREINFTL K61   REIF HEIDENAU   111 US$

120/70-12 58SREINFTLK58/M   REIF HEIDENAU M+S SNOWTEX   147 US$

I wonder if they will sell even one tire here at these prices.
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2010, 05:33:58 PM »
Those tires must be gold belted radials for that $

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2010, 07:50:42 PM »
Those tires must be gold belted radials for that $

Maybe they provide a complimentary groundhog or weasel with the tire...
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2010, 09:52:21 PM »
I've been meaning to ask; Is our little ground hog all grown up? And did they ever find the missing news reporter?

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2011, 02:31:14 PM »
It is interesting that pretty much nobody sells them, at least not on the Internet. There is just one German company that sells a set of five snow claws for 110 EUR. ( http://www.mv-motorrad.de/lshop,showdetail,2004g,e,,,10107,,,.htm )I would have to pay at least 50 % import taxes on top of that and this would be enough only for rear tire. Even Chinese do not sell chains for scoots or bikes on Alibaba Express. Obviously it is not very much in demand. :)

It is possible to find so called "emergency" claws here and there on some web shops and they also cost a lot and I am not sure just one claw would serve the purpose.

A friend of mine (who lives 500 kms away!) volunteered to help and with my idea and his material and work, I have a set of double chains for my People! (there are five per wheel).

To be honest, I have just received them and hope they will go under the rear fender as there is barely 2 cm of free space (and I have somewhat worn out rear tire, the new one would be even higher).

Now, I am fully equipped and just have to wait for the next snow (had it twice this year already and usually have it maybe once or twice per year for a duration of one or two days max. where I live).

Here they are, finally:

---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

Whisper

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2011, 07:42:57 PM »
Unfortunately, if you are having problems with rear wheel traction, you'll prolly have front wheel traction problems too!

How to tell you have Rear Wheel Traction problems:
- High RPMs
- Low/No speed
- Great Rooster Tail

How to tell you have Front Wheel Traction problems:
- The rubber side of the scoot is not on the bottom
- The shiney side of the scoot is not on top
- Scratches are apparent on your helmet/elbows/etc.

;)

What we used to do with dirt bikes and dual purpose bikes is get an old set of tires.  Then put wood screws in them, from the inside out.  The amount/pattern is left to your whim.  Then mount the tire with a tube.
From personal experience - THIS WORKS GREAT.  However.  The tire will be horridly out of balance, and it isn't very kind to a bare, dry street.

I am not proud to say (Actually, I am really proud of it, but not supposed to be), I used to ride in snowy/icy conditions on my motorcycle, sticking my feet out at 'safety outriggers'.  I really don't recommend this at all - but at the time it was a necessity for me.

GL!

W

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2011, 08:51:02 PM »
They sell ice screws specifically designed to added to knobby tires.... to the outside of the tire.

Whisper

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2011, 09:56:17 PM »
Where were you with that information ten years ago!?!  LOL!!!

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2011, 11:56:22 PM »
the cops say no no to that in michigan. so I just took some strong rope and weave it around the tire. works pretty good.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()