Author Topic: new noise!  (Read 1888 times)

Oskar

• View Profile
new noise!
« on: January 26, 2010, 07:28:52 PM »
Does anyone recognise a low but irritating sound from the transmission area? the sound occur in the constant speed of about 40 and 80 km/h. the sound is almost recognised like a small bird wissle, dosent affect the performance (i dont think) but it havent been there before. Can the drivebelt be worn or sloppy? the clutch is replaced. any ideas?

Oskar

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: new noise!
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 07:39:03 PM »
Have you tried applying the brakes one at a time to see if the sound goes away? It could be from a rotor or bearing on the wheel(s), or maybe a "boss" on the multivar or clutch. If you can remove the cvt cover and run the scoot on a stand it may help to pinpoint the source. Dry lube on the clutch boss, or multivar boss may cure it. Ps Every time I rev my scoot on a stand I wrap a Bungee cord around the front brake lever. Don't need a runaway.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Oskar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 07:48:32 PM »
ok when i put the bike on the centerstand and rev it i can hear the sound and it comes from the front of the transmissoin area, i dont know what "boss" etc is can you please explain a little? i know roughly how the variomatic works but nothing detailed.
when i rev it on the centerstand the sounds occur att about 5000 rpm.

oskar

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 08:00:43 PM »
..to get to the variator boss, you must remove the cvt cover, remove the nut that secures the variator to the crankshaft, and then slide back the washer, fan and flywheel...the boss is the tubular bushing that goes aroundthe shaft, through the next pulley of the variator...if you will search the 50cc boards, there are several pics and links to guide you through this process...

..my profile pic is of the inside of a cvt...the variator is to the left..

..how many miles does your scoot have on it?

« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 08:08:18 PM by wordslinger »
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

Oskar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 08:27:39 PM »
Ok, thanks for info, but do anyone have an idea what it can be other than that? my guess is the belt but the scooter only have 6000 km, and the noise appeared at around 3000 km. I read a thread about dry lubricant, could that be something to spray the variator? 

oskar

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 08:34:51 PM »
..it may very well be the belt...whirring around the variator..

..it might also be smart to remove th cvt cover just to inspect everything...you said that the clutch has been replaced...

..lubrication of any kind, should not be applied to the pulley surfaces or the belt...

..zombie was referring to lubricating between the boss/crankshaft...

..some people do use a dry lubricant on their variator rollers..i've tried it also, but the little bit of effect that it creates is short lived..

..variator rollers are designed to be "self lubricating"...

« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 08:37:16 PM by wordslinger »
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 12:06:35 AM »
My thought was to locate the noise using the dry lube, or even spray silicone. A little squirt around any suspect areas may help to locate the source.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()