Author Topic: Does De-restricting a kymco agility 50 void the warranty???  (Read 5138 times)

natemeade

• View Profile
Does De-restricting a kymco agility 50 void the warranty???
« on: February 02, 2010, 06:00:09 PM »
I just bought a new 2009 kymco agility 50 and I wanted to derestrict it, but I heard this will void the warranty, is this true?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 06:28:23 PM by natemeade »

Shaka

• View Profile
Re: De-restricting kymco agility 50
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 06:25:05 PM »
I have a new 2009 kymco agility 50 and I wanted to derestrict it, but I heard this will void the warranty, is this true?
Good question for your dealer.  I think ultimately it's up to them.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 06:55:04 PM »
In Croatia it does not, for all scooter brands.

I think that's logical because derestricting makes the engine "breathe" better, especially in case of 2strokes and 50 cc 4strokes that are quite weak and stay out of breath easily. 50 cc scoot restricted to 49 km/h during run in period in the summer is close to deliberate engine destruction! I think that restrictions significantly lower the life span of small engines, if not removed.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 07:56:21 PM »
Axy's been bit!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 10:16:23 PM »
One experience with restricted scoot.

Piaggio NRG 50, 2 stroke. After 3000 kms with restrictions on, the exhaust will have so much carbon deposits inside, it will start choking the engine.
The engine easily overheats (water+forced air cooled, no fan)
The exhaust can needs to be cleaned from inside.

When the restrictions are removed, no problems at all...
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

Kimcofan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 01:13:36 AM »
Go ahead derestrict it.  If something goes wrong you can always buy a new cdi and play dumb

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 09:45:21 AM »
Go ahead derestrict it.  If something goes wrong you can always buy a new cdi and play dumb

:) :) :) :) :)

I remember that in the past, on scoots there was no CDI restriction.

Instead, there was a ring on the variator that did not allow full belt expansion and some kind of tube in the exhaust pipe that prevented full gas fumes flow out of the can that had to be cut and welded. Also sometimes the carb had to be readjusted.

I guess there are various systems.
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 11:34:29 AM »
Almost all 50cc scoots have a rev-limiter built into the cdi now. Some still use a throttle limiter.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 11:35:39 AM »
:) :) :) :) :)

I remember that in the past, on scoots there was no CDI restriction.

Instead, there was a ring on the variator that did not allow full belt expansion and some kind of tube in the exhaust pipe that prevented full gas fumes flow out of the can that had to be cut and welded. Also sometimes the carb had to be readjusted.

I guess there are various systems.

..my new 08 had both cdi restricted, and a variator bushing...
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

Kimcofan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 04:32:44 PM »
For the most part there are multiple things you need to do for derestricting.  The variator bushing, rejetting and cdi are the easiest two things to change.  If you do these mods you can then determine weather your top speed is what you are looking for or not they are also the easiest things to switch back to stock.  You can always go from there.  I think once you do these mods you will be satisfied for city driving, but if you do rural driving you will probably want some more speed.  Try them out, and then figure if its what your looking for

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
Re: Does De-restricting a kymco agility 50 void the warranty???
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 01:33:03 AM »
Awesome answer kimcofan, Some get bit, and some don't. (By the tunning bug that is)

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2010, 02:14:47 PM »
I just bought a new 2009 kymco agility 50 and I wanted to derestrict it, but I heard this will void the warranty, is this true?

..in my experience, unless you take ur new scoot to the dealer for all it's oil changes, valve adjustments, etc...they gonna pretty much void your warranty anyway...i tried to get a starter motor thru th dealer, 23 months into my 2 yr warranty...the dealer said that KYMCO asked them for the service records, of which there were none...So they denied my request...Now, I'm not sure what ANY service record would have to do with a faulty starter motor, but it is what it was....

peace

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2010, 11:32:24 PM »
..in my experience, unless you take ur new scoot to the dealer for all it's oil changes, valve adjustments, etc...they gonna pretty much void your warranty anyway...i tried to get a starter motor thru th dealer, 23 months into my 2 yr warranty...the dealer said that KYMCO asked them for the service records, of which there were none...So they denied my request...Now, I'm not sure what ANY service record would have to do with a faulty starter motor, but it is what it was....

peace
Thats Bull$hit!!!!  I could see if it was a new motor you were requesting, but a starter, c'mon!  Why can't a company stand behind their product?  I would send Kymco an email asking them the same!

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2010, 11:10:36 AM »
..i'm not sure if it was kymco or the dealer....

..it did suck tho...

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2010, 10:33:32 PM »
Either way, the dealer should stand behind their products as well!  Taking care of your customers only leads to repeat business!  Part of the reason so many businesses fail within the first couple years!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()