Author Topic: Breaking In A New Scooter and Maintenance???  (Read 2498 times)

natemeade

• View Profile
Breaking In A New Scooter and Maintenance???
« on: February 03, 2010, 01:34:33 AM »
Hey I just bought a brand new Kymco Agility 50cc Scooter, and the dealer said to break it in for a few weeks.  What does this mean and what is the best way to break in a new 50cc scooter.  Also what kind of regular maintenance should I do for my new Agility 50cc?

spooker

• View Profile
Re: Breaking In A New Scooter and Maintenance???
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 02:24:35 AM »
Don't drive it too fast--keep it under 75% of it's max speed.  Don't use WOT (wide open throttle), and don't keep a constant speed for long stretches of road.  Remember that it has special break-in oils in it, which should be changed after a couple hundred miles.  The maintenance schedule should be in your manual.  If you want to do everything perfect and don't know too much, have the dealer do all maintenance.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 06:27:47 AM »
Cool to here you got the scoot!!! Don't worry, you're gonna get real handy real quick! Ride like spooker said, and listen to ALL the noises it makes. If YOU have to break it in...  then it is only fair that THEY gave you a quality scooter. Use the dealer for any suggestions on the specific issues. like oil & such. But Definitely Investigate Everything!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 11:41:09 AM »
..hello nate, and welcome to the forum!!

..once you get her broken in, first oil changed then run another 1000 km or so you'll want to adjust your intake and exhaust valve clearance...

..spec is .04 mm...

peace
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 01:35:44 PM »
Don't drive it too fast--keep it under 75% of it's max speed.  Don't use WOT (wide open throttle), and don't keep a constant speed for long stretches of road.  Remember that it has special break-in oils in it, which should be changed after a couple hundred miles.  The maintenance schedule should be in your manual.  If you want to do everything perfect and don't know too much, have the dealer do all maintenance.

I would still after 20-30 kms when the engine is warm use "WOT" from time to time and replace oil after 100-150 kms.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 07:44:27 PM »
...well, i swore that i wasn't going to ever say this out loud, but here it is anyway...

..I bought my 08 new, drove it home (20+ miles) from the dealer, restricted but at WOT pretty much all the way..

..rode every day, (40 miles a day) for a cpl weeks, WOT pretty much all the time, changed the oil, had it de-restricted..

..been riding at WOT pretty much ever since...

..now, by no means am I advocating this type of "break-in"...

..but after over two years and nearly 42,000 km later, i have me one screaming lil A50...

peace
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 01:28:04 AM »
If it is gonna break...Break it! Thats how I run also. If you break it, and say you got the advice from Joes garage? Is this your first scooter/cycle? If so then take it easy. If not why bother asking? We are all bro/sist. here. Keep posting and let us ALL follow your progress... If you keep digging back thru prior posts, I don't think your warranty will matter much. Sorta like "gonna be bit". Best to ya!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()