Author Topic: New Scoot Tuesday  (Read 6002 times)

Shaka

• View Profile
Re: New Scoot Tuesday
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2010, 07:17:22 PM »
It takes about 1 pump per 1 psi.  It's also easy not much effort to pump!  I have a relatively nice specialized floor pump, also has an accurate built in gauge.  I use it on my car tires as well, they are low profile so it's not much volume.  It's just much easier to grab the pump and take it outside, rather than trying to deal with dragging out the air hose then winding it back up!  I guess really, I'm lazy too! ;D

rick71

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2010, 10:55:24 PM »
I got it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

.. and .... it's raining ..... sheesh.

It looks like it will dry up shortly. I'm hoping to take it to get dinner.

It sounds Grreeaaatttt....

Some bad things... there's a ding in the left back panel down into the grey part of the plastic, and the windscreen rattles.  The dealer made notes, and the new panel will be here in a few days, they'll fix the windscreen rattle then.

WooHoo... Now, I gotta figure out how to post pics ...
Rick

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2010, 01:21:26 AM »
I think shaka is resting...
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

rick71

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2010, 11:09:34 AM »
When the rain stopped I took it for  ride. It rides like a BIG bike (compared with my Scarabeo 250).  It won't turn on dime like the 'Beo will, and I'm going to have to get used to the smaller tires. If the skies are clear-ish, I'll ride it to work this morning. It's a 20-25 minute ride through a small town with a couple minutes of 45 mph road at each end. I really like the leg space. I can have almost any leg position I want. And it sounds great.

The side cases that can be put on the bike only come in silver/black, so I'm leaning towards bags instead. The cases can be painted, but I not sure how that will work out. The bags are ess expensive, easily moved, same capacity and cheaper. Anyone have any thoughts?

More reports as I ride.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 06:44:32 PM by rick71 »
Rick

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2010, 05:22:47 PM »
To have cases painted at a good shop would run around $100.00. Prep, + Materials. Thats what I do for a living, and I work cheap so 100 may be on the low side.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

rick71

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2010, 06:43:53 PM »
To have cases painted at a good shop would run around $100.00. Prep, + Materials. Thats what I do for a living, and I work cheap so 100 may be on the low side.

That might make the cases a little expensive. Do you think painted cases would be durable/scratch resistant?
Rick

rick71

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2010, 06:57:48 PM »
I rode to work this morning. For some reason 38 degrees was a lot colder this morning than it has been the past couple of weeks. It is supposed to be colder tomorrow... 28-30. I'll get to try the new snowsuit and gloves.

The "sport" windscreen seemed to block wind  better than I thought... or maybe I was just delusional from the cold. I guess I got more familiar with the bike as I rode. I still notice the heaviness of it, but it seemed easier to maneuver than I though last night. I better understand why people have said it is more of a cruising bike than an "around town" bike.

And that bike does NOT like speeds below 30 :-) It sort of shutters/shakes at take-off and low speeds, and really smooths out moving up... and it gets to 50 (indicated) quickly. Maybe its a break-in thing.

All in all, though, I really like it so far. More reports to follow.
Rick

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2010, 08:57:40 PM »
If you go w/ a QUALITY paint such as Nason, Imeron, Awl-grip, you wont have any trouble w/ scratches. Stay away from CHEAP auto enamal. What you would want is a 2 part urethane paint. Rock solid & shinny. All the 500's seem to have a shudder from the clutch. The best advice I have seen is not to baby it. Get on it, and go. Malossi makes a MUCH better clutch for your scoot that you may want to consider. This link will take you to the multivar, and you can look around for the page w/ the clutch. If you like your scoot now, you will LOVE it tuned up..   http://www.malossiusaonline.com/category_s/23.htm

rick71

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2010, 10:26:52 PM »
Thanks for the paint tips. I guess I'll go do some pricing at the shop the dealer recommended.

As for the clutch... I'm less than one day into a 2 year warranty. I don't think they would look kindly on me mucking around with the clutch right now.

I learned a new lesson today... when it seems like the scoot is just TWO DAMN HEAVY to back up... make sure the parking break is off :-)
Rick

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2010, 11:21:52 PM »
Some Dr. Pulley sliders in the stock variator would probably help with the shudder during acceleration and low speeds!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2010, 11:59:33 PM »
Not trying to push you in any direction, but most dealers will approve of quality part swaps. There is another 500 rider here that has had the same problem w/ the shudder. His dealer replaced  the factory clutch (under warranty) and I believe replaced it a second time w/ a malossi. I had to laugh at the parking brake. That will add a lot of weight.

rick71

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2010, 11:24:40 AM »
As I get ready to go to work, it is 34 degrees F.....
... at least it isn't raining :-)

Edit: Made it to work OK. Worst part was when I had to put my legs down. The cold kind of crept through. I put over-sized  sweats over my pants, wore my regular cool weather jacket, and a rain suit over everything. I'm going to have to look into other gloves. The ones I have are big, bulky and hard to manipulate, but they did keep my hands warm.

Hopefully it will be warmer at lunch :-)

Edit: I didn't leave for lunch, but did go out to dinner after work. 45 degrees. Not bad. I really like how the headlight is aligned, and the lights in the dash are great

So, Ive ridden on wet roads, in the cold, and at night. I'm feeling a little better about that 2 hour ride to Ocala for the Scooter Encounter rally.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 12:34:46 AM by rick71 »
Rick

winginman

• View Profile
    • Accugen DNA Service
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2010, 03:55:02 PM »
Ha Rick welcome to the parking brake club.  ;D
The Dr Pulley sliders will smooth out the take off and low speeds.  I imagine the Malossi set up is even better but the Dr Pulley is cheaper and easy to do.  I had the same problem with an 04 Scarabeo 500 and Dr Pulley took care of that one too. Cheap upgrade for about $50.
I hear you on the cold...  got some battery operated gloves and inner soles on order.  I will report on how well they work. In the meantime I am using some gloves with pockets for the hand warmers. And yeah they are bulky and make grabbing brake harder.  They work ok if you put them in ahead of time and let them warm up.  But after about an hour in 32 - 34 degree F weather my hands still got cold.  Insulated chaps and snowmobile jacket from Cabelas keep everything else warm. 
Jim
09 Kymco 500Ri (His)
04 Aprilia S500 (Hers)
01 Honda GL1800 (Ours)
DNA Paternity Testing www.accugendna.com

rick71

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2010, 12:35:30 AM »
I'll have to ask the dealer about the shudder and possibly replacing the rollers.
Rick

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2010, 02:14:59 AM »
Hi=Jacck allert. Cabelas is the BOMB for soooo many things. Dr. Pulley seems to be the next best thing. The concept is there, and all the reviews I have seen are positive. I saw one ill review that stated the barrels separated from the shell, but that was one of 35-40 reviews.(for Dr. Pulley) Your scoot is not a Ferrari, so parts are relatively cheap. Buy the best available, and you won't go wrong. Ie: Tires, belts, cables, cvt parts, fluids, ect...  I have 2+ years on a modded 50cc that should not have lasted a few months (according to some). Kymco makes a ROCK SOLID base. It's up to the end user to maintain it. Keep searching thru the web to find opinions about the best set up for your scoot. Some dealers are VERY informed, while others are not. I trust MY Malossi rollers because I have a Malossi Multivar. You did find the right forum to start with. Maybe you will post a perfect set-up for the 500. SOME LIKE IT HOT!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()