Author Topic: Kymco ZX50  (Read 102041 times)

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
Re: Kymco ZX50
« Reply #135 on: March 25, 2010, 04:22:03 AM »
G'Day, did a plug chop, finally, since raising the needle yesterday it is a lot better but I think it needs to go up one more, what do you think?
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 25, 2010, 04:23:27 AM »
Can't see too much with that photo, here is one of the plug I have been using.

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 25, 2010, 04:27:15 AM »
Really hard to tell in that pic.  I can't tell if it's all the light or it is really lean.  That one looks leaner than the last, my guess is the pic though.  How long are you running the plugs for?  Just a tip, but I did end up re-using some of my initial "real lean" plugs for later plug chops after I knew it was running richer than before.  It just added color to the previously white plug.  I'm still trying to use up all those darn plugs! ;)

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 25, 2010, 04:29:25 AM »
The second pic looks pretty good.  Is that your all around plug?  My guess is that you're good on everything up to WOT.  Which indicates too small of a main jet.  You might try to go one jet larger and drop the needle.

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 25, 2010, 04:39:50 AM »
The needle was on the second notch and yesterday I raised it to the middle one, do you think I should try going up one more or just order a new jet? The pics were taken in the daylight, (beautiful weather at the moment, hence yesterdays ride).

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 25, 2010, 05:24:21 AM »
The needle only adjusts the fuel flow from about 1/4 - 3/4 throttle.  At WOT the needle is not a factor.  You have the needle pulled all the way up out of the jet.  If you are running lean at WOT the only thing you can do is to increase the jet size.  The needle position is really to adjust the mid-range and the transitions into and out of it.  I may have already given you this link, but if not check out the small blue graph of what "circuit" of the carb is operating at which throttle position.  This is a good visual of where you need to make adjustments.

http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/How_To_Tune_PHBG_Carburetors
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 05:27:47 AM by Shaka »

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 25, 2010, 05:52:19 AM »
Yeah, after I posted thast post I realised it might be something like that. what about when cruising, just backing off to maintain speed? it seems to have a rattle there. Maybe a crabked ring, with the heating and seizing issues in the start it could be possible?

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 25, 2010, 05:54:44 AM »
I will check that link when I get home. (on mobile phone at the moment).

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 25, 2010, 09:17:50 PM »
Hey Guys! Fell off the planet for a couple days. Amazing how much happens! Sid, I think those chops look great. The rattle MAY be pre-ignition. Do you have any photos of the head before you installed it? (combustion chamber) Are you running Hi Test fuel? My scoot has a funny rattle to it at idle, that I just live with. I re-checked everything 10 times, and figure it is just the harmonics of the set-up. If you cracked a ring you may be able to either see it or feel it thru the monstrous exhaust port on that jug. there will be a score in the jug if a ring broke. It only takes seconds for a broken ring to leave its mark. Well a plug chop at full throttle will get you set on the main jet, as the photo did look good. You may want to go 1 step colder though. For a new jug there should be a little more oil showing. the plug is showing how the cylinder looks, and I think it is a little dry for break in. Have you posted a link for the kit you have? I would sure like to see that.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 25, 2010, 09:43:28 PM »
G'Day zombie, sounds like you need the antigravity boots.  :) I have mixed the fuel oil @ about 33:1 (300ml.oil/10.00litres petrol). I don't know what high test fuel is but am using Shell V.Power which is 98RON. (the highest available here). I don't have a photo of the head. The rattle is at cruise as you back off to maintain speed, it was worse before I raised the needle so I am thinking a larger jet, (is a 107 now) have emailed seller for a larger one, will also check local bike shop as I think it looks like a mikuni jet he showed me last week. here is the link, hope this works.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-DIO-82cc-90cc-Big-Bore-50mm-cylinder-kit_W0QQitemZ330416972035QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotorcycles_Parts_Accessories?hash=item4cee62e103

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 25, 2010, 11:25:58 PM »
Right, found main jet to be same as keihin, so changed to 120 (also have a 125). took for a ride and a little sluggish so dropped needle back to original position, second notch. jet was easy to change through a plug in the bottom of the bowl.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 26, 2010, 12:39:48 AM »
I told you I live where it $uck$. Grav boots would make it $uck more. Hi test is slang for the best you can get at a station. The photo from the link helped quite a bit. The head has the correct orientation of the cooling fins for the shrouds, which is a good sign. It also has an offset plug/combustion chamber which is another +. The bit about the rattle does sound like pre-ignition, and that would explain why the plug has good color, but is soooo dry. I forgot to say how cool that pipe looks on the scoot. It has a massive header pipe. I can say I felt a chill... Not to sound like I read a book, and got smarter... BUT have you checked the piston to head clearance? (squish) Most people seem to agree that .5-.8mm is best. Shaka had alot of trouble w/ gaskets on the bottom of the jug, and at the top to balance the cyl.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 26, 2010, 12:47:21 AM »
G'Day zombie, I did check the clearance of the piston to the top of the barrel, though I didn't measure the gap, there was clearance there.I am going for the big one and am trying to post 2 pics. Plug with 120 jet.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 26, 2010, 12:50:23 AM »
Too Lean. See the crackle on the electrode? That is pre-ignition! Was that a w.o.t. chop?

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 26, 2010, 12:57:57 AM »
Still thinking of trying the 125 jet. Hey, that carb. needle just turned up as I was writing this post, thanks zombie but  the new carb is in.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()