Author Topic: Kymco ZX50  (Read 102032 times)

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
Re: Kymco ZX50
« Reply #150 on: March 26, 2010, 01:00:07 AM »
Yes a W.O.T. chop, (with some drongo in a Commodore getting in the way).
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 26, 2010, 01:04:40 AM »
No Doubt! go richer, and maybe colder. If your mid range can handle a bigger main. You may wind up w/ the needle at the top notch, but then a fatter taper will move it back to the mid position. Deff. go bigger on the jet
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 26, 2010, 01:15:21 AM »
Sounds good to me, at least we have the jets locally so I can actually follow your advice now. Shall I go with the 125 or go and get a 140. They have them up to 200 so I should get it right eventually. These are the jets for this carb.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 26, 2010, 01:18:29 AM »
My gut says 125, but I will bet it will wind up 130-133?
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 26, 2010, 01:23:27 AM »
OK, will go put the 125 in and go get a 130 for next try.

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 26, 2010, 01:42:30 AM »
It does look lean, or a combination of too hot and lean.  I think I'd go for the right mix before I messed with the plug temp.  Just remember, too rich is better than too lean!   It is better to go with a jet you know/think will be too big and work your way smaller!  I think that rattle you are describing may be detonation.  Like Zombie said, that one pic with the flaky stuff on the electrode is what mine looked like when I was having those issues.  Yours has a better mix color than mine did though. 

I've got some new parts on the way for mine.  A new clutch, clutch fly springs, piston rings and gasket set.  I'm going to use the new base gasket as a template to attempt to make an aluminum jug spacer for my set-up.  That will allow me to take out the extra head gasket I've been running and raise my port timings and squish as well.  I'm hoping that won't put me back in the detonation range!  I think raising the port timings may give me a little better performance.  As well as the new piston rings to hopefully get a little of my compression back.  I still working towards my 60 mph goal, only 5 more to go!  I know it's hidden somewhere in the fine tuning! ;)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 26, 2010, 01:48:54 AM »
It's in there... somewhere. Have you tried soldering the jets closer sid? If the 125 is better, and the 140 is tooo much (just a guess) you can close down the 140 to what you need.

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 26, 2010, 03:02:40 AM »
Ran the 125, this chop is with the same plug as last time, got a 130 jet, if no better I will go for the 140. I am getting worried that I might have damaged my piston with all of the too lean/hot running, hope I haven't cracked it in the top ring groove.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 26, 2010, 03:40:15 AM »
It is better. The "crackel" is less. The color is still too lean. How far/much time is on that one? How did it feel/sound? If you realy think it is a damaged jug/piston assem. it won't hurt to pull the head. I liked the coffee color plug from the second post. Was that just an overall? Oh hey Did you see the 2t tuners books links? I cant sit, and read the whole thing on the computer, but it does have ALL the answers about the damage, and why it happens. Funny thing is I figured most of it w/out all the math. Your kit looks Kick A$$! It May take a second piston to tune it reliably. I'm not sure but just a thought. It is very difficult to damage the jug if you have a simple detonation problem. Aluminum can be washed out of the bore. If you burn thru the crown of the pist. you will have alum. in the case which sucks. Maybe just pull the head, and see what is going on w/ the cly. walls. Look CAREFULLY at the dome of the pist. (magnified) and look for a rough patch. Kinda like sandpaper. I see this one as a potential 70mph project that once broken in will last. After all bro you have a stable full of thorough breds, and this is just a scooter

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 26, 2010, 04:01:47 AM »
Nah mate, it's just the noise that bothers me, only there when warm and worse as gets hotter, I will try the 130 jet before oulling the head. I did have a look at the 2stroke tuners handbook, though a lot of it is above me there is still a lot of info for me to learn from. The part about the forces of the gas on the rings was interesting and right at where I was having trouble (due to excessive exhaust restriction). 70mph on Sid is a scary thought, but who am I to deny him? Won't be able to do any more tests over the weekend as we are going to adeleide ( our local capital city) for the weekend, one of our dogs has been selected to go into the state obedience championships. We will be leaving tomorrow morning and won't be back until Sunday night. This is Loki. Tri-colour Border Collie.

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 26, 2010, 04:04:28 AM »
It still looks pretty lean down on the inside, where the mix ring is.  I'd think if you have a broken piston ring you'd know it for sure by now!  I don't have a whole lot of experience with broken rings though.  Just one a while back on a pocket bike, it was pretty obvious something serious was wrong!  You may want to toss the 140 in there and see how it goes.  Like I said you can always go smaller without risk of damage in the process!

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 26, 2010, 04:05:20 AM »
This is Flash, Border Collie X Collie. She made it to the state champs. last year and completely bombed. Lovely dog all the same.

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 26, 2010, 04:07:07 AM »
Cheers mate, I'll whack the 130 in now and go get a 140.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 26, 2010, 04:17:49 AM »
A Calico Puppy!!! How friggin' SWEEEEET!  I KNEW there was a connect. I have the World State City Universe NON Diocletian Champion breeding pair! In fact when you finally get the needle assem. you will IN FACT have some of their DNA. I stuck it all together w/ Scotch tape. Oh yeah. I have gotten my NEW set-up to 67mph (7 months ago) and w/ out a fork brace I would not recommend it. Even good tires can't stop the frame from flexing on a GREAT road. Stay alive Sid. The puppy needs a ride to the show. Oh yeah. The noise IS pre ign. I will bet my Breeders on it! Enjoy the show Bro, Hope you guys ROCK IT.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 26, 2010, 04:25:22 AM »
Just messing about the dogs! They actually won a contest on Pluto. Not the coveted WSCUNDC! We Vaca. there.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()