Author Topic: Kymco ZX50  (Read 102026 times)

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
Re: Kymco ZX50
« Reply #180 on: March 26, 2010, 10:01:43 PM »
Isabell
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 27, 2010, 12:16:28 AM »
Isabell. . . Who?

Sounds like you are getting closer!  At least now you have a range to work with!  You will find that magic number between 130 & 140.  Try to focus on getting the WOT/main jet set first, then address the mid-range and needle height/taper.  You may need to do 1/2 or 3/4 throttle plug chops once you get the WOT sorted.  The easiest way I found to do that is to take some masking tape and wrap it around the grip.  Mark off 0 throttle, full throttle, then split the difference into 1/4's.  This way you can easily replicate the exact same throttle position for your test runs.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 27, 2010, 02:09:14 AM »
Tell Isabell her MOMMA left her pager on the nite stand...
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 27, 2010, 02:19:55 AM »
Yeah, I will get a 133 on Monday and see how that goes.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 27, 2010, 12:40:47 PM »
...isabell WHO???

...i can't thinkk of aything good....

..dang hippie grass....
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 27, 2010, 01:22:41 PM »
Isabel really necessary on a bike?

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 27, 2010, 05:03:13 PM »
Why don't elephants ride bicycles?   

They don't have a thumb to ring the bell. 

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 28, 2010, 11:49:37 PM »
G'Day All, put a 132 jet in this morning, seems to have lost performance and also reduced top end. Plug looks rusty.

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 29, 2010, 02:43:52 AM »
130 my be the one to go with.  The 132 may be a little safer though.  I've heard somewhere to find the "best running" jet and go one size larger to be on the safe side.  The performance may have been better because it was running lean.  The lean running condition will give more ummph, but the engine won't last as long.  This is good for racing, but not daily driving.  Was the noise still there with the 132 jet? 

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 29, 2010, 03:30:07 AM »
Buy rusty do you mean color or texture? I agree w shaka on being slightly rich vs. lean. Maybe a 131 would be a good compromise. That's why I prefer to cut/solder my own. You would really have nothing to lose by opening one of your smaller jets. also have you tried lowering the needle w/ the 132. the other sugestion would be try the 130 w/ a colder plug. you can try 1-2 ranges colder to really get it dialed in. That will also help reduce the possibility of detonation. sounds like you are just about there tho. Have you checked the jug for any further damage yet?
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 29, 2010, 07:13:20 AM »
G'day, No I haven't check the jug yet, would rather wait for a new head gasket as I have allredy had it off once before, though I may try again later. With the 132 jet the noise was still there, but just to see what would happen I raised the needle to the next notch and I reckon by playing with the gearing could get a reasonable compromise with performance. By rusty I meant the colour but that was an old plug, I tried to upload a picture of it but was unable to, something about the upload folder being full.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 29, 2010, 10:14:28 PM »
Your pict. may have been over the size limit. Not dimensions but the file size. I have a hell of a time getting picts. to post. Shaka mentioned running 2 base gaskets to drop the compression a bit. that may be worth a try as well as a colder plug. The hard part is tuning w/ out destroying it. once you get the set up It's Miller Time.

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 29, 2010, 10:28:46 PM »
G'Day zombie, I dont think it is the size as it is a different message. I took the scoot to work last night and was not as good as I thought, wanting to cut out when backing off when cold. I will change the plug today, put the 132 jet in tomorrow and like you and Shaka  suggest, I will cut another gasket. I took the exhaust off yesterday to replace the tyre so I had a look in the ex. port with a torch and a mirror. Though there were signs of heat on the piston there didnt seem to be any visible damage. with these changes I want to do them 1 at a time so I know what is doing what.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 29, 2010, 10:33:08 PM »
That's the right approach. Do you know if it was too rich, and trying too stall, or too lean and not getting a "charge" to fire. Did it just pick back up w/ throttle, or sputter then pick up?

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 29, 2010, 10:34:01 PM »
By the way, the tyre I put on was a Continental "Conti Twist", 120/70/12. (standard size).

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()