Author Topic: Kymco ZX50  (Read 102025 times)

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
Re: Kymco ZX50
« Reply #195 on: March 29, 2010, 11:32:43 PM »
I changed the plug, went for a ride no real change, gave in to temptation and changed the jet, though it is not as snappy it is all round better so I will leave it for a day or so. When it died off it would pick up with throttle and quite snappily so, in answer to your question I think too lean, maybe 130 is a little small. with the 132 in now I reckon it might be worth regaining the extra response by gearing but this is all new to me. I will try to put up a pic of the plug that came out.
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 30, 2010, 12:04:18 AM »
I think you are about right with the jet, but your getting some detonation at full throttle.  I think you need to either put in a 2nd base or head gasket to lower the compression.  You my need to play with the jetting again after adjust the jug.  I would go for the 2nd head gasket if your happy with the port timing.  If you put in a second base gasket keep in mind you will be raising the ports slightly.  It may be best to pull the head and see what your port exposure is towards the bottom of the stroke.  I think either gasket will solve your detonation problem, but one will give performance than the other!  Also have you checked your compression recently?  That plug is kinda a funny color, I've never seen mine that color.  Are you running any other fuel additives?  Those will make some funny colors sometimes.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 12:07:04 AM by Shaka »

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 30, 2010, 12:31:19 AM »
Well, I dont know anything about port timing but I am sure you will enlighten me in time. no fuel additives, maybe a little hot? will have a look at plug tomorrow. I wik gowith the base gasket as I can cut it myself and not wait a week for it in the post

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 30, 2010, 02:22:35 AM »
Sounded too lean. Try the 130, and lower the needle. Give it a run at full throttle w a new plug. then you can start tuning down the range from there. My idea is once you get the wot dialed in it is a matter of finding the needle position. I think the color is from either the brand of oil or a detonation front right under the plug. raising the jug will stop that. Just to be sure tho I saw a cool tip on scoot invasionusein a thread of solder wicked in thru the spark plug hole. The idea is to get the solder to the edge of the cylinder, and rotate the engine to squish the solder. That will show how much clearance there is between the piston. and the head. (squish band) use a very thin piece as shaka and I both think you may not have enough clearance there. It should be between .5-1.0mm (.8mm being best). this last bit will take a lot of guess work out.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: March 30, 2010, 02:23:20 AM »
My bad. Do the solder bit before moving the jug.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: March 30, 2010, 07:20:52 AM »
That  sounds like  a good idea, will try that tonight. With the 130 jet the needle was at the lowest setting. is at the lowest setting now with the132.

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 30, 2010, 08:38:57 AM »
Tried the "squish test" with a piece of solder 1.21mm thick, no squash, tried to get all areas of cylinder but no "squish so must be plenty of clearance.

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 30, 2010, 09:48:05 AM »
The oil I am using is Fuchs Silkolene Scoot 2.

Calothrix

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 30, 2010, 05:05:01 PM »
I'd get some strange looks if I'd ask for that oil in the US. :o

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: March 30, 2010, 05:44:02 PM »
  yeah, I did too, until I found out the correct pronunciation.

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: March 30, 2010, 05:56:27 PM »
That's odd you couldn't get any squish measurement!  I don't understand what that noise you're hearing is if it's not detonation?  Are you sure you were getting the solder all the way to the edge of the piston?  From looking at the pics of your plugs, I don't think you are running lean enough to cause it with greater than 1.2mm of squish.  I've been wrong before though!  Hey, maybe I'll learn something new when you figure it out! ;)

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: March 30, 2010, 06:31:06 PM »
Yeah, Im satisfied i got it to the edge, and tried in a few places around the cylinder. the noise is not loud but gets louder as engine gets warmer. the noise is not there under load but when backing off and just slight deceleration.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 07:07:00 AM by sidthesloth »

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 30, 2010, 07:46:19 PM »
When I had it it was only at WOT when the rpm's got to a certain point.  I think yours sounds like it is in the top of the mid-range.  I would think raising the needle would fix it.  You might want to do a plug chop at 3/4 throttle, or whatever throttle postion it makes that noise in, and see if it's lean.  See if you can replicate that noise for long enough to hold it there and see what the plug looks like.  You may end up having to go with a differently tapered needle.  One where it's fatter at the top and skinnier at the base, with a shorter taper length.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: March 30, 2010, 08:18:47 PM »
I'd get some strange looks if I'd ask for that oil in the US. :o

Btw. "(der) Fuchs" is a fox in German.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: March 31, 2010, 07:18:55 AM »
Righto, been at it again, 135 jet just for the sake of trying, not real good. The night before last going to work on a fairly good downhill run at around 80 kmh with the 130 jet started surging until I backed
off but coming home in the morning along a different route (long slight uphill) held 80 quite well.
Last night going to work with the 132 jet down the same downhill run surge was still there but not nearly as much. Today I tried the 135 jet and bogging too much at wide open, lower top speed (struggle to make 80), so tried a 48 pilot jet (original was 45) but no real improvement. I have now gone back to the 130 main with the 48 pilot to see how that goes. Unfortunately I don't know where to get any needles from. What I forgot to mention was I put the needle up 1 notch to the second lowest before any jet changes today. Tomorrow I will get some more plugs and do some chops if I get a chance, w.o.t., 1/2 and 3/4 throttle and see what that shows. My lack of experience is showing and am trying some experimenting with the jets, (must be frustrating for you blokes on the other side of the world).

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()