Author Topic: Kymco ZX50  (Read 102016 times)

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
Re: Kymco ZX50
« Reply #225 on: April 02, 2010, 12:35:46 AM »
Ahh, not hog wash at all, I agree with the plug direction, though I had no real understanding of the tech. side of it, my view was more simplistic. Being good friday I will have to wait until tuesday to get some shim. Thanks for all this, I an learning a lot that I should have known a long time ago.
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: April 02, 2010, 12:40:35 AM »
It's all good my brother! Happy Easter Bunny Birthday...
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: April 03, 2010, 07:14:28 AM »
Tried plug indexing this morning but all I could find on hand was another plug washer, this got the plug to facing the right hand side. Not quite there but will keep trying. I dont know if it is running any better but it seems a little quicker but that may be due to the new variator I put on this morning (see different size variator in tech. section). Breaking all the rules but resistance is kinda low when the parts are just sitting there mocking you. :)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 03, 2010, 06:56:02 PM »
I feel ya on the parts. The var certianly helped more than the plug. A plumbing supply house may have the copper gasket/shim you need, or bring a few extra old plug gaskets to a machine shop w/ a press, and have them flattened to different thicknesses. Getting the combustion chamber working right is the most important thing you can do .
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: April 03, 2010, 07:17:44 PM »
Cheers zombie, will keepat it.

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: April 04, 2010, 07:55:35 AM »
With regards to the rattle, I tried to take the flywheel off but no go without the correct puller. After replacing the variator rattle is gone completely, zombie you were right on the money about echo, the noise was barely audible on the drive side but loud on the other side, almost as though the flywheel was amplifying the sound. Glad that one is sorted without extra cost.

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: April 05, 2010, 08:42:04 AM »
G'Day zombie, I was going through some pics I took through this job and found one of the piston. The mark on the piston crown was from an extension bar.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: April 05, 2010, 08:11:54 PM »
Those rough spots are from Detonation. I can also see the jug is way high. Is the piston at tcd in the photo? With the plug indexed, and the head shaved I think it will all come together. Replace the piston, and rings once you get the other sorted out. That piston will work as a spare, but I wouldn't run it as it has been made brittle from the excessive heat. Try to find an aluminum base gasket that is thiner than the .51mm paper one. That will reduce the amount to mill off the head also. You're on the verge tho Bro!. I see the light at the end of the tunnel from here!

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: April 05, 2010, 10:46:24 PM »
I honestly couldn't tell you whether it was tdc or not, I would have to pull it apart and do it again. Would an aluminium gasket be nessecary, or could I just cut one from paper? I will order a new piston and head gasket. I would have to check but I think the base gasket may have been a bit thicker than .51. Cheers mate this is enormous help.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 11:06:09 PM by sidthesloth »

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: April 05, 2010, 11:16:35 PM »
The optimum is to have the edge of the piston = top of the jug. That way the Squish is = to the recess in the head. Using a thinner/thicker base gasket will even that out for you. I know... One more thing to loose sleep over! It sounds like you are having good results from the kit tho. It may be my next set-up.

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: April 05, 2010, 11:25:09 PM »
Not losing any sleep over it, I am at the point now where I can enjoy the results and still make improvements. I am about to order a new piston and two head gaskets but am wondering whether I should just buy another complete kit. I now have the exhaust and carb and a bit of practice, the original one would be used as spare. Points to ponder. By lowering the barrel that will alter the port timing, but I have no idea which way, would it be better to shave the top of the barrell? How do you determine the port timing anyway???

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: April 06, 2010, 01:20:06 AM »
There are some good threads on timing on scooter invasion. Also even better are the Two stroke tuners handbook, and Two stroke tuning. I posted links on here somewhere, and lost mine in a firey P2P crash. Shaving the jug to me is a big step. Most of the timing corrections can be done thru porting, and shims. Simply cleaning any sloppy edges, and matching the transfer ports to the case. is enough for a daily driver, with a lot more zip. Full blown port jobs will add a few more hp/torque, then reliability does suffer. Many people will swear otherwise but life span of the parts is proportianal to power output. I find it easiest to fit the parts to work within the specs. Match the jug to the stroke, match the piston to the head, match the pipe to the rpm range of the jug, and tune the carb to supply the fuel. If you were to get another kit, the first one would make a cool drag set-up. Peak out the timming from the info in the 2 books I mentioned (I think they are under the General section),  mill one head to .3-.5mm, swap out the jug and clutch springs for Drag Day. I just wouldn't drive it every day. I've got 2/12 years on my kit w/ one new piston/rings, and the only other replaced parts are the cvt springs, and belt. To ME 70=mph is too fast for the factory frame. Just my opinion tho. If you gots the Cajones... GO FOR IT! Oh yeah Timing is measured w/ a degree wheel attached to the crank w/ the head off, and the jug torqued down. You measure the point a given port opens, and compare that to the point it closes. That will = the duration of the port. There are formulas in the books that give the optimum opening point, and duration timing for each port. Things like overlap or stagger of the ports is also important. It all turns into the Phyisics of the 2t engine which is pretty cool to see why it all does what it does.

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: April 06, 2010, 01:39:28 AM »
Good explanation Zombie!  I know all that stuff, but it's still hard to write it in a clear, concise way!  I've got new piston rings and another base gasket for mine.  I just haven't had the time to really delve into the finer points of two stoke tuning yet!  Hopefully I will get a chance to start on optimizing my engine porting later in the week! 

Ps. I guess at this point I'll start a new thread, but variator notching experiment = FAIL!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: April 06, 2010, 01:54:27 AM »
AAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!! Was the var too small? Did you get the same Jug kit? Are we there yet? I gotta go ...to the doo!

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: April 06, 2010, 02:42:27 AM »
Thanks zombie, it is all a bit over my head, though there is no reason not to learn. I just went with the piston set, (get it running right first) I think reliability is more important than straight line speed, for my intended use anyway. I did read a bit of the 2~stroke tuners handbook, that was what made me realise the exhaust would have been a major part of my problem, I am trying to make the book a little more accessible so I can have a decent read of it. My computer is not crashing, it is just having heart attack after heart attack. I would like to get another crankcase to experiment with to learn what to do and how to do it, the only problem is there are not many here and from overseas it costs an arm and a leg in shipping. An Avon Viper Stryke tyre from England was about 40pounds, shipping to Aus. was 70pounds.
Did you have a look at the writeup in zx50 section? If so do you think I missed anything?

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()