Author Topic: Kymco ZX50  (Read 101961 times)

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
Re: Kymco ZX50
« Reply #465 on: May 04, 2010, 05:08:21 AM »
Yeah, funny because last time I decreased the squish it did the same thing, maybe I need to go the other way. Experimentation time.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 12:48:15 AM by sidthesloth »
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: May 04, 2010, 05:35:15 AM »
It just may be the head design... With everything hitting the #'s It has to be somewhere. Just a thought it may be it the cases also. The zx has a very restrictive inlet, and case opening. post what happens w/ the head...(up/down). You just may wind up w/ another project! Opening the cases.    Hey Calo.! I knew you would make me laugh! Got us all pegged do ya? I think you study more than Limey's.    Aussie, Brit, Yank, Reb.......no translation needed here!   PFC
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: May 04, 2010, 05:42:57 AM »
When I checked the spacer on the crankcase the inlets on the case were larger than I thought. I guess you are referring to the other end. If I was going to do that I would prefer to get another crankcase to work on, oh, dear, here comes another obsession.

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #468 on: May 04, 2010, 06:33:15 AM »
The inlet under the reed block is very restrictive.  Matching the case and jug may also help.  That's my next step, once I find some metal for my spacer.  I think I may have found a local supplier.  I'm going to check with them tomorrow.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: May 04, 2010, 08:12:37 PM »
"The inlet under the reed block is very restrictive. " That's where I was referring to. Also the jug itself has a cut out that may be blocking the flow into the cases. Just thinking outloud. you're gonna get it real close to perfect w/ the finish work you are doing, and when you get it as good as it gets, do you still have a new piston/rings to swap in? That would be the time to investigate the case/jug match.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: May 05, 2010, 12:55:12 AM »
Well, turn me 'round, kick me arse and send me back to school. Last night coming home from work, long incline, approx. 2 kilometres, 80kmh full throttle bogging down, dying, so this morning I soldered the jet and drilled it out to 1mm, then using tip cleaners reamed it out to somewhere a little below the 120 jet size, took it for a ride, no good, went home and blew out the air cleaner just for the hell of it and was surprised what came out in such a short time of use. Put in the 130 jet and is an improvement, not right but better, must get a spare air cleaner.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: May 05, 2010, 12:56:14 AM »
...filter bites th' ass!!!

;D
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: May 05, 2010, 12:58:57 AM »
Yeah, so disapointed with everything else I forgot to check the basics. This is what they call learning I guess.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: May 05, 2010, 01:00:58 AM »
..i know because it's happened to me before...same thing...dirty filter had me all over th' place...

..oh, and keep a check on tire pressures...

..got bit by that gremlin too....
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: May 05, 2010, 04:23:12 AM »
Which cleaner are you using?

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: May 05, 2010, 06:08:09 AM »
A cone shaped cleaner that came with the carb. was premature, bog over half throttle again.

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: May 06, 2010, 04:01:20 AM »
Well, here we go again, I got some 1mm aluminium plate today to make a spacer for the head this time, experimental, when I took the head off I found the spark plug was loose, must be frustration and disappointment coming through. I took out 1 head gasket and that gave a squish of 0.37mm, I checked two points, above the exhaust and left of the rear of cylinder using solder and digital calipers.
Detonation now at it's worst yet so will try the spacer and see what happens, it sort of goes against the rules but whatever work is what we must do!?

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: May 06, 2010, 04:41:22 AM »
Shaka mentioned the combustion chamber in the head. It my all be in the compression ratio that head is creating. We have been assuming the head was a standard 7-9:1 ratio. It may be much higher by design. Therefore decreasing the squish will also reduce the ratio. I think the highest you can run a 2t on pump fuel is 10:1. If you want to get all tecky then it can be measured, but at this point I believe you have it well under control. Sucks tho to get the head shaved, just to put a "wig" on it.

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #478 on: May 06, 2010, 06:04:39 AM »
Sounds like a definite problem with the combustion chamber.  I've heard a good machinist can enlarge the size of the combustion chamber.  I saw a formula for it somewhere.  Otherwise a spacer is probably the easiest fix!  At least we got your ports in the right place! ;)

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: May 06, 2010, 06:12:38 AM »
No need to shave head, hair has been pulled, nah, just kidding, yep, we are getting there, with the one head gasket it did go a bit harder but will cut the spacer tomorrow, rules are made to be broken.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()