Author Topic: Kymco ZX50  (Read 101957 times)

Shaka

• View Profile
Re: Kymco ZX50
« Reply #480 on: May 06, 2010, 06:35:16 AM »
Will that give you a 1.37mm squish then?  That's not really all that bad.  I'm currently running a 1.18mm squish at least until I get a spacer made.

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: May 06, 2010, 06:56:43 AM »
That is if I use a gasket, I still have two gaskets to play with, if I need a larger squish I will go for it, whatever it takes, just not too much money. :-)
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: May 08, 2010, 11:57:08 PM »
Sorry about the late update, I put the 1mm spacer in yesterday and that has stopped all the detonation, power is down but I will work with it. For now I will play with the carb for a bit to try to get max from it and then I will start juggling head gaskets/spacers to try to bring back some of the lost power.

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #483 on: May 09, 2010, 12:28:16 AM »
Where does that put the squish?  Either way hooray for no detonation! ;D

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: May 09, 2010, 01:16:20 AM »
That would give a squish of about 1.7, too much but I will work on reducing it in the next few days. Power drop sux so there is my incentive.

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #485 on: May 09, 2010, 01:28:40 AM »
Well at least you aren't damaging anything in the mean time through detonation! ;)  I'm going to start work on my spacer this evening.  Wish me luck!  I'm nervous about matching the case tomorrow!  Trying to think of the best way to prevent any metal shavings from dropping inside!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: May 09, 2010, 02:02:26 AM »
I have seen quite a few posts where people are using a garden hose to flush out the cases! I'm not tooooo keen on it but the option is always there. Good luck Bro! Congrats sid! welcome to the down hill slide!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: May 09, 2010, 02:34:25 AM »
For me, I would be stuffing the case full of rags and when you are finished give it a good going over with the vacuum cleaner then blow with compressed air. Patience more than luck, all the best.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: May 09, 2010, 03:04:53 AM »
For me, I would be stuffing the case full of rags and when you are finished give it a good going over with the vacuum cleaner then blow with compressed air. Patience more than luck, all the best.     Sounds good to me!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #489 on: May 09, 2010, 03:50:34 AM »
I've heard of the "water flush".  Doesn't sound like that great of an idea, more of a last resort!  I'm thinking I will tape some plastic to the inside to seal it all off, then stuff with oily rags on top of that. 

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: May 09, 2010, 03:53:00 AM »
There you go!

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: May 13, 2010, 12:28:42 AM »
Last night I pulled the head off again to put in another spacer and saw the piston was a touch over the bottom of the ports so I played with some gaskets and now have the piston a shade below the port and deck height just slightly in the negative but only a bees dick. I now have the head on with only one gasket so that should be a squish of about 1.2mm, roughly. I know I should be taking measurements. No detonation last night but still with carb tune probs. with the air cleaner clogging up it seems to be with oil not dirt. After reading Gordon jenning's book I see how the fuel does blow back along the inlet tract, with my filter getting clogged with oil would that mean I need to lengthen the air filter tube or maybe reduce the oil mix, I am currently running 300ml. to 10litres of fuel, I believe that gives a ratio of about 32:1. I have bought a new filter for it today, wanted a spare before I wash it with kerosens or petrol just incase it damaged it. Looking up from here.

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #492 on: May 13, 2010, 12:41:50 AM »
It sounds like you are set-up about right.  The piston just below the ports and a 1.2mm squish.  That blow back seems to be pretty normal on these scoots.  If you are having troubles with the filter getting clogged you could try moving the filter further away.  Also check to make sure that your carb is lined up properly with your intake manifold.  Might also want to check the reeds as well.  I've never had any trouble with my filter ever getting clogged up with oil.  32:1 sounds like a little too much oil also.  You might try lowering it down to between 38:1 & 40:1.

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: May 13, 2010, 12:50:26 AM »
Cheers Shaka, that squish measure is a guess on what I have used but I think it is pretty close. I will reduce oil in my next mix, I started with that ratio for a safe barrier when starting out, (better too much than not enough). the carb goes into a round rubber sleeve so it can't really be out of alignment.
I am running the needle at the second from lowest setting, want to try to get it to the middle setting if possible, but strangely enough it does affect the throttle at around 1/2~3/4 open.

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #494 on: May 13, 2010, 01:09:21 AM »
I don't know really what to tell you on the excessive blow-back.  It almost leads me to believe there may be something up with your reeds.  Better get Zombie's opinion on this as well.  The needle height has it's effect from 1/2-3/4 throttle!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()