Author Topic: Kymco ZX50  (Read 101944 times)

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
Re: Kymco ZX50
« Reply #570 on: May 30, 2010, 04:11:13 AM »
..the frame is 1" X 1/4" cold-roll steel

..i think it's 3/8threaded rod..aand a nylon cushion on the pusher...

..it's at my plant in my toolbox...i'll get you the dimension if you want...
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #571 on: May 30, 2010, 04:21:16 AM »
Sounds like you're making progress Sid!  How do you like the new sliders?  You don't really need any special tools to open the clutch up.  I just use my impact wrench to remove the bell.  Then I have a 40mm flat wrench at work I use to remove the big nut on the clutch itself.  It works, but the nut is really a 39mm.  I wrap a rag around the clutch and lightly clamp it in a vise to loosen the big nut.  Just make sure you hold it in the compressed position and have someone remove the nut completely while you hold it or everything will fly apart!

If your engine is bogging at WOT then your main jet is too big.  Adjusting the needle position will not effect WOT.  At that point the needle is fully pulled up out of the jet.  The needle position only effects about 1/2-3/4 throttle.  It is ok to have a very slight bog at WOT and get your best performance at just below WOT.  This makes it run slightly rich on the top for safety.  If it totally bogs down though the jet is too big.

For getting more low-end torque out of the engine.  I found that when I raised my cylinder and increased the port duration along with less squish it gave me much more low-end!  It was even more pronounced when I matched the crankcase and cylinder!  I'm not sure if yours would give the same effect as it's a completely different cylinder, but I figured I would share.  Essentially to answer your question; yes, changing the jug height will have an effect on your low-end torque.  Also, keep in mind that you have a low revving cylinder as it makes it's max power at under 9000 rpm.  This is the same as my set-up, as I'm getting max rpm at about 8200-8400.  That is just in the design of the cylinder.   A low revving cylinder doesn't necessarily make less power, it just makes it's power at a lower rpm.  You just have to tune accordingly! ;)

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: May 30, 2010, 04:47:18 AM »
G'day Shaka, yeah I have been playing with the jet/needle combo again, this morn I lowered the needle one notch so hopefully it should be close to right. I have no idea what revs I am running, no tacho, but in riding she just doesn't get the scream thing going, the clutch springs are original as far as I know,15,781km now so must be due for change. The sliders are good but I have not got the full benefit from them yet, but it is working out slowly. Over all, happy as a pig in s*#t. :) :)
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #573 on: May 30, 2010, 05:14:36 AM »
Good deal Sid!  You should really get one of those Trail Tech TTO tachs!  I'm loving mine!  I wish I had one a long time ago!  I would have made the tuning process much easier as you can see the results!  You have the same kms as me! ;D

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: May 31, 2010, 12:31:10 AM »
..the frame is 1" X 1/4" cold-roll steel

..i think it's 3/8threaded rod..aand a nylon cushion on the pusher...

..it's at my plant in my toolbox...i'll get you the dimension if you want...
Thanks wordslinger, when I get my clutch out again I will make one to fit it so don't worry about the dimensions. Cheers.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 06:44:57 AM by sidthesloth »

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: May 31, 2010, 06:48:31 AM »
Well my tool kit does now contain a 39mm spanner, even if it is a home made one. :)
Changed the fly springs today and not a great deal of diference, waiting for the torque spring, I think that will give a better result, though I may need to go bigger again. Started will 1000 not knowing anything about it so this will give me a base line to work from.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: May 31, 2010, 08:21:04 AM »
Which fly springs did you eus? I run the mid weight from Malossi
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: May 31, 2010, 09:07:19 AM »
Ah, some ebay job, 1500 apparently. There is a diference just a little snappier grab.

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: June 04, 2010, 01:27:38 AM »
last night when I got to work and put the stubby holder on the air filter I noticed an oil leak from somewhere around the cylinder base or inlet manifold so on tuesday, my next day off I will pull the cylinder and manifold and seal them up with the Permatex Form-a-gasket. While I am at it I will look at the piuston and see if it is getting burnt oil look down the sides again. I am now wondering if the exhaust I got is what is holding back the engine :-\. All else semms to be ok so will see what the piston shows, I don't want to fit the new piston if that is the case.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: June 04, 2010, 01:29:23 AM »
Well my tool kit does now contain a 39mm spanner, even if it is a home made one

..like that wrench!!!

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: June 04, 2010, 01:33:17 AM »
Yeah mate, like a wrench, not a wench. :)

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: June 04, 2010, 01:34:53 AM »
..need me one of them too...

..yup...

;)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: June 05, 2010, 02:38:45 AM »
Someone posted your exhaust was good for bottom end torque. Did shaka ever figure where your jug was making its power? It may just be a miss-match.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: June 05, 2010, 04:02:49 AM »
Yeah, I think that was customx22, I think it is lacking torque, it just doesn't seem to pull through, but having said that I will have to wait and do some more with the cvt as it is climbing up through the "gears" too soon. When I change the torque spring I should notice a fair difference, the scoot is nearly 3 years old, 15,800 kms and I don't think much was done before I bought it so will be getting old.
Back on track, I was just wondering if that could be it, simple mismatch? A pity to have to spend more money on something already bought, but hey, you don't try, you don't succeed. Will pull the jug on Tuesday as I need the scoot until then.

Hey, Mrs. sid is going for her "P"s tomorrow. That is the provisional licence, the next step up from the learner's permit. She has been riding for about 10 months now and is comfortable with doing U~Turns, both left and right, weaving, stopping/starting. The only thing she hasn't been able to practice is the weaving between the lines, she has mastered slow riding between the parrallel lines. So, tomorrow is the day, please, wish her luck, from here the open road beckons. :) :) :)

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #584 on: June 06, 2010, 01:42:17 AM »
Someone posted your exhaust was good for bottom end torque. Did shaka ever figure where your jug was making its power? It may just be a miss-match.

I can't remember off hand.  I'll try and get a chance to run the numbers again possible tomorrow.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()