Author Topic: First bike, first ride in loooong time  (Read 3687 times)

Hoolander2

• View Profile
First bike, first ride in loooong time
« on: February 09, 2010, 04:25:38 PM »
Hi everyone. :) My name is Paul. Yesterday, for the first time in 32 years, I swung a leg over --grabbed handlebars and Went for a Ride. Just purchased a used '07 Kymco Xciting 500 from dealer in Tallahasse FL.

It was a beautiful afternoon here in Valdosta, GA with the sun out and slightly coolish temperature.  I carefully negotiated the dirt roads leading to the highway -- got gas at corner store -- and by the time I was on the road again, was feeling the old confidence returning.

The Xciting seems nice and solid and stable which helped.  I found I couldn't read the MPH part of the speedo since that part of the guage is such small lettering, so I just guessed at my speed.  Took it up around 90 - 120 KPWhatever and that seemed to be about right for traffic on the two-laner. Faster than I would have liked to do first time out, but it's the only road to town and didn't want to hold traffic up, you know. 

Anyway, everything was wonderful.  Acceleration, braking, and handling were all just fine by me.  Perhaps a little more vibration than I remembered from my '70's street bikes but nothing I couldn't live with.  Went to the grocery store.  Got milk, TP, and misc, all of which fit under the seat (something I never could have done on my street bikes) -- stopped off at the mobile home park where I used to live to feed a stray cat -- then took the slightly twisty two-laner back to the highway feeling absolutely glorious by then, and back home. 

A very very fine feeling. aahhh.

Woke up today ready to do it again and it's raining. . .

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
Re: First bike, first ride in loooong time
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 05:43:05 PM »
...well, welcome to the forum!! and it's good to hear you're back on two wheels!!!

..those 500s are a gem..

..happy scootin'!!

peace
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

Dr. Scooter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 06:08:15 PM »
Welcome Paul to a bike full of enjoyment. I have not had mine long but truely love it to no extent. Understand we are all here to help each other with information. Just let us know and we will help you out as much as possible. And any input you have is nice too.
2007 Kymco Xciting 500

Modding a scooter is a beatiful thing!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 06:21:52 PM »
Congrats' Paul! I live in Carrabelle, and have 1 good piece of advice to pass along. I wont mention any names but if you bought your scoot form the nice people at All About... I would suggest you do all your service work/ parts ordering right here. Personality wise you could not find a nicer couple. Experience wise They are in the wrong business. Their "lead" mechanic belongs at wall mart assembling Big Wheels for Christmas. I hate bad mouthing ANYONE, but every attempt to work with, and build a relationship with my "local dealer" was a COMPLETE disaster. Wrong parts EVERY time. Orders seem to be shipped via Mule train from Mars.High school kids as mechanics... I was even told my 04 Super Fever was a Canadian or maybe Mexican import to explain why they ordered the wrong parts EVERY TIME. I don't have a vendetta or any other motive against this shop, I am only stating facts. You will like your scoot MUCH more if the frustration levels can be kept down. There are loads of links to better part suppliers, and more informed advice can be gotten right here. All that being said, Be safe, and enjoy the ride!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 08:26:06 PM »
Hey.  Thanks Wordslinger, Arkie, and Zombie.  :-)  Yes, I thought I'd find good advice, info, n friends here.  Will be needin the first two and glad to have the third.

In '78 I was hit by a car which made an illegal left turn and lost my left leg below the knee.  I wear an artificial leg now which is fine, but no voluntary ankle movement so can't shift a regular bike.  That's why I quit riding and that's why, now, I'm so happy that CVTs have become reliable and widespread.  Hey, this Xciting 500 might as well be called a motorcycle as a scooter and I can't tell you how happy I am to have it!

Zombie, yes, I got it from that nice couple.  Couldn't have been nicer to deal with. I'd been wondering what to do when service/repairs became necessary.  I don't have a workshop and hardly any good tools (many thousands worth all stolen long ago). Cross that bridge when I come to it.

Untill then, I'll do as you all say and Enjoy! 

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 01:34:48 AM »
Cool Bro! Most of the tools you will ever need to service your scoot will fit in any of the compartments on the BIKE. I also feel the 500 IS am motorcycle! Since your scoot is not a warranty issue, I would suggest a service manual. try to search a link here, and if it has not been posted, The Jacka$$ of links will try to find one. (that being me)  Keep your friends, and stay safe.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

winginman

• View Profile
    • Accugen DNA Service
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 04:01:12 PM »
New guy and he is already rubbing it in about the warm weather...  and it's 21 F here this morning and the roads still have spots of snow and ice...
Welcome Hoolander2 you will find a lot of friends and good advice here.  You will love the X500 as I do mine.  It's like having a step thru sport bike...  :D
Jim
09 Kymco 500Ri (His)
04 Aprilia S500 (Hers)
01 Honda GL1800 (Ours)
DNA Paternity Testing www.accugendna.com

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 04:27:23 PM »
Thanks, Winginman.  :-)  Well, after that first afternoon, the weather here has turned cruddy, rainy, cold, so haven't had it out again.  Booo.  Sure have wanted to, though. 

Ok, I have my first questions.  I don't have a manual of any kind yet.  I'm wondering what do those adjustment dials on the brake levers do?  My scooter has about 3800 miles.  The dials are on #4. 

Next, how does one reset the trip meter? 

Lastly (for now) It's gonna need a new rear tire pretty quick.  I'd really appreciate suggestions on brands from you guys. 

I've changed many tires on motorcycles, including big chunky knobbys on dirt bikes, but that was in the '70s.  Will regular tire irons do? Any special tools or equipment needed to get wheel off?

Thanks again y'all.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 04:50:28 PM »
Regular tire irons are fine. Wrap them w/ black tape to prevent chipping the powdercoat on the wheel. The change out is plain Jane simple. I have recently purchased Avon Stryker tires, and LOVE them. Michelin is a good performance choice for you also. Bike Bandit . com is my goto shop for tires. Best shipping, best price.. The general thread has a new topic re manuals, and tims will have a service manual for your scoot. also Kymco global has the owners manual to download.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 06:47:28 PM »
"http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/"

...best i've found on tires...free shipping on orders over $75.00

..got my Avon for 44.98 total...with shipping...
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 07:24:13 PM »
"http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/"

...best i've found on tires...free shipping on orders over $75.00

..got my Avon for 44.98 total...with shipping...

Roughly the same price for my Dunlops bought in Crow-atia...
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 10:56:55 PM »
Where is Crow-atia??? Uh Oh! Is that another monkey eating place?  Damn monkey eaters are always trying to sell you pills...

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2010, 12:03:44 AM »
Where is Crow-atia??? Uh Oh! Is that another monkey eating place?  Damn monkey eaters are always trying to sell you pills...

No monkey eaters here. With 23 % VAT, 54 % on your gross salary and 30 % corporate tax, even monkey eaters would starve away...
This is IRS-like people run state.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2010, 12:16:15 AM »
We'll always have Bangladesh...  MMMMmmmmm

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2010, 03:07:40 AM »
I used motorcycle superstore for ordering my tires also.  They had the best prices and I got the free shipping for over $75 deal.  It take 2 weeks to get here, but there were some holidays involves also, so I wasn't too upset.  I do however love my new Avon Viper Stryke tires!  I did install them myself with a few big tire irons and some soap.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()