Author Topic: ok mods are done for now......or are they?  (Read 7725 times)

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
Re: ok mods are done for now......or are they?
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2010, 11:48:27 AM »
the grease monkey at the dealer said that installing the k&n filter would suck alot of trash in because of the clearance from the ground so if i do it i should make sure i can get to it easy what has been your experience?

..grease monkey should stay in tree...
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

Dark13

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2010, 12:21:34 PM »
oh and i was also wondering what is the difference performance wise between

the stock clutch bell and the ncy performance bell

the stock belt and a kevlar one

and finally the stock variator and the golden teflon coated ncy one that is a little bigger diameter

are they really worth it?
proud owner of a 2009 kymco agility 50

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2010, 01:40:08 PM »
oh and i was also wondering what is the difference performance wise between

the stock clutch bell and the ncy performance bell

the stock belt and a kevlar one

and finally the stock variator and the golden teflon coated ncy one that is a little bigger diameter

are they really worth it?

Had kevlar belts on my previous scoots and never saw the difference, except that kevlars are even cheaper than stock. :)
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2010, 04:42:34 PM »
The belt will make no performance gain by it self. A kevlar will last longer than a standard rubber/nylon belt. The clutch bell again is not a performance belt by itself, but can be if added to a quality clutch. It is the clutch pads/springs that do all the work there. Var. weights ARE the ticket to torqueville. Read some of the older posts about them. As a rule of thumb heavier will lower rpms, and get into top range in the cvt faster. Lighter will give more rpms, and keep you in the powerrange of your engine longer. I think shaka likes the 4.5 gr rollers on his Ag.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2010, 07:22:23 PM »
The belt will make no performance gain by it self. A kevlar will last longer than a standard rubber/nylon belt.

Zombie, I respectfully disagree.

I very often heard this opinion on various boards and by various people and it is not correct, quite the opposite.

Kevlar belts will last the same or even less than regular belt. HOWEVER, they will not stretch longitudinally that much and will hold their characteristics even under extreme conditions (heat, higher speed), compared to regular belts. This is why they are recommended for use with enhanced scooters. "Regular" belts tend to stretch in length while they wear out "sideways" and you will notice that when the belt is due for replacement, top speed of the scooter and ability to climb well also diminishes. With kevlars, they will wear out but will not stretch, thus maintaining the scoot's performance.

My personal experience confirms this. I had kevlar belts on my both Piaggio NRGs, Kymco Cobra and Peugeot Zenith and they had to be replaced in regular intervals, just like OEMs.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2010, 11:19:35 PM »
Yeah, That's what I meant. I was just posting quick, to get out the door. A standard belt can last 3-4 years on most scoots. I change my Malossi belt once a year. I have a few of them in the shop as spares. I just haven't gone to the "end" with one. By lasting longer I did mean performance wise. Never gave a thought to "lifetime" of the belt. Same as a car/truck. The cheepo belts will stretch and need adjustment, where a quality belt will not need to be adjusted as often...Just replaced as preventive care. You are one of the best Axy! Your advise is always SPOT ON.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2010, 11:21:26 PM »
...my original belt lasted 30,000 km...almost to the k....til it gave up the ghost...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2010, 02:21:42 AM »
You just reminded me... It's time to change my Avatar! HHHhmmmmm! Where can I get an idea?... Monkeys!!!

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2010, 03:20:12 AM »
I think shaka likes the 4.5 gr rollers on his Ag.
I think that was a typo, you meant Wordslinger.  I'm running 9g Dr. Pulley's in my ZX50.  They work just fine, Next time I replace them I will go with 7.5g though.  I also run a Malossi Kevlar belt, and I did notice a difference right off the bat with the stock variator and clutch.  It seemed to accelerate harder.  I think this was possibly due to less stretch under load, and less slipping.  As for the variator, I think the main difference is going to be the ramping inside is different to give different a more progressive feel during acceleration.  I don't think the teflon coating really has any effect.  I have heard it wears off after awhile.  The larger face may also give you a bit more top speed.  The clutch bell probably won't make any noticeable difference.  The only thing is it may accelerate a little faster because it is most likely lighter, but probably not enough to notice.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2010, 05:08:42 AM »
Yeah as always. Jacka$$ me. I have a new monkey tho! His name is Px. Sorry about Hi=jacking. Anyone want a dogumppy?  They smell like Cinnamon...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2010, 11:35:16 AM »
Yeah as always. Jacka$$ me. I have a new monkey tho! His name is Px. Sorry about Hi=jacking. Anyone want a dogumppy?  They smell like Cinnamon...

..ok...what th hell is a dogumppy ???

??? ??? ??? ???

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2010, 06:47:10 PM »
I give up! Who's there?

Dark13

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2010, 02:33:52 AM »
so what should i get next i got the cdi cut it didn't add anything to my top speed  :( but the speedometer is hitting 50 down hill so that is a plus

so should i get a new variator,belt,clutch or up the jets?

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2010, 02:52:49 AM »
...okay, here's what i found to work for me...

..though, i believe i may have a different carburetor, piston and rings than some other A50s in th' field...

..Malossi variator with 4.7 gr Leo Vince rollers...white "1000" malossi main torque drive spring..(helps maintain higher rpms during a slow-down, and shift's you into a better gear ratio up steep hills)...would like a "1500"...

..free-flow air filter with whatever jet keeps ur scoot running not lean...but almost a little bit lean...i thinks it's faster...

..i'd state my main jet size...but i ain't going to open that can of worms again...

..red +50 Leo Vince fly clutch springs.. for a revving good take-off...

..gotta have a drive belt in good condition...

..gotta have a GOOD set of tires with a high run speed rating...(there's a technical term for that)..my new Avons are ratd at 110 mph..

..gotta keep ur oil changed often, and on broken-in A50's, i'd recommend a good synthetic oil...(resists thermal breakdown better than dino-fluids)...

...keep you scoot's valves adjusted to .04mm on the intake and .03mm on th exhaust...

..that adjustment, and changing your oil often, are crucial to your scoot's overall performance and longevity...

peace

..just my own observations and experience...

;D
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 02:56:21 AM by wordslinger »

Dark13

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2010, 03:03:37 AM »
thanks im already running 5 gram rollers and i tried a stiffer torque spring and i wouldn't get any speed

i tried changing the clutch springs but could figure out how

also how do you know if you have it idled right?

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()