Author Topic: ok mods are done for now......or are they?  (Read 7746 times)

Dark13

• View Profile
ok mods are done for now......or are they?
« on: February 10, 2010, 01:49:02 AM »
OK after just under a year of owning my scoot i have changed out the stock rollers for 5 grams and removed the spacer and I'm amazed that its running 37mph (according to the people that have followed me) and now I'm thinking of doing other things to improve the performance

so I'm wondering what should i do next? up the carb jets, mod the cdi, new exhaust/intake

or should i leave it be?
proud owner of a 2009 kymco agility 50

Shaka

• View Profile
Re: ok mods are done for now......or are they?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 01:55:40 AM »
Doesn't sound like you're done to me!  Should be able to get some more easy speed out of it!  Have you de-restricted the CDI?  Next step would be to upjet the carb with a free flow filter.  You should be able to get another fairly easy 10mph out of it!

Dark13

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 02:02:56 AM »
do you know of a cheap place to get a stock cdi i would like to have a back up just in case

and if i up the carb will i have to change the air filter or will the stock work?

oh and whats this K&N free flow air filter i keep hearing about
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 02:04:47 AM by Dark13 »

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 02:31:09 AM »
Not sure of a cheap oem CDI.  Stadium Yamaha has excellent reviews around as an oem parts supplier and 10% below MSRP!  If you're going that route, you may as well just get a re-programmed CDI.  Suitai is the oem manufacturer of Kymco CDI's.  Zombie has purchased through them directly.  There are many posts on here about them.  Honestly, I would just cut the one you have.  If you somehow manage to mess it up, the worst that could happen is you need to buy a new one anyways! 

As for the carb, there is no reason to change the settings with the stock set-up.  You would just be running too rich!  The point of up-jetting is to accommodate the added air the K&N filter provides.  If you look at my avatar, that is a pic of my carb with a K&N filter attached.

Dark13

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 02:48:42 AM »
>_> hypothetical question what would/should you do if you snap off one of the bolts that hold the cvt cover on?  >_>..........not that happened or anything..........<_<

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 03:00:29 AM »
Many of the bolts holes run all the way through.  They should be real easy to drill out from the back and use an ez out if needed.  I wouldn't worry too much about it, there are plenty of other bolts to hold things in place.  It would be one of those "Oh $h*t" moments, but I'd probably leave it till I got real motivated to remove it.  I have run my Vento with only 3 bolts in it and it worked just fine.  It only had 3 when I got it.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 04:00:28 AM »
I didn't see this thread till now. Dark, You can buy a left twist drill bit to remove the broken stud. ( if it really happened) You know how a drill bit catches, and stalls a drill? Well a reverse bit will catch, and spin out a broken bolt. Use a punch to center your bit, and it will come right out.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Kimcofan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 11:15:07 PM »
You have a few things to do, but easy peasy there are great people on this forum to help you through it!  Good luck and keep us posted!!

Urbestfriend

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 11:39:05 PM »
Urbestfriend repeats:  "Any screws you remove" especially Phillips type.
Go to the Hardware and buy replacements with Allen Heads.  Most Hardwares
have a section with drawer after drawer of nuts, bolts, washers,  you name it,
both SAE and Metric.   It's not that expensive and sure makes things easier.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2010, 11:51:21 PM »
Excellent advice. I would also add lock washers.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Dark13

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 01:22:50 AM »
OK my dealer said he would cut the cdi for free

so what should be next?

oh and something i want to mention before i get anymore suggestions my scoot is my only means of transportation at the moment that's why I'm so cautious

« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 01:25:12 AM by Dark13 »

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 01:41:44 AM »
That's great you convinced your dealer to make the cut!  I hear ya on the scoot as your only means of transportation!  Mine as well!  I did buy a back up, just in case though.  The next thing to do is probably get a K&N air filter and a selection of a few larger main jets.  Oh yeah, and a few extra spark plugs to do plug chops to get your jets dialed in!  I think Wordslinger has the model # of the filter he ordered somewhere on here.  You can order directly from http://www.knfilters.com.  The filter you want is listed under universal cone filters.  There is a whole list of all the different sizes there.  Your dealer sounds pretty helpful, they may be able to get you the larger main jets.

Dark13

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2010, 01:49:21 AM »
the grease monkey at the dealer said that installing the k&n filter would suck alot of trash in because of the clearance from the ground so if i do it i should make sure i can get to it easy what has been your experience?

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2010, 03:01:49 AM »
Mine has been great!  I've had it installed for about 6-7 months and have not had to clean it.  It is dirty looking, but the K&N's don't really loose any flow when they are dirty.  Plus, they are pretty easy to clean!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2010, 04:04:06 AM »
Ive had mine for 2+ years, with no problems at all. There are only benefits from better air flow to the cylinder. You should see another 3-5 mph from that alone. I also have an 82 nc/50 engine mounted to a West Coast Choppers bicycle frame that is running a velocity stack. On that one I use a piece of stainless steel screen. It keeps the birds out.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()