Author Topic: new (to me) 500  (Read 5652 times)

Hoolander2

• View Profile
Re: new (to me) 500
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2010, 05:19:39 AM »
Hope I'm not wearing this out but I'm just so happy and proud! :)  Here she is waxed and winshield lowered.

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2010, 05:28:15 AM »
That's the same shop where my People 250 was bought new, by the original owner (just prior to me).

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2010, 05:53:05 AM »
Cool.  Something in common. 

I can't get my dang air cleaner out to check it.  I pull with all my might and it doesn't budge.  Will keep trying.

Also think the idle is set too low -- right at 1000 rpm.  Book says 1400.  The starter is beginning to seem a little weak so I had local battery shop check things.  They say the battery itself checks good even under load.  Voltage goes up nicely when rev the motor but at idle there's nothing but the battery voltage.  Gonna try to up the idle speed and see if that heps. Got multi-meter to troubleshoot if I need to.

The first owner had undercarriage lighting all over this thing.  Still on it but not working.   

What kinda work would you be looking for, Jprestonian? 

Got to go check out your blog after this. 

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2010, 07:27:53 AM »
I just noticed the Euro Blinkers! Very sharp. When you bring up the idle it will help to get the stator running the show.For the starter I would get into the plastics, and check the +12v, and the ground connections. Nothing will burn a starter out faster than a loose or dirty connection. Check the batt term, the solenoid connections, and at the starter itself. Did you get a service manual yet? I believe there is one under the general section in service man links. I would also change the lisc plate frame to on that says Harleys $uck! (gas)   The air box is held in place w/ a few 10mm bolts. this may help...    http://www.stadiumyamaha.com/pages/parts/viewbybrand/default.aspx
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

jprestonian

• View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2010, 05:54:30 PM »
Hoo, I'd take any work I could get, right now. It has to be in Nashville, though -- moving's not an option. But I have done a lot of IT stuff, generally-speaking. Building and maintaining web sites, mainly, but some operations and networking experience, tech support, etc.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2010, 06:09:19 PM »
Hey Jpres. Have you put a resume in at Sea Ray? Oddly Enough I have an opportunity to work in their Palm Coast plant, and saw they are Headquartered in Nashville. Big company=possibilities!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2010, 06:31:20 PM »
Zombie, yes, thanks to you I did get both owner's and service manuals downloaded. 

I took out the 6 bolts holding the air cleaner's little cover and the manual says it should then pull right out.  Danged if I can make it move, though.  Going out in a while to try again.  Don't want to pry or break anything. 

Euro blinkers, huh?  That's news to me.  Wonder where the std USA blinkers were?  Am I legal, you think? 

When I first turn the key to start position, I sometimes hear a series of 4 or 5 clicks somewhere under the plastic. Doesn't always do it. 

jprestonian

• View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2010, 07:17:14 PM »
Hey Jpres. Have you put a resume in at Sea Ray? Oddly Enough I have an opportunity to work in their Palm Coast plant, and saw they are Headquartered in Nashville. Big company=possibilities!
No, but I will. Unfortunately, their web site doesn't have a careers section, so dunno if they're hiring. I'll see what I can find out.

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2010, 10:27:46 PM »
I got the air cleaner out, finally.  Had to grab it with PLIERS and pull like h_ll and even then only came out very slowly -- like 3 or 4 minutes of moving a milimeter per pull --switching sides --hanging on all the way out!  Looked fairly ok.  Putting it back in was totally impossible till I smeared vasoline lightly around it's gasket and even THEN took a LONG time to coax it in.  Ha!  Well, at least I know it's sealed good. 

Found an add-on wire on the pos battery terminal which broke off as I handled it.  Guess it went to the undercarriage lighting.  Think I'll be taking all that off, though it would be nice to see what it looked like with it lit up.  The lighting is in the form of LEDs.  Two units of about 8 LEDs each under rear fender, and at rear motor mount area, on radiator, and two strips under motor for a total of, say, 64.   Maybe more that I haven't seen yet.  Am told they're all orange LEDs.

Also got the idle speed increased.  Didn't take voltage reading at idle yet but will soon. It hasn't failed to start yet but it has been a little tempermental a few times, randomly. Sometimes on the first push of the starter button it just doesn't turn the motor over, like it's too weak. Sounds like it might turn the motor a quarter of a revolution and gives up.  Might do this a time or two then next try it turns over and fires up. 
No riding last few days as it's been too cold for me and I'm a worried I might get stranded somewhere with this starting/battery issue. Maybe it's nothing, who knows.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2010, 10:54:33 PM »
Sounds like a faulty/loose connection. Sometimes the solenoid will act that way also. I'd go for the wiring first. The led's should be tested one at a time to be sure they are good, and I would also re-wire the entire set up as the first wire you found to them fell off. Heat shrink crimp connectors are what I prefer to use on all wiring jobs. They are water proof, and permanent.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()