Author Topic: newly bought zx50 might have lighting problems?  (Read 10210 times)

jmichaelwillard

• View Profile
newly bought zx50 might have lighting problems?
« on: February 15, 2010, 08:43:32 PM »
I just bought a zx50 that was souped up with alot of after market items.  The dealer told me that there was only one level of headlight (not hi and lo) but I noticed that there IS a place for lo beams.  I also noticed that all of the other lights (licence plate, body turn signals, and back body running lights) are not working.  Before I tear the plastic off of this scooter, does anyone know of a reason why all of these lights might be off at once?

thebatman

• The Bat lives on... like the fkn Energizer Bunny
    • View Profile
Re: newly bought zx50 might have lighting problems?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 08:55:50 PM »
dude, im having the same issue..my head light, tail lights, running light,license light dont work.. was told several things..i changed my stator, no good, changed voltage reg, no good, changed bulbs..if i find out, ill let you in on it.. i need the information myself....
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:
"A goal without a plan is just a dream"......

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 09:47:42 PM »
If they are all out I would think it is a ground problem. there is a green wire with a ring terminal that mounts to the starter bolt. Check that for tightness. There is also a 10 amp fuse on the front of the battery box. That is for your accessories.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 11:26:33 PM »
There is also no high beam/low beam, only on.  There are two settings on the switch.  The first one turns on the running lights, the second one turns on the headlight and turns off the front running lights (either side of the headlight).  The yellow lights on the front fairing are the "euro" turn signals which are not wired up on the US version, same with the small rear yellow ones just below the tail light.  I removed my stalks on the rear and just switched the harness plug to the "euro" turn signals in the rear, the harness was already there.  There is no front harness in place for the front fairing "euro" turn signals on mine though, so I haven't gotten around to hooking those up yet.

thebatman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 01:32:00 AM »
right, mine has no front yellow lights, just the cover. BUT mine has the wires,bulbs for the rear yellow markers..the light side has 3wires, the wire from factory wiring has one green they plug into each other. that seemed odd, either the hot or ground was missing from the plug.
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 01:41:23 AM »
Mine has the factory wiring and bulbs for the rear "euro" signals, just not the front ones.  I'm not sure off hand about what wires are in the harness, but I just disconnected the plug from the stalk signals and plugged it into the "euro" signals and they worked just fine!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 01:43:31 AM »
There are 2 hots, and one ground back there. the hots are for left, and right turn and the ground is common to both. The plug that goes to them is the same plug as the stalk blinkers. Just swap the plugs, and you have the built in's working.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

thebatman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 02:15:16 AM »
the stalk blinker??? you mean the actuall signal that pertrudes out on all 4's??..lmao. check this, my turn signals,brake lights,FRONT white running lights work...no head light,tail, rear yellows..
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 02:23:58 AM »
Yeah the rear turn signal lights. The plug from them will go to the yellow lights plug. These are not hooked up on bikes meant for the US. Your headlight is MOST likely the bulb. Lots of us have changed out the bulb for something brighter, and easier to get replacement bulbs for. I used a 35 watt hallogen fog lamp bulb, and socket. Just don't go any bigger than 35 watt because your stator cannot support anything larger. Have you tried wd-40 in the light switches? Could be that simple.

thebatman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 02:30:43 AM »
the bulb looks good on headlight tho.. tail light tho, brake lights work, crrrazzzy.. wd-40, no,hadnt never tried that
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 05:24:21 AM »
It's worth a shot. May just be dirty contacts

jmichaelwillard

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 07:42:35 AM »
WHOA! You people are awesome.  I didn't know that there was a Euro wiring and a US Wiring.  You just saved me HOURS of work because I was about to pull all the plastic off and trace all the wiring!  Just one question though...would this US wiring thing explain why i don't have a licence plate light, or a speedometer light?  Or is that probably just the bulbs?

thebatman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2010, 02:56:58 PM »
my lincense light isnt working either, but im pretty sure there isnt a speedo light, just glow from head,running lights.
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2010, 03:08:01 PM »
There are speedo lights!  There are two small bulbs that plug into the back of the unit.  I'm not sure on the license plate light, I'll have to look at mine.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2010, 02:00:00 AM »
It's BULBS DUDES!    Those two wire at the end thingies...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()