Author Topic: Courtesy light in luggage compartment? '06 Grandvista 250  (Read 5856 times)

shawgb

• View Profile
Courtesy light in luggage compartment? '06 Grandvista 250
« on: February 17, 2010, 02:46:27 AM »
I have a 2006 Grandvista 250, bought used in 2008 with like 2500 miles. I now have around 3000 miles. Believe it or don't, but I at least feel like I ride it all the time (and can, most of the year here in Dallas...), but it's ALWAYS for short trips.

Anyway - when I bought it, I noticed in the under-seat luggage compartment, there was what looked to be the cover of a light along the side and near the top - an obvious place to put a "courtesy" lamp. I was curious that this light didn't work - and my initial reaction was to look for a switch that should activate it when the seat is open. I couldn't find ANYTHING remotely looking like some kinda switch. Okaaayy. So maybe it's some hidden switch.

For my next trick, I pried the thing outta the socket, and it came out intact with wires leading inside the chassis. Now I seperated the lens from the assembly - and SURE ENOUGH - there appeared a socket (the plug-in kind, not the screw in kind...) but no bulb. Eureka! THAT'S why it doesn't work!
I emailed my local Kymco dealer, asking what type bulb this called for. He said he wasn't aware of any such courtesy light in the luggage compartments of a GV 250 - but he'd check it out and get back to me.

Yep, he emailed back - they happened to have an '06 on the lot and he checked it himself and saw the very same light (or at least, light assembly...) I was referring to. What was strange was that not only was this apparently new to him, he told me their service manuals made no mention of any light supposed to BE there! Even so - he got his service manager to look at it - and they thought they worked out what bulb should be there - it was a yamaha bulb.

I still haven't had my GV in for service, but I'm about to - and plan to have them put this bulb in this "mystery socket".

I've searched this and other Kymco forums for postings asking about this mystery bulb - but have yet to find ONE.

Assuming we've found the correct bulb for this mystery socket, I still don't know if it's even meant to HAVE a bulb - or if there's a switch that turns it on automatically or not.

But my biggest mystery of all...AM I THE ONLY GV 250 OWNER THAT HAS THIS FEATURE? If not - how is it POSSIBLE THAT I'M THE ONLY PERSON TO POST ABOUT THIS ON SEVERAL KYMCO BOARDS??? I'm just so confused...

Any insight would be HUGELY appreciated!
Thank you!!!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 12:50:21 AM by shawgb »

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Courtesy light in luggage compartment?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 03:50:16 AM »
What it is , is a helmet sitter. It is the opposite of a refrig. When you close the seat W/ your helmet inside the 4 watt Yamabulb (as it is more commonly known) will keep your helmet warm. Not too many dealers are privy to this feature as most customers would say WWWWAAAAAAA!  If it works when the dealer finishes w/ it all the better... Hey PLEASE post a link to some of those other forums for us. I would like to see what else I am missing! Just so you KNOW i am only kidding, I think you could change that socket to most any purpose you need. Phone charge, ect...
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

shawgb

• View Profile
Re: Courtesy light in luggage compartment?
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 12:49:40 AM »
Dang - you had me fooled as I started to read your reply...I thought I was FINALLY gonna get some insight into this life-mystery of mine!

Still waiting...anyone? Please?

Here's the link to another Kymco forum I know of - but I must say, this one is MUCH better...much more organized and user-friendly. I'm not a member of this forum - but here 'tis: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kymcoscooterforum/

Shaka

• View Profile
Re: Courtesy light in luggage compartment? '06 Grandvista 250
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 01:01:38 AM »
I was curious so I checked out Stadium Yamaha's blow-apart parts diagram.  http://www.stadiumyamaha.com/pages/parts/viewbybrand/73/Kymco.aspx.  They do show the light, listed as light assy. luggage box.  It appears you're not the only one to have one.

shawgb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 01:22:24 AM »
Holy Balls - you're right Shaka!

Now - do you see any provision for a switch to turn the dang lite on and off? I'd think it would be in that same schematic - but I don't see it...do you?

Lordy - I hafta wonder why this has been so mysterious...

FYI - the link you posted didn't work for me...you gotta go to stadiumyamaha.com, then "buy Kymco parts", input Grandvista 250 then change "change assembly" to "body cover & luggage box". EXCELLENT resource! Thank you for sharing this...

NOW we're gettin' somewhere!

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 01:30:17 AM »
I don't see a switch, my guess is that it is on all the time, or possible tied in to the running lights.  If you have a voltmeter you should be able to check it without the bulb.  Otherwise, try downloading a service manual and checking the wiring schematic to see how it is wired up.

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 01:36:53 AM »
If it's like the P250 (and I bet it is), the switch is in the latch at the back. With it open, you can use a small screwdriver to push the latch down, and the light (and the dash panel MET-IN light, if the GV has one) will go off. Do the push-twist of the key to pop the latch back up, which closes the switch (and lets you re-latch your seat again).

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 01:44:09 AM »
Jprest-  I think you are correct.  In the diagram it looks like there is a switch in the seat latch.  There is a wire labeled, stop switch along side the latch assembly.

shawgb

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 01:57:10 AM »
Wowie -

I'm seriously thankful to all of you that replied! This was a goofy yet highly VEXING issue I couldn't get resolution for - till now!

Yes, it makes sense this lamp would be controlled by the same switch that tells the "dashboard" display that the trunk is open!

See...? It just doesn't take that much to make me happy...I'm a simple man. (A simple man that freakin' LOVES his Kymco Grandvista 250 scooter...!)

I'm SO glad I found and joined this forum. I'll never futz with any other such forums - this one's the BEST!

Thanks again -

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 02:45:03 AM »
Glad you're happy bro! I visited the link you posted about 2 years ago, and not much has changed. There is a much better community here. Your enthusiasm speaks volumes toward that!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 03:37:26 AM »
I'm glad we were able to help! ;)

edgardodelgado

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2010, 12:58:37 PM »
Hi, I got a GV 250 too and want to know where can find the speedometer cable and the Gear Box Assy

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile

scooterman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2010, 04:07:48 AM »
IN the 08 Gv250 the light comes on when the compartment is open . It sounds like they put it in but didn't finish the job in the 06 I betcha they finish it in the 07

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()