Author Topic: Slider Weight question  (Read 3555 times)

shermanfunk

• '09 Agility 50
    • View Profile
Slider Weight question
« on: March 03, 2010, 11:17:10 PM »
Ok, so I got 5.5 gram Dr. Pulley slider weights and put them in today and went for a ride. Only noticed a slight difference in take off. Acceleration was a little better, but not noticably $40 better after purchase and shipping. Is there some tuning involved that can make a difference?

thnx

Shaka

• View Profile
Re: Slider Weight question
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 12:01:04 AM »
The only tuning is via weight.  The real difference is in the wear!  They should pay for themselves with longevity!  The small performance improvement won't "drop off"  over time, like with round rollers either.  $40 does sound a little steep too!  I think I got mine for $20.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 08:21:18 AM »
The only tuning is via weight.  The real difference is in the wear!  They should pay for themselves with longevity!  The small performance improvement won't "drop off"  over time, like with round rollers either.  $40 does sound a little steep too!  I think I got mine for $20.

I never fully understood this slider story. Can they without problems replace stock roller weights? They look "larger", so my real question is - do they fit without problems in the variator?
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 11:49:55 AM »

..sherman, is your A50 engine stock?

..if so, i've found that 4.7g is a balanced weight that my scoot just loves...imma even try some 4.5s when the time comes for a change..

..shaka..do they really not wear like rollers??..causing the pulleys not to come as close together???
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

shermanfunk

• '09 Agility 50
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 08:56:32 PM »
the engine is stock, but has now been rebuilt after an oil pump gear failure. Also: new gaster crankcase, oil seal, cylinder head gasket, gasket cam chain adjuster, crankshaft, piston, ring piston set, piston pin clips, gasket r. cover, oil seal, 1 gear, and oil pump driver.
whew!  (All covered under warranty, thanks Kiser Motorcycles!)
Runs pretty good now.

As I drove it more yesterday, it seemed like it got a little snappier up some hills. I hit 50 mph pretty easily on a few hills going down, put didn't want to push it too hard yet. I really didn't feel like pushing a broken down scooter for miles again. It has had a little trouble starting a few times since i got it back, so I rode it until it was out of gas and refilled with Ethanol Free gas... to be continued

thanks for the replies!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 09:56:07 PM »
Hey axy, I don't want to hi-jack these guys but the sliders are bigger. The idea is to close the var quicker, and more completely. The wedge shape takes a different approach to the same end result, and from what I have seen it actually performs better, and lasts longer because the shape is molded to the var ramp. An engineer would say it is common sense! Rollers will develop flat spots, where sliders have them built in. Too bad there is such an established roller market.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

shermanfunk

• '09 Agility 50
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 10:38:23 PM »
no hi-jack here, i was wondering the same thing, thanks for the info, and very well explained by the way.

cheers,

/s

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 10:55:08 PM »
Hey axy, I don't want to hi-jack these guys but the sliders are bigger. The idea is to close the var quicker, and more completely. The wedge shape takes a different approach to the same end result, and from what I have seen it actually performs better, and lasts longer because the shape is molded to the var ramp. An engineer would say it is common sense! Rollers will develop flat spots, where sliders have them built in. Too bad there is such an established roller market.

But I do not need to modify anything? Just buy sliders and put them instead of roller weights?
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 11:52:45 PM »
Like Zombie said, they already have a flat spot with an angle to match the vario ramp plate.  I've got probably 8,000 kms on mine with minimal visible wear!  Nothing needs to be modified to use them, they just drop right in just like the rollers would, you do have to make sure they are oriented correctly though!

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010, 09:39:23 AM »
Like Zombie said, they already have a flat spot with an angle to match the vario ramp plate.  I've got probably 8,000 kms on mine with minimal visible wear!  Nothing needs to be modified to use them, they just drop right in just like the rollers would, you do have to make sure they are oriented correctly though!

I started liking this idea. I have one more set of rollers for A125 and I am thinking to get these babies.
I have two more sets for P250S.
The only problem is that most online places do not ship to my country. I hope I will be able to find somebody willing to buy them for me and mail to Croatia (of course, I would front the money via PayPal).
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2010, 06:00:15 PM »
That would be no trouble at all! if you want to get them either email or pm me. Shaka has a good source, and you could ship them here, and I'd be happy to forward them to you. What is happening to Global Economy?
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2010, 07:18:47 PM »
That would be no trouble at all! if you want to get them either email or pm me. Shaka has a good source, and you could ship them here, and I'd be happy to forward them to you. What is happening to Global Economy?

Excellent, thanks, I'll keep that in mind.  ;)
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2010, 12:05:54 AM »
Either way Axy, I've got no problem throwing some rollers in a box and stopping by the post office, or just take them to work for that matter!  I've seen most sizes and weights going for around $30 in my browsings.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2010, 04:55:41 AM »
That's what I'm talki'n about brothers! Touch the screen, and say Amen<>

shermanfunk

• '09 Agility 50
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2010, 06:34:48 AM »
But I do not need to modify anything? Just buy sliders and put them instead of roller weights?

I had to use a reference online for which way they sat in the variator, I used this: http://www.scootdawg.com/downloads/DrPulleyVariator.pdf

once you see how they sit inside it all makes sense as to the common sense of the design. . .

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()