Author Topic: Performance carb/jets  (Read 9696 times)

cygnusx8

• View Profile
Performance carb/jets
« on: March 06, 2010, 07:34:52 PM »
I'm looking for a set of jets and/or performance carb for my 2002 People 50. Where can I get them? Thanks.

juice

• View Profile
Re: Performance carb/jets
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 10:06:41 PM »
Just curious , my 2001 stock people 50 will go past the 80 kph limit on the speedometer , how fast does yours go now ? Thanks .

cygnusx8

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 06:28:54 AM »
Don't know exactly. It's not 100% just yet. Just installed a new reed valve but may have to mess with jetting as I have a brand new stock carb with Technigas exhaust. It runs well but have issues idling. Will let you know the top speed once I get it running well which would be faster if you point me to the right website   :)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 03:33:25 PM »
Which model carb. do you have? W/ the technigas pipe you will need to go up a few sizes on the main, and adjust the idle mix screw a little richer. There are LOTS of aftermarket carbs, but 99% of the time the stock works just as well w/ the correct jets. I have posted before it is just as easy to use torch tip cleaners to open the stock jets. Saves a few bucks, and a lot of time. Micro drills will also do the job.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

cygnusx8

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 03:33:16 AM »
Ideally I would prefer to keep the stock carb and just swap the jets since it's a new carb and I don't really want to spend more money on a performance carb. Did you post instructions on this forum?

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 03:59:26 AM »
You need to figure out which carb you have.  There should be a name on it, something like Keihin.  You may want to pull out your current main jet also and see what size it is.  The size should be printed on the side of the jet.  That will also give you a good visual of  exactly what jet you are looking for.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 09:32:43 PM »
Here's one of the posts takling about opening the jets. Use keywords in the search on the top right, and there are years w/ of posts to pick thru. You will need the thread size also when /if you order jets. Post what you have, and someone here will give you a good source
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

dreflu

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 01:50:17 PM »
how many sizes is it safe to go up on the jets? i'm going to get some torch tip cleaners today. i was wondering if i just went up one size would it make any difference. or should i go 2 sizes?

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 02:38:57 PM »
Up-jetting will only make you run rich if you don't change the air filter or exhaust!  You won't get any performance increase actually the opposite by just increasing the main jet size.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 08:24:37 PM »

dreflu

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 07:07:40 PM »
i looked at that thread and i'm sorry if i missed something but i dont see how much is safe to open it up. i just ordered a pipe so i'm pretty sure i'll have to play with the carb. i'm trying to join the fast 50cc club! help me out! might even go 70cc!!!! i like playing with these scooters. and buyin a fast 150 just takes the fun out of it.

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2010, 07:38:31 PM »
I gave up on trying to "open up" the jets myself after I broke the bit off in my pilot jet.  I pretty much have a full set of jets at this point!  I would say if you're going to drill the jet out, only go one size up at a time.  Just find the bit that fits in the jet and go to the next size up.  I just gave up on messing with them and ordered some from Provoscooter.  For me tuning is enough of a headache without trying to add in additional errors!  Thus, the reason why I'm not at work right now!  Torrential rain yesterday apparently got water in my engine!  It's all good now, but took me 3 hrs this morning pulling everything apart!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2010, 10:10:56 PM »
What he said! Torch tip cleaners are easier for me. They don't break. Just go 1 size at a time until you get a good clean run, and check the plug. There will be a point where it will sound good but most likely still be lean so be CAREFULL, and go 1 step over that. Put your pipe on, and open the jet 1 size/adjust the idle mix slightly on the rich side, and test run.

dreflu

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2010, 12:59:20 PM »
torch tip cleaners work and are easy to use. thanks zombie. i went up one size, would it be safe to go up one more? i'm not getting anymore top end from the pipe. i saw on another post 5 on the main and 1-2 on the pilot. i'm gonna try it and let u know
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 01:02:48 PM by dreflu »

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2010, 03:31:32 PM »
i looked at that thread and i'm sorry if i missed something but i dont see how much is safe to open it up. i just ordered a pipe so i'm pretty sure i'll have to play with the carb. i'm trying to join the fast 50cc club! help me out! might even go 70cc!!!! i like playing with these scooters. and buyin a fast 150 just takes the fun out of it.

..preach it brother!!!

..can I get an "amen"?

;D
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()