Author Topic: Performance carb/jets  (Read 9693 times)

dreflu

• View Profile
Re: Performance carb/jets
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2010, 04:02:37 PM »
amen!!! now can i get some more help!!! lol. all i need is top end. i haven't opened the jets anymore yet. just that one size. waitin for an op. will a new air filter help?

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2010, 04:04:26 PM »
..do you still have the stock air filter on your scoot?
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

dreflu

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2010, 04:25:52 PM »
im afraid so

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2010, 04:31:39 PM »
...then, yes!!..a free-flow air filter will surely help overall performance..

..it will also magnify a lean mixture condition..which it sounds like you might have...

..i'd suggest opening that main jet some more...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2010, 04:36:50 PM »
It's no problem to keep opening the jet. If you go too far a drop of solder will close it back up. then you can go back to where it worked well for you. Which pipe did you get? Have you looked at the plug after a quick (60second or so) run? You will want an even coffee/tan color too the plug. Darker is better for the most part. You won't see tooo much gain untill you also open up or replace the air box. the pipe will get it all out, and you need to get it in first. You should however see a few mph at the top, and a bit more pull getting there once you get the jet nailed down. It's a bit of trial, and error for now.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2010, 04:37:25 PM »
To really get the full potential out of the pipe you need to open up the air filter.  That is your main point of restriction now!  I have a Techingas on my Vento with the stock airbox and no re-jetting.  I can't really speak from experience, it didn't have any exhaust before, but it's definitely not a screamer like my ZX!  I also haven't done any plug chops on it either, so just the pipe may require a larger jet.  I haven't had much time to work it.  Dre, at this point you probably need to do a plug chop and see where your mix at.  If you plan on getting an air filter, now is the time to do it to save a little time on tuning.  With the air filter you will have to re-jet again and more plug chops.  The key is not to run lean!

dreflu

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2010, 04:39:40 PM »
tecnigas next r. how do i open up the stock air filter? i can safely go up one more jet size? im the worst  with solder
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 04:41:15 PM by dreflu »

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2010, 04:41:36 PM »
You need to ditch the stock air box and run a straight K&N type filter.  Not sure if you can "safely" go up one more jet size.  That's where the plug chop comes in!

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2010, 04:42:06 PM »
..if you've only went up one size so far, i'd bet you could go a nother
..what my 2T fwends think about that??

..i'm listening because i'm contemplating that spiffy technigas pipe......................

dreflu

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2010, 04:45:17 PM »
You need to ditch the stock air box and run a straight K&N type filter.  Not sure if you can "safely" go up one more jet size.  That's where the plug chop comes in!

where did u get the air filter in your avitar? i want one like that ;D

dreflu

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2010, 04:46:52 PM »
should i wait til after i get the air filter before i open up the main jet one more size? or will i have to open it up at least 1 moer anyway?

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2010, 04:48:41 PM »
Well if dre is running an 80ish jet stock, each tip cleaner is approx +2. I would say to get around 87-92 for just the pipe. Don't use the math I just put down cause I have no way of knowing how your cleaners run sizes, but the "goal #'s " should be correct.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2010, 04:49:55 PM »
I ordered it from K&N directly through their website.  It was only like $25 w/ shipping.  If you go on their website and look under universal filters they have all the dimensions.  You just need to measure your carb flange and see how much available clearance you have around it.

dreflu

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2010, 04:51:01 PM »
Well if dre is running an 80ish jet stock, each tip cleaner is approx +2. I would say to get around 87-92 for just the pipe. Don't use the math I just put down cause I have no way of knowing how your cleaners run sizes, but the "goal #'s " should be correct.
[/quote

so 1 more size should be ok then right?

dreflu

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2010, 04:51:54 PM »
I ordered it from K&N directly through their website.  It was only like $25 w/ shipping.  If you go on their website and look under universal filters they have all the dimensions.  You just need to measure your carb flange and see how much available clearance you have around it.

o boy me and measuring. lol

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()