Author Topic: Performance carb/jets  (Read 9697 times)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Performance carb/jets
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2010, 04:58:03 PM »
It's like ping pong up in here! Forgot to say It will be ok to tune to the pipe if you just want to scoot. When you do change out the box you will have to open the jet a little more, but you will have an ear for it by then, and it will go much faster. I can generally set the carb. w/ three attempts. First to get a ball park idea (rich-lean) second to find the other limit, and third to tweak it. The more you work at it the easier it becomes. Plug chops are the key. once you think you are running pretty good, get 3-4 new plugs, and do a few runs to verify. Even an EXPERT ENGINE BUILDER would not run an engine w/out a few chops to verify the cyl. temp
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

dreflu

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2010, 05:03:21 PM »
It's like ping pong up in here! Forgot to say It will be ok to tune to the pipe if you just want to scoot. When you do change out the box you will have to open the jet a little more, but you will have an ear for it by then, and it will go much faster. I can generally set the carb. w/ three attempts. First to get a ball park idea (rich-lean) second to find the other limit, and third to tweak it. The more you work at it the easier it becomes. Plug chops are the key. once you think you are running pretty good, get 3-4 new plugs, and do a few runs to verify. Even an EXPERT ENGINE BUILDER would not run an engine w/out a few chops to verify the cyl. temp

sorry bout that. just wanted to make sure i could go 1 more. gonna go try that now. im not sure if i'm gonna buy jets or just get a bigger carb. i'mtrying to see what i got before spending any more money

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2010, 05:09:38 PM »
No apologies Bro! We all agree it sounds like you should keep going up. If/when you get a larger carb. the jetting will still have to be done. You will only need a larger carb. if you go w/ a bigger jug kit. Buying a few diff. jets will make it easier for for some. I just got tired of looking for a jet for this or that  carb., and started cutting/soldering them.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

dreflu

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2010, 06:00:04 PM »
i went up 1 size. on the first run i tried it without the air filter. it would get to about 20-25 and nearly cut off. so i came back and put the filter box back on and when i get to 20-25 it studders. have i gone to large or can i adjust the mix screw?

dreflu

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2010, 06:23:24 PM »
i have yet another stupid question. do rollers come with the pipe? i was looking in the left over bolts and found a bag. they look like the rollers i bought. they weight 6.1 grams. is this a good weight for my set up?

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2010, 06:26:10 PM »
It does sound like you may have gone too big.  The mix screw will have no effect on WOT.  It only adjusts idle to about 1/8 throttle.  Sounds like it might be time to try your hand at soldering.  The Technigas pipes do come with 6g rollers.  You might want to give them a try.  If they don't help take them out.  6g is too light in mine.

dreflu

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2010, 06:30:54 PM »
It does sound like you may have gone too big.  The mix screw will have no effect on WOT.  It only adjusts idle to about 1/8 throttle.  Sounds like it might be time to try your hand at soldering.  The Technigas pipes do come with 6g rollers.  You might want to give them a try.  If they don't help take them out.  6g is too light in mine.

time to buy jets! lol the ones i saw on provo dont look like the one i have tho

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2010, 06:31:26 PM »
..dreflu, what are you using to open ur jet...you say "sizes"...

..a 85 jet is .85mm in diameter..or roughly .033 inch...

..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2010, 06:33:03 PM »
Some carbs are also sized by flow, depends on the manufacturer.  Something like how many cc's per min.  Dre, your carb should be labeled as to what manufacturer on the side.  Keihin is a common one.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2010, 06:38:24 PM »
Some carbs are also sized by flow, depends on the manufacturer.  Something like how many cc's per min.  Dre, your carb should be labeled as to what manufacturer on the side.  Keihin is a common one.

..yeah, that is a dang 2t...lol..

;)
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

dreflu

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2010, 07:21:32 PM »
Some carbs are also sized by flow, depends on the manufacturer.  Something like how many cc's per min.  Dre, your carb should be labeled as to what manufacturer on the side.  Keihin is a common one.

its a keihin.

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2010, 09:12:15 PM »
Here's a jet list for Keihin.  Not sure if that helps any.  Here's another link http://www.jiangwayne.com/scooter/p_tags.php?t=4&p=3.  You may also want to check with a local shop to see if they have them, or can get them quickly.  Those jets are pretty common.

dreflu

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2010, 09:49:06 PM »
thanks shaka. i just get the kit and it will have the sizes i need?

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2010, 10:25:49 PM »
I actually tried to post another link also, but it wasn't that good anyways.  I see that Jiange Wayne does kits of 4 jets. If you started at 85 then you probably need the 88,90,92,95.  You may want to check around and see if anyone sells a kit.  Also, contact Jiange Wayne and see how long it will take to receive them.  I know Zombie has been waiting for almost a month for his rear shock!  I would also try getting them locally first. 

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2010, 10:36:37 PM »
What He Said.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()