Author Topic: Got scoot back!!!  (Read 3147 times)

Kimcofan

• View Profile
Got scoot back!!!
« on: March 06, 2010, 10:58:43 PM »
Well I got my scoot back and after letting them know they should have called me and told me it was going to be more time, they agreed to charge me an hour, but it's not like it helped any the scoot still isnt working it starts but there is a whole new set of problems now. There is a tapping in the motor and no power what so ever I am not taking it back to the shop. Anyone have any suggestions,  I think maybe the valves arent set correctly and it may be tapping on the valves even though they said they were set correctly.  I still have no idea about the power issue I did not try to ride it but when i gave it throttle the bike did not move at all tire spun when off the ground but any weight no go.  They also told me compression was good. I have a 86 jet in it i believe, could that be the problem since I put the 72 cc kit on , I dont feel like that would effect the power that much though.  Open to suggestions. :-\
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 11:35:17 PM by Kimcofan »

Shaka

• View Profile
Re: Got scoot back!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 12:36:35 AM »
The tapping could be caused by the stroke being slightly too long.  The valves may be set correctly, but the head is not tall enough.  Maybe you need a thicker cylinder gasket.  I'm not exactly sure how the 4 stroke kits come, but on my 2T I had to double up on the base gasket and head gasket to get the right clearance.  As for the jet, when you give it throttle does it want to die?  The 86 jet could very well be causing your loss of power. Especially if it idles but doesn't rev up.

Kimcofan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 12:54:45 AM »
It revs up the wheel moves when lifted off the ground but when on the ground revs but does not move as far as the head there is a new block and head on it the motor was rebuilt I may try doubling up the gasket but I think I might try to raise the valves first to see if that is the problem before taking apart, I hope I didnt bend the valves if they are set wrong. Didnt run scoot but for half a min or so
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 01:12:52 AM by Kimcofan »

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 03:36:11 AM »
I really don't know what else to suggest!  I just don't have a whole lot of experience with 4 strokes.  They are some different animals!  I'll keep thinking about it and post back if I think of anything profound. :-\

Kimcofan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 03:55:16 AM »
Yeah, this has been nothing but a pain in my ass.  I just want it to be running correctly.

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 05:33:44 AM »
I've been watching this thread off and on and now I'm feeling real bad about this bad luck you're having.  >:( I went back and read the whole story of the conversion from when you started.  Wish I knew what to tell you.  Only think that came to mind was this thread where the fellow had similar problems and it eventually worked out ok.  The bottom of the 1st page is where he finally gets it together and hears noise. Kymco 250cc - Can't Start it « 1 2 »  I know it's a long shot but hoping it might have some similarity to your situation.  Good luck to you.  Well, looks like the link doesn't work.  Look it up under the Technical forum here. It's on the 3 page of that.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 05:44:51 AM by Hoolander2 »

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 03:40:52 PM »
Can you feel any play in the wrist pin? Turn the engine foward, and back by hand. Loosen the head and see if the tapping goes away. If it does pull the head, invert it w/ the valves closed, and pour a small amount of fuel in it to see if the valves are seating. I don't understand how they could give it back w/out explaining any problems. Try those couple things, and post back
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Kimcofan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 06:02:32 AM »
I have not had a chance to work on my scoot yet, but I did have some questions.  If the valves are set too low could that cause my not having power issue?  Also I got some variator weights with the 72cc kit which didnt have the actual weight on them, I have a feeling they probably weigh more than my old ones, could this be a cause of my power problem?  When I put the cylinder on there was no play in the pins, everything was assembled to the manual.  I really have a feeling the shop adjusted my valves too low, I hope running it for the 20 seconds didnt bend a valve.  I will be working on it on Saturday so I will keep you updated, any input you guys have is helpful!   

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 06:39:33 AM »
I'm thinking if you changed to heavier rollers when you did the kit that may be the cause of your loss of power.  That would explain why when the scoot is on the stand the rear wheel turns, but has now power on the ground.  Really just a thought, because it does kinda sound like a cvt issue the way it revs with no load, but has no go!  Try putting your stock rollers back in there and see what happens.  I have a bunch of different sets of rollers, all of which aren't labeled!  I have a gram scale I throw them on.  I'm no expert with 4 strokes so I can't really offer any advice on the valves.  I would be raising hell with the shop you took it to if they are not right though!  Especially if any damage resulted from their incompetence!  You may want to find a good mechanic to get a second opinion!  Definitely check the rollers though!

Kimcofan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 10:49:57 PM »
I'll change the rollers and adjust the valves.  My friend seems to think the rollers wouldnt cause that much loss of power he said that even if the rollers are too heavy that the scoot should at least be able to pull its own weight any thoughts on that?

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 10:59:15 PM »
Not sure!  I know that the wrong weight rollers will make a tremendous difference!  Only one way to find out!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 11:32:29 PM »
Yeah! there is something else wrong. Have you looked at any of the utube vids. for the roller swap? It's a straight foward easy thing to do. you can pull the cvt cover, inspect it all, And if you are sure your valves are not hitting, start the scoot, and see what is happening inside the cvt. If you had anvils inside the var. the scoot would want to roll off the stand. you seem to have the opposite.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Kimcofan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2010, 03:27:10 AM »
I swapped the rollers myself very easy process, I will check out the transmission, but I really have a feeling all of these problems stem from the valves,  I am just brainstorming on other possibilities in case it isnt the cause of the problems.  Everything in the motor is brand new, the electrical system works, and the scoot starts.  So the only things I can think that are causing tapping and loss of power would be fuel problem, valves, cylinder, and transmission.  Considering the block, crank, piston, and head are all brand new ordered specifically for this scoot I doubt it has anything to do with the parts, it has to do with settings.
Because I put the 72cc kit on the scoot, would my valve adjustment be different than factory settings?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 04:50:06 AM by Kimcofan »

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2010, 04:52:42 AM »
Have you tried contacting the shop? I get the impression they may not tell you much but any clue from them? I agree it may be timing related but don't understand how they would just drop it on you!

Kimcofan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2010, 05:24:24 AM »
I dont think the shop will be any help.  They are mad at me for only paying for an hour when they tried to charge me for double for timing and valve adjustment when the scoot was already apart for them.  I also told them before they did the work I was only able to pay for an hour and they agreed in writing to that.  So pretty much i would have paid 2 times as much for a scoot that still didnt work.  Even if i paid for two hours and brought it back there telling them it still wasnt working they would probably try to charge me even more because thats how they seem to operate a business.
I wish the entire conversation with the shop was recorded because they were said "We will only work on it for an hour if more time is needed we will call you, we do not operate like regular shops we actually do what we say"

If you want it done right do it yourself!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()