Author Topic: Stereos, are they possible?  (Read 2659 times)

GrandVistaNat

• View Profile
Stereos, are they possible?
« on: March 09, 2010, 08:58:41 PM »
So I haven't even picked up my 2008 GV but i'm already looking for ways to improve it! I have seen some audio/speaker sets for sale online but wondered how hard they were to install and if anyone here had done it and how good they sounded? That was a really long run on sentence. Anyhow, I'm new here but look forward to talking with everyone and learning a lot along the way!

Natalie

Shaka

• View Profile
Re: Stereos, are they possible?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 09:19:26 PM »
I've seen those stereo systems with the speakers in the mirrors.  They look pretty cool!  I have a friend that installed a stereo on his scoot.  He just wired up a deck and small sub-woofer under the seat.  Then mounted some about 4" X "6 speaker in the compartment by your knees.  It worked pretty well!  I could hear it while riding along next to him.  It was always a crowd pleaser at parties too!

GrandVistaNat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 10:40:24 PM »
I'M not super handy at things...yet, but would love to try to hook something up. Definitely something waterproof! :-) if someone has any technical hookup details let me know.  Or if you're aroud Nashville I'll totally pay someone to set it up for me!

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 11:30:20 PM »
Nashville?  Hey, that's here!

Where'd you get the GV?  Did you buy it from Franck?

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 12:01:35 AM »
The easiest system I have seen is, Install a small 25wattx2 stereo amp, and a pair of speakers on the scoot. Using an Ipod with a micro stereo to rca adapter. you have a portable head unit. Just plug in under the seat, or anywhere you want. Nothing to be stolen/ get wet/ or worry about.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 12:08:16 AM »
Put the head unit and amp under the seat.  Then use some waterproof marine speakers mounted about anywhere.  My friend mounted them in the compartment where your knees are.  When he parked the scoot or it was raining he could close and lock that compartment.  When he wanted to ride with the tunes on the door popped off easily and could be stored under the seat.

GrandVistaNat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 04:27:49 AM »
Those all sound like doable options. I do have an iphone so I could definitely use that. I'm sure I could figure it out with a little assistance.

Jpres- Yes, Nashville! I'm supposed to be picking up my GV in Murfreesboro tomorrow but the guy seems to have disappeared now. I did go look at Franck's and really liked it. I was just a little concerned about the 17,000 miles. Should i be? I know he's babied it a lot! Josephine also said he had too!

GrandVistaNat

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 08:32:57 PM »
Update- I did pick up my GV this morning. I'm already in love!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 09:04:15 PM »
Very Cool! Hey, I forgot to say; Welcome aboard!  Here's a link to give you something to day dream about.   http://www.motorcyclespeakers.net/  WAYYYYY over priced but there a a few ideas for you.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

GrandVistaNat

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 09:16:59 PM »
They definitely had some cool stuff. I'm usually pretty thrify. I wonder if I could find all the parts I need around town...thrift stores, pawn shops, etc? What do you think? What all exactly would i need?

GrandVistaNat

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 09:22:10 PM »
What about this? http://www.easy-motorcycle.com/shark-motorcycle-scooter-system-w-radioamp-2-speakers-p-95.html?zenid=5lo0nc3t6uget83v2j0nkd9rg3

Also saw a couple of options of Amazon for around the same or less.....

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2010, 12:01:29 AM »
Now you're talking! The only mandate is the weather proof speakers. Radio shack can supply an amp, and Ipod adapter. Under $50.00 I would bet, so the speakers are about 29.00 from the sit you found. Looks like a fair deal! Don't try to go too cheap tho. You may be disappointed.

GrandVistaNat

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2010, 02:46:12 AM »
Yeah- if I'm going to all the trouble to get this set up I definitely want it to sound good and last! There's only certain things you can accept less quality on. Thanks for your input! I hope to get this installed by summertime for longer trips!

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2010, 05:17:01 PM »
...i have my mp4 player velcro-ed to the back of my helmet...

..cabling runs beneath the padding..

..earbuds are behind the ear-flaps inside my helmet...

..i can jam and it's not so loud that i can't hear outside sounds...

;D
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

rick71

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2010, 06:43:31 PM »
I'm thinking of getting a Sirius Stiletto portable satellite radio. I think I should be able to use earbuds, portable speakers, or a USB headphone.
Rick

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()